Thread: American bullfrogs?

timscrape

Default American bullfrogs?

Can anyone tell me how easy American bullfrogs are to care for? My son has a pacman frog and I was wondering if they take about the same care? Also, I have heard that they are very voracious eaters, eating everything in sight. Even more so than pacmans. Is this correct? And one last question. How big of a tank would be a good size to keep one or two? Thanks.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: American bullfrogs?

American bullfrogs and pacmans are quite different, bullfrogs are very active and require a large space with a substantial water area. The tank should be a minimum of 36 inches long. Do not keep these frogs together, both are known to be cannibalistic. The best place to keep bullfrogs properly is in a horse watering tank.
    Terry Gampper
    Nebraska Herpetological Society

“If we can discover the meaning in the trilling of a frog, perhaps we may understand why it is for us not merely noise but a song of poetry and emotion.”
    ---
    Adrian Forsyth

Nationality
    [United States]

Yes, it is best to house them alone. The males get big. I have mine in a 55 gal and will need to upgrade soon. He spends 99% of the time swimming and peeking out from under his water plants. Once in awhile he sits on top on his rock cave or waterfall. he likes to dive off and glide across the tank. The swimming space is good to help keep their muscle tone. They are not hard to care for but you need a good water filter. Mine eats well, though he has become spoiled and prefers freshly molted dubias over night crawlers or crickets. He occasionally will eat a guppy, in which a few are housed with him for that purpose, if he chooses.
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

timscrape

Thanks for the replies. With all that info I think my son and I will be waiting a little while to get involved with bullfrogs. They seem like they would be a really fun frog but I just can't devote that much room to another frog right now. But thanks for the info. Now I know my starting point and the general direction things will go after that.

One more question. Are these frogs sold at pet stores or do they have to be wild caught?

Nationality
    [United States]

You're welcome. If ever you decide you'd like one, they're pretty awesome. Strong and bold, yet graceful in the water, great hunters, and the males have neat calls. I love their strength. We love ours . He's an albino. We purchased him as captive bred at our local pet store. They had two. Took about 2 weeks to adjust, now he comes right to the front of the tank and watches us as much as we like to watch him .
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I agree that giant frogs are awesome, but you do need have some space. I have a pond near my house and every summer I hear the bullfrogs calling.

Nationality
    [United States]

That would be awesome . My husb says he'll dig me a pond some day. Hopefully it will attract some nice frogs .

Duriel

They are pretty much "not picky" so long as you give them space. You can house them together if they are about the same size. I have 4 juveniles and they are together. I made an elevated "dry" side, but I've only seen one frog ever go there. They mostly just hide in the water. I need to redo the tank as the dry side is collapsing, so even though I just changed out their water, it looks almost black. It's dirt from the dry side, but I think they prefer the murk lol.

They are messy though. They eat a lot (so lots of poo) and shed frequently. Looks like plastic wrap floating around in the tank. Definitely use a filter for them.

Thread Information