Thread: Cane Toad- Just wondering if I'm doing it right?

Stickyfeet

Default Cane Toad- Just wondering if I'm doing it right?

I rescued my Cane toad, Mud from some people that were not caring for him. Some kind of active bacterial infection had left him nearly toeless on both back feet, and very lethargic and thin. I took him to the vet and treated him with lots of antibiotics and frequent soaks, and now he has been 100% healthy and growing for almost a year.

Originally I housed him in a hospital tank on damp paper towels, but once it was clear he was maintaining his health I moved him to a 33gl long with a coco fiber substrate. He has a glass pie plate for a water dish, a large half log wood hide, and two potted philodendrons. He also has a heat lamp that keeps the warm side in the mid 70s F, and I mist him and his tank daily. I spot clean when he decides not to poop in his water dish, and I change his water at least every other day. I unearth and check him over thoroughly about every other day, and I give him a warm water soak whenever I see some unshed skin, which always takes care of the problem.

He eats well and appears plump and healthy (although still incredibly shy). As far as I've seen there have been no problems. The only reason I'm posting this forum is because I've found there is not much information available about the captive care of Cane toads, and I'm just wondering if anyone has some experience with their care. Is there anything I should be doing differently or watching out for? Is the temperature in the correct range, etc.?

Thank you,
    Joleen

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Murray of the Deep

Default Re: Cane Toad- Just wondering if I'm doing it right?

Quote Originally Posted by Stickyfeet View Post
    I rescued my Cane toad, Mud from some people that were not caring for him. Some kind of active bacterial infection had left him nearly toeless on both back feet, and very lethargic and thin. I took him to the vet and treated him with lots of antibiotics and frequent soaks, and now he has been 100% healthy and growing for almost a year.

Originally I housed him in a hospital tank on damp paper towels, but once it was clear he was maintaining his health I moved him to a 33gl long with a coco fiber substrate. He has a glass pie plate for a water dish, a large half log wood hide, and two potted philodendrons. He also has a heat lamp that keeps the warm side in the mid 70s F, and I mist him and his tank daily. I spot clean when he decides not to poop in his water dish, and I change his water at least every other day. I unearth and check him over thoroughly about every other day, and I give him a warm water soak whenever I see some unshed skin, which always takes care of the problem.

He eats well and appears plump and healthy (although still incredibly shy). As far as I've seen there have been no problems. The only reason I'm posting this forum is because I've found there is not much information available about the captive care of Cane toads, and I'm just wondering if anyone has some experience with their care. Is there anything I should be doing differently or watching out for? Is the temperature in the correct range, etc.?

Thank you,
    Joleen
    I have a cane toad I found on out door step and took care of him he's growing bigger now but he's still a baby and he loves to hide on rocks , and so picky he only eats mealworms and crickets rarely but he isnt shy he lets me handle him and would show himself out and sit on top of his rock and sit there and relax!

BugBoy99

I don't have any useful information to add to this thread. But, I just wanted to say that I think Bufo marinus is one of the most interesting true toads out there. I hope you find the information that you're looking for!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Cane Toad- Just wondering if I'm doing it right?

I don't know much about cane toads, but I wanted to say great job with saving him! It sounds as though you've given him a nice home.

Do you have any photos?
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

deeishealthy

I have nothing to add either, other than how much I admire your integrity in rescuing your guy.

arielgasca420

Hey!
    You should search cane toad in the search box on this site and it will show all posts that include that word. Some people on this site have cane toads and could help you out, the only problem is that I dont know how often they are online.
    I could only imagine that the cane toad will not need a 80% humidity like a tropical frog. You may be able to keep it at 60-70%% since arizona and Southern CA get dry. Dont take my advice as truth, but I can only make an educated guess that the normal temp should be around 90 degrees F since arizona is hotter than a tropical climate.
    Good luck and bless your heart to give him a home. I would do the same in your situation

demon amphibians

I just got a male and a female cane toad a few weeks ago. Both about 4 inches for snout to vent, upon receiving them I did a bit of in-depth research and found next to nothing. But what i did find is they do better with temps between 68 and 82, with low humidity but a shallow water dish to soak in. they will be mostly active at night so it is better to feed at night. When I received my toads they refused to eat. i tried to offer several options such as earthworms, crickets, superworms, waxworms, pinkies and dubia roaches. They would not eat any of these. I had them housed in coco husk even after 2 weeks they still seemed stressed, even though I check up on them twice a day, with the lights off and almost no disturbance. I just knew I was doing something wrong. So i spoke to a friend who owns a pet store, he suggested giving them a natural atmosphere so i got a few fake plants, some gravel from a pond (of course I sterilized with boiling water) put a few logs and rocks in a 40 gallon tank, made a few places to hide, a water dish and a black heat light that keeps the tank at about 78 degrees. Then I tried dog food. And believe it or not that is the only thing that they will eat. So I realized even thought they are a very sturdy animal they still need some privacy. i think the more comfortable they get with their new home the more types of foods they will be interested in. also to keep your toad healthy dust its food with calcium powder to prevent bone lost. Use every 3rd feeding. I own several types of frogs and i will say this, frogs and toads although may seem a lot the same; require a much different type of care. Also I am in need of any useful tips any toad owner has. Thanks

toadstillcane

Quote Originally Posted by demon amphibians View Post
    I just got a male and a female cane toad a few weeks ago. Both about 4 inches for snout to vent, upon receiving them I did a bit of in-depth research and found next to nothing. But what i did find is they do better with temps between 68 and 82, with low humidity but a shallow water dish to soak in. they will be mostly active at night so it is better to feed at night. When I received my toads they refused to eat. i tried to offer several options such as earthworms, crickets, superworms, waxworms, pinkies and dubia roaches. They would not eat any of these. I had them housed in coco husk even after 2 weeks they still seemed stressed, even though I check up on them twice a day, with the lights off and almost no disturbance. I just knew I was doing something wrong. So i spoke to a friend who owns a pet store, he suggested giving them a natural atmosphere so i got a few fake plants, some gravel from a pond (of course I sterilized with boiling water) put a few logs and rocks in a 40 gallon tank, made a few places to hide, a water dish and a black heat light that keeps the tank at about 78 degrees. Then I tried dog food. And believe it or not that is the only thing that they will eat. So I realized even thought they are a very sturdy animal they still need some privacy. i think the more comfortable they get with their new home the more types of foods they will be interested in. also to keep your toad healthy dust its food with calcium powder to prevent bone lost. Use every 3rd feeding. I own several types of frogs and i will say this, frogs and toads although may seem a lot the same; require a much different type of care. Also I am in need of any useful tips any toad owner has. Thanks
    you werent giving time for your toads to settelle in mine took 3 weeks that was my 1st one 2nd femalle ate stariaght away greedy she is alsohave you weighed your toads as you want to keep an eye out as female will eat more also worms take time mine anit took a worm yert but they are wild animals thinki about it i pick yuou up an tell you when you can eat etc lol. also night time is best for feeding toads as they are noctural but ecco earth is ok imusing it better then sterlised top soil which is hard dirty also why you using lights man no need lol except for plants lol. they need 12 an 12 thats right 12 hours off natural light an 12 hrs darkness also i think checking on them 2 to 3 rtimes a day was stressing your toads out also change your water every day as the pooo in water a lot

Thread Information