Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Upgrading Zoidberg's tank!

HerpDerp

Default Upgrading Zoidberg's tank!

I'm excited that I'm upgrading zoidbergs tank and I think this is a "frog forum" but I just had to share! This past fall I caught a crayfish from a small retention pond in a sand pit. It was pretty polluted so I figured he'd be better off in a tank anyways. I couldn't identify him right away because his shell was coated in nasty brown grime so I had to wait for a molt. Finally he molted and I identified him as a virile or northern crayfish. They can get about 5 inches from what I've read. He's in a 5.5 right now so an upgrade is in order!

I thought I would take advantage of the $1 per gallon sale at petco. I'm going to get a 15 long and construct my own lid for it with leftover egg crate and screen from my false bottom. I plan on having a pretty steep grade on the bottom so he can come partially out of the water when he wants to. I'm also buying sand for the new tank to mix with the gravel which I think he'll be quite happy about. I will be sure to post some before and after photos of the new set up too! I'm off to the store later today .

Any other ideas for those of you who are aquarium/crustacean savvy? (Bill perhaps? lol)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Australia]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Upgrading Zoidberg's tank!

Can't wait to see some photos im sure it's gonna look great and Zoidberg will be very happy in his new home, Are you going to Put live plants in there with him?
    ~ Australian frogs Gotta love them

HerpDerp

I'll have to post some pictures tomorrow when the water clears up a bit. It's super cloudy right now thanks to a combo of the new sand and the old water used to seed this tank. I actually ended up getting a 20 long because there weren't any 15 gallons there. Can't say I regret it . I got 3 feeder guppies thinking maybe food, or a cool addition if he decides not to eat them. They've all survived so far so I'm thinking I may be able to get a few more and let them breed a bit. I'm sure Zoidberg wont mind the occasional snack LOL. And I know my WTFs will like the treat once in a while too.

I tried a couple live plants in the 5.5 gallon he was originally in. They lasted about a day before they were all uprooted and snipped up. He did have some fun jamming them in the rocks on the outside of his cave though hehe. So no live plants for this set up.

HerpDerp

I know not many people see this, but I'll keep updating anyways! I don't seem to have a clear "before" picture of his old tank since I only got close ups of him. So here are some pictures:
    This is Zoidberg in his first home. It was just a 5.5 and about half full, so not much water in there!
    Name:  10.26.2012 003.jpg
Views: 389
Size:  78.7 KB
    This is the whole tank. It looks a little bare since I only have a few decorations from the 5.5, but I'm going to get some of those tall fake plants so they partially float on the surface. Not sure if you can see, but all three feeder guppies are still alive!
    Name:  12.30.2012 001.jpg
Views: 4433
Size:  59.7 KB
    I did half sand and half gravel so he has different surfaces to dig in. He seems to appreciate it. These are some rocks that I took out of a river in northern Maine. I boiled them and cleaned them before putting them in.
    Name:  12.30.2012 002.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  80.7 KB
    I just threw these rocks together without really thinking much of it and he decided to dig under one and build up a gravel wall in the front. I'm very excited to see how he "remodels" the set up.
    Name:  12.30.2012 006.jpg
Views: 257
Size:  68.9 KB

And after putting this in my bedroom it occurred to me that the trickling from the filter might bother me while I try to sleep. I was correct. I ended up unplugging it halfway through the night. SO I've ordered a high quality corner filter that's powered by an air stone to do my filtration. The water level will be brought down a little bit when I get it so he can poke out of the water if he wants. I also forgot to take pictures of the lid I constructed. I'm rather proud of it actually lol. The egg crate that I had leftover wasn't long enough so I have a second 4inch wide piece that I had to make. I left the ends open on both pieces so they interlock together. I love it because I can drop shrimp pellets anywhere in the tank without having to work around a solid lid!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

After keeping several crayfish over the years I have learned one thing. It is their tank and they're going to design and shape it as they see fit. They don't seem to like it when we remodel it for them, every time I would set up my tank as I wanted it my blue would have it completely different in 2 days. They are awesome little critters, a lot of fun to watch thanks for sharing

HerpDerp

His 5 gallon never looked the same from day to day! I'm just waiting for all that gravel to end up mixed with the sand. In the 5 gallon he would take all of the bigger white rocks and pile them together so I bet he makes a nice pile of black gravel somewhere in the sand LOL.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

yeah there quite the little Architects. I know mine turned all the gravel from underneath my black sand to on top of the sand, and yeah live plants just don't work.

looks great Michelle! Zoidberg looks very happy in his new crib sorry, i got tied up in a little project today. crayfish are greatlittle creatures. i never kept any "normal" sized ones. but i used to breed cpo's back in the day. since they were small, they never bothered my plants or shrimp. they would just dig their caves and crawl out to feed. i think i have to get more of those little suckers one of these days now all you have to do in the summer is go scouting areas out and find him a girlfriend and you can have Zoid-ettes....lol
    1.0.0 Oophaga Pumilio 'Black Jeans'
    0.0.10 Phyllobates Vittatus
    0.0.3 Phyllobates Terribilis 'Mint'
    0.0.3 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Patricia'
    0.0.5 Dendrobates Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Powder Blue'
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya Variabilis 'southern'
    0.0.3 Epipedobates Anthonyi 'zarayunga'
    1.2.0 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus'
    0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    1.0.0 Tabby/Maine Coon Mix
    2.1.0 Genetics Experiments
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

deeishealthy

The things you learn... I would so enjoy watching such an industrious creature. Huh!

HerpDerp

Thanks, Bill! I just looked up CPOs. They look really cool. I wish I could get stuff like that around here! As it is, I'm "technically" not supposed have Zoidberg... hehe. I'm sure I don't have to worry about a game warden coming and busting down my door anytime soon though LOL. A female would be pretty awesome, but I'm fairly certain the tank is just a bit too small for two. Zoidberg is territorial when I put my finger to the glass, I can only imagine what he would do to another crayfish! But ironically enough, he hasn't touched the feeder guppies. So I have 5 females now and three males. And I got an odd little bonus with them: A water beetle!? I know feeders can have all sorts of weird things shipped with them thanks to being bred in outdoor ponds... but this is strange to me lol. I put it in my tank (what else can I do?? I wouldn't want to kill it) and it seems to just do its own thing... for now lol. I figure it will either control guppy populations or Zoidberg will control the water beetle population LOL.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Crayfish are cool critters. There used to be a site dedicated to keeping them but it shut down.

HerpDerp

Quote Originally Posted by exasperatus2002 View Post
    Crayfish are cool critters. There used to be a site dedicated to keeping them but it shut down.
    It's surprisingly tough to find good info on keeping crayfish. It all seems to be the same info over and over again. And even though most are cold water species the majority of info I've found was on tropical species, go figure! A site like that would have been helpful lol. So far I've just used my knowledge of typical Maine habitat and waters do care for him, along with some further research on their typical habitat. This has got to be the easiest species to care for though since they're known to be invasive outside of their typical range lol. And I found him in a nasty pond full of chemicals and very low oxygen levels.

On another note, the bug in my tank is NOT a water beetle. After some research I have discovered that it is a water boatman bug that is herbivorous. So much for it controlling baby guppy blooms! Very cool addition to my tank though! Wonder what other critters I could keep to make it more natural... LOL.

NatureLady

I keep some at my work also. They are my little interior decorators and mine love minnows as a snack. I house mine with a Green Sunfish and two very quick rosy minnows. I put plant cuttings into my tank to allow mine to explore, eat, and destroy every now and then.

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Upgrading Zoidberg's tank!

Very cool! I like the set-up. Can't wait to see his remodeling. I do hope you'll keep us updated.

We used to catch and release crayfish every year from a nearby creek. Fun .

He's great! I love the photos of him peeking out.
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Nationality
    [United States]

heres a care sheet I found for north Americans, it's written for blue cray's but they are just a color morph of the common ones. I've been looking around for info as I'm thinking about getting one in the spring. NORTH AMERICAN CRAYFISH CARE SHEET North American crayfish should be kept at 55
    2.0 Bombina orientalis
    1.0 Bufo americanus
    0.1.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    0.1 Xenopus laevis

All my arachnids and other inverts listed in my profile

Michelle, hit plantedtank.net go to the shrimp and inverts subforum. If you don't find the info you are looking for, just post your questions. It may take a day or two, but there will probably be someone who has or who has kept your species. I know a lot of people keep crays in planted tanks. Just don't go asking for a caresheet, we don't do them.......lol
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

HerpDerp

Matthew: Thanks! I had found that page when I first got my crayfish and hadn't been able to find it since then! A lot of useful information there.

Bill: I can't believe anyone would want to keep crays in a planted tank! I had plants in his tank originally and the pulled them all up and ate them within a few days LOL. I will definitely visit that site though to make sure I'm not missing any good info to have!

And I'll definitely update as he moves things around and as I add more fake plants. I plan on getting some long plastic plants that will come up and partially float on the surface so he has something climb on besides the rocks. I think I may have sent the tank into a mini cycle with the new guppies. It's extremely cloudy now, but I don't have a test kit (I know, shame on me). Not much I can do now but keep up with water changes until it's over and hope that the new filter comes soon!

Nationality
    [United States]

No problem. do you have a light you place over his tank or do you just use room light? I can't decide what to do for my future set up, I'm leaning towards a lamp with a dimmer on top of the screen so I can set it to a timer
    2.0 Bombina orientalis
    1.0 Bufo americanus
    0.1.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    0.1 Xenopus laevis

All my arachnids and other inverts listed in my profile

yeah Michelle, we planted tank folk are frickin nuts!!LOL a buddy of mine actually breeds cpo's and other crays, i put in a pm to him to see what info he can offer. it may take a day or two, but he will get back to me eventually. then i have to decode his pm, english is not his first language...LOL
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

HerpDerp

Quote Originally Posted by MatthewM1 View Post
    No problem. do you have a light you place over his tank or do you just use room light? I can't decide what to do for my future set up, I'm leaning towards a lamp with a dimmer on top of the screen so I can set it to a timer
    I actually do not have any kind of lighting for him. Crayfish tend to not like a lot of light since they're nocturnal. And their natural habitat (for this species anyways) is ponds and slow moving streams which would have a lot of nice dark places for them. He definitely seems more comfortable with the minimal light that he gets. I'm thinking of getting a small strip light to put on the top for when I want to view him better but I'm going to wait until Have more fake plants giving surface cover so he can get out of the light if he wants.

Quote Originally Posted by deranged chipmunk View Post
    yeah Michelle, we planted tank folk are frickin nuts!!LOL a buddy of mine actually breeds cpo's and other crays, i put in a pm to him to see what info he can offer. it may take a day or two, but he will get back to me eventually. then i have to decode his pm, english is not his first language...LOL
    Lol I guess so! My crayfish even uproots fake plants! I can only imagine the battle trying to get everything from being destroyed haha. Any extra info would be great! Thanks!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information