Thread: Frog will pee, just not poop.... really really picky eater as well.

NewFrogDude

Default Frog will pee, just not poop.... really really picky eater as well.

So here we go I got my little guy like a month ago and everything was going okay up until about 2 weeks ago when I finally got his tank stabilized. Its a 10g, hes the only one in there, water changes are daily as well as tank mistings. However he started turning his nose up at crickets so I got some wax worms and he devoured them. I dusted the crickets and wax worms with calcium as well. But now, nothing, he refuses to eat anything. I have him in a warm bath now to see if he will poop but he is just looking at me like he is going to kill me. I think I feel something on the right side of his abdomen, which is indicative of impaction as well. He also seems to be in a constant state of shedding. I know they will eat their own shed as well, could that be what is filling him up? When I got up he was sitting in his water bowl this morning and has been there pretty much all day long. Is this a normal occurrence?

Name:  IMG_0384.jpg
Views: 4307
Size:  43.6 KBName:  IMG_0385.jpg
Views: 9211
Size:  46.3 KB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Locascio

Default Re: Frog will pee, just not poop.... really really picky eater as well.

hes most likely fine give him a worm honey bath the right side lump is everything youve bin feeding him it will all come out sooner or later no worrys

NewFrogDude

Okay I did the warm bath no honey... I will pick some up tomorrow and try again.

Not to derail my own thread, but what is his coloring? According to the pet store all his tag said was Fantasy Ornate Horned Pac-Man Frog.

Locascio

you dont need much a few drops in there water will do wonders it works for me.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

He's just a fantasy pacman frog. Nice coloring on him

They are from cornuta x cranwelli

Some can be picky eaters. Best to try a few different food items.

Sent from my LG-C800 using Tapatalk 2

Nationality
    [United States]

Two weeks is getting a bit long for one so little (I can't tell, but he looks pretty tiny in those pics). Don't offer food again until it poops, and try to find something he'll eat other than waxworms. Those can cause impaction, though not quite as bad as some other foods like meal worms.
    For the honey baths, just put three or four drops of honey in the luke-warm water. You can also gently rub the lump on his side; that sometimes helps. Just make sure to be very gentle and leave the frog room to move away when you're doing anything like that.

NewFrogDude

How long does it usually take to get them too poop?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Some will go the next day but usually within 5 days.

Try the honey soak for about 10 minutes then add some water and let it swim for a minute or two. Don't over do it. Just enough to get him to push it through his system.

For my old gaboon and rhino vipers I had to let them swim in warm water to get them to go to the bathroom. Because they are not active animals they don't always go right after they eat. Same with the pacs. Its worked for me on a few of my frogs that I had problems with.

Sent from my LG-C800 using Tapatalk 2

NewFrogDude

Update!!!!!

We have ****!!!!!

That is all.

NewFrogDude

Quote Originally Posted by NewFrogDude View Post
    Update!!!!!

We have ****!!!!!

That is all.

Coincidentally, he is now sitting there. I'm not an expert but he really does not look happy all tall.

Ribbits

What temp were you soaking him at? What feels warm to the touch for humans is likely too hot for your frog.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by NewFrogDude View Post
    Coincidentally, he is now sitting there. I'm not an expert but he really does not look happy all tall.
    He's part cornuta, they always look grumpy =p
    2.0 Bombina orientalis
    1.0 Bufo americanus
    0.1.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    0.1 Xenopus laevis

All my arachnids and other inverts listed in my profile

mchell43

Hi Ive had mine 5 weeks , but mine is over 6 months and size of my palm. She only seems to poop once a week or more, and only eats around 4 size 5 (XL) hoppers. Last night only 3 she kept pushing the last one away. They are not the eating machines I thought they were lol. Mine seems happy enough and sings away, all temps fine 83 tops in day 78 night I mist as I should. I wouldnt worry Im sure yours will be fine . Mine did get stressed when I bathed her , which I did twice when I worried about no pooping. She seemed to only poop in bath , but now does it without bath still only after 9 days or so.

Nationality
    [United States]

hi! I got my c. ornate 3 weeks ago. she ate very well loves minnows by the way. but I hadnt seen any poop for the whole 3 weeks. she is on coco so I have changed her tank once already still did not see any poop. soooo I yesterday I checked on her she was in her water dish looking at me like please can I have a little privacy. so yes you guessed it she left me a little suprise. so I am glad that both of our frogs are a little relaxed today lol.

mchell43

Quote Originally Posted by Leaper View Post
    hi! I got my c. ornate 3 weeks ago. she ate very well loves minnows by the way. but I hadnt seen any poop for the whole 3 weeks. she is on coco so I have changed her tank once already still did not see any poop. soooo I yesterday I checked on her she was in her water dish looking at me like please can I have a little privacy. so yes you guessed it she left me a little suprise. so I am glad that both of our frogs are a little relaxed today lol.
    Sorry what are minnows he he

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by mchell43 View Post
    Sorry what are minnows he he
    minnows are fishermen bait around here. about a $1.20 dz a nice meal.

Nationality
    [United States]

no hijacking people .

Word of advice about feeding fish. Most fish contain Thiaminase which is a chemical that can cause your frog's body to block the metaboliation of Vitamin B1. A Vitamin B1 deficiency can cause your frog to be very ill. Feed fish sparingly as treats just as you would rodents. Once a month is best.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    no hijacking people .

Word of advice about feeding fish. Most fish contain Thiaminase which is a chemical that can cause your frog's body to block the metaboliation of Vitamin B1. A Vitamin B1 deficiency can cause your frog to be very ill. Feed fish sparingly as treats just as you would rodents. Once a month is best.
    Not trying to continue hijacking, but just wanted to add in; silversides are safe. They are commonly sold frozen in petstores.
    Guppies are also thiaminase-free, but should only be used on baby animals that are 'non-eaters' and will take nothing else, as they are usually kept in overcrowded conditions in stores and often carry diseases. Same goes for safe species of minnows; huge parasite risk.

IMO fish of any sort aren't worth the trouble no more often than you're supposed to feed them to a pac, unless you have a lot of frogs or some other fish-eating reptile that can eat the rest of the package.

Thread Information