Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: very skinny fbt needs some weight

lizarddude

Default very skinny fbt needs some weight

Hey guys. my fire belly toad recently lost a lot of weight. i can see the bones of his legs, and he has almost no fat on him. i have him alone in a ten gallon tank with about 2 inches of water, rocks with coco fiber and sphagnum moss on top, and a little turtle bridge thing. he also has a water heater and a florescent light. i usually feed him crickets that are fed the fluker cricket diet. recently i switched to wax worms for the past 2 days to fatten him up. i suspect some worms maybe since he is still active and jumping around. is there anything i can do to fatten him up some and get him healthy again thanks

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: very skinny fbt needs some weight

Quote Originally Posted by lizarddude View Post
    Hey guys. my fire belly toad recently lost a lot of weight. i can see the bones of his legs, and he has almost no fat on him. i have him alone in a ten gallon tank with about 2 inches of water, rocks with coco fiber and sphagnum moss on top, and a little turtle bridge thing. he also has a water heater and a florescent light. i usually feed him crickets that are fed the fluker cricket diet. recently i switched to wax worms for the past 2 days to fatten him up. i suspect some worms maybe since he is still active and jumping around. is there anything i can do to fatten him up some and get him healthy again thanks
    If he has a parasite you'll want to cure him of that before worrying about fattening him up. Otherwise it will not help and he will lose whatever nutrition you're providing. Have a fecal sample tested by a vet for parasites. Could be bacterial infection too, but I'm going to say that he has a parasite.

Anything else odd except a sudden loss in weight?

Post some pics of the frog and his enclosure.

lizarddude

Name:  IMG_0330.jpg
Views: 333
Size:  32.1 KBName:  IMG_0331.jpg
Views: 293
Size:  93.0 KB

lizarddude

you can see how skinny he is

Nationality
    [United States]

you can see how skinny he is
    He looks bad. Does he eat ok? How often do you feed him?

lizarddude

he eats fine. sometimes he has some trouble grabbing the crickets though. i usually feed him every other day.

Nationality
    [United States]

he eats fine. sometimes he has some trouble grabbing the crickets though. i usually feed him every other day.
    Do you use supplements and gut load his food?

lizarddude

i gut load his food with the fluker cricket diet. we dont use any calcium or anything since the food says it has extra calcium in it

Nationality
    [United States]

i gut load his food with the fluker cricket diet. we dont use any calcium or anything since the food says it has extra calcium in it
    Sometimes gutloading isn't enough. Are you able to take him to the Herp Vet?

lizarddude

the vet near me is incredibly pricey. a fecal costs around 60 bucks. i dont really have the money

Nationality
    [United States]

the vet near me is incredibly pricey. a fecal costs around 60 bucks. i dont really have the money
    $60.00 is pricey. It only costs me $20.00. Is that the Herp Vet? You could take a sample to a regular Vet for an exam if its cheaper, but he will need a Vet. If he has parasites you'll need meds.

lizarddude

he treats everything. ive been to him a couple times. there are different vets, i just need to see there prices

Nationality
    [United States]

he treats everything. ive been to him a couple times. there are different vets, i just need to see there prices
    Get a fecal done and then focus the cost twards treatment from the actual Herp Vet. First things first is figuring out what's ailing him.

I have some medical text so I'll check to see what may be some causes.

lizarddude

okayi will try to get a fecal done. in the meantime is there anything i can do?

Nationality
    [United States]

okayi will try to get a fecal done. in the meantime is there anything i can do?
    Keep feeding him and keep his climate consistant. Clean water as well. Offer him earthworms. They're very nutritious and easy to digest.

KittyKat90

If it's nothing major and he just needs to be fattened up... I've been feeding mine Butter Worms every other day and they are looking healthier every second.

lizarddude

what is the best place to get earthworms? i know there was some problems with bait and tackle stores as well as just digging them up

Nationality
    [United States]

what is the best place to get earthworms? i know there was some problems with bait and tackle stores as well as just digging them up
    To my knowledge regular bait shop earthworms are fine, just clean them off and use a scissor to make them into more manageable pieces if needed.

Just avoid the funky stuff, like dyes or any other 'enhancements' they may do to them to make them 'better' for fishing.

The ones sold at Wal Mart should be just fine, I feed them to my clawed frogs, no issues and eaten with enthusiasm.

I would avoid red worms (red wrigglers) and stick with canadian nightcrawlers. I believe when cut red wrigglers secrete more 'snot' when threatened and I don't believe it's toxic to frogs it makes them much less appetizing and the frog may reject it.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by mpmistr View Post
    To my knowledge regular bait shop earthworms are fine, just clean them off and use a scissor to make them into more manageable pieces if needed.

Just avoid the funky stuff, like dyes or any other 'enhancements' they may do to them to make them 'better' for fishing.

The ones sold at Wal Mart should be just fine, I feed them to my clawed frogs, no issues and eaten with enthusiasm.

I would avoid red worms (red wrigglers) and stick with canadian nightcrawlers. I believe when cut red wrigglers secrete more 'snot' when threatened and I don't believe it's toxic to frogs it makes them much less appetizing and the frog may reject it.
    Red Wigglers are toxic to certain animals just not frogs. The mucus they secrete as a defence mechanism is noxious. It smells and tastes bad to deter predators from eating them. The way around this is to just not cut the worm so that they don't secrete this substance. Night Crawlers are better though.

lizarddude

i dont have any walmarts near me. its not okay to just dig them up right? is there any foods that might fatten him up some? he doesnt look that good

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information