Thread: Weird crocking/sucking noise?

loganste123

Default Weird crocking/sucking noise?

Okay So my frog winston is doing much better than last time I posted on here. Redid the whole tank with the right bedding. So I got some meal worms today to see if he would eat them (he is a white lipped tree frog) and I pulled him out and he was a little nervous and he started making these little noises. I have never heard him croak, but when i was holding him he was almost making a noise where he was sucking in air through his mouth and making a little noise. Any advice on what this is and how i should feed him meal worms?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Gold

Default Re: Weird crocking/sucking noise?

I do not own this species, but from what i sounds like it could be a defence mechanism.

Put the mealworms in a glass bowl in his cage and let him do his thing, mealworms aren't great at climbing. Mealworms should only be fed occasionally and even then I wouldn't do more than one or two in a sitting, depending on the size of the frog and the worms. They're hard and not very nutritious.

The croaking noise may be a release call (some frogs do this to chase off another frog trying to initiate amplexus), or some will croak when alarmed or frightened or being eaten (a leopard frog being eaten by a snake makes a horrid noise). Best bet is to not handle him any more than absolutely necessary, like cage cleanings or if you suspect a health problem that needs close inspection.

loganste123

lol i guess i wont do that anymore. It could also be because it was on a glass table and you could see through it

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Weird crocking/sucking noise?

Yes, it sounds as though he may have been frightened.

Try feeding crickets. Mealworms can be tough to digest. It's hard to break down the chitin in their segments. You can also cut small pieces of earthworm. He'll likely chase the crickets due to their fast movement...it triggers their instincts to hunt .

Being he is a bit stressed, it make take him a day to relax and want to eat.
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Thread Information