Thread: Bearded Dragon Help

frognerd101

Default Bearded Dragon Help

My dad recently got me a habitat kit to keep bearded dragons. It is a 20 gallon long (36"by12"by12"), but everyone is telling me that it is too small for an adult bearded dragon. However, I volunteer at a zoo that has bearded dragons that they take out for the public to see, and the cages are even smaller than my 20 gallon. Is it possible to house a bearded dragon in this tank for its whole life? If not, I can always find a cheap 40 gallon cage, but I would prefer to house him in this cage his whole life.

I could also get a mali uromastyx or a chuckwalla, if that would be better.

Thank you all for your help!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Sean22

Default Re: Bearded Dragon Help

I've had a few bearded dragons before, You'll definitely need a larger tank when it gets to be an adult.
    Enjoy your beardie!

Bearded Dragon . org - Bearded Dragon Care Sheet

"Young Beardies under 10 inches in length can be housed in a 20gal long aquarium. This will last them for a few months only though as they grow quickly. Adult Dragons should be housed in nothing smaller than a 40gal breeder tank. I prefer using 55gal aquariums due to the extra length it gives them to run and they are easily found at most Pet stores. Screen lids should be used for the top of any aquarium style cages you use. Do not use glass, plexiglass or wood to cover your cages. This will not allow enough air circulation and will also trap humidity in the cage. Screen tops allow air flow, allow your lighting and heat sources to work correctly and also allow humidity to escape."

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

IMO humidity is good. i dont believe beardies live in a dry place.

look over this as well. Bearded Dragon . org • View topic - monitor husbandry for bearded dragon

4x2x2 is the minimum size or a 55gallon.

Nationality
    [United States]

and that cage is WAY to small for a chuck or a uro i wouldnt even use it for a baby beardie it would be very difficult to get the correct temps in that sized cage.

arielgasca420

Hello, I have a bearded dragon too so I can share some of my experience with you.
    Bearded dragons do need to be soaked in warm declorinated water once a week for about 20 mins-40 mins. On top of that I mist mine a few times a week and she loves it while she is basking.
    Beared dragons hate it when you change up their enclosure so a 40 gallon will be big enough to house one for its entire life. a 20 gallon is only used for babies.
    ok, so the reason you need a bigger tank for an adult bearded dragon is so they can have a tempurature flucuation. all reptiles pretty much need a hot spot and cool spot. the cool spot should have a water dish and there should be some sort of hollow log or ramp for them to bask. the cool spot is 85 degrees in the day time and My basking spot is at 106 degrees farenheit which is preferable, but I have heard of people going higher without exceeding 115. Get a night bulb that is heated. (maybe 75 watt?) for night time heat. if you dont then you run the risk of brumation in the winter.
    to be honest, this isnt the best place to look for bearded dragon expertise. try the bearded dragon forum. thats where I go if I have any questions or concerns. I hope this helps.
    Uromastyx are roughly the same size as a beardie and will need a 40 gallon as well.
    Chuckwallas could fit in a 40 gallon, but I would suggest a 90 gallon for a pair
    if you want to stick with the 20 gallon and never upgrade then get a leopard gecko. they are cute, hardy, and simple (but not too simple)

Nationality
    [United States]

beardies have been known to bask at temps over 160F its all up to what your lizard prefers.

ariel, chucks get around 15" and very thick a 40 gallon is way to small for them i wouldn't even put one in a fish tank. Same with a mali uro

arielgasca420

i understand this which is why I suggested a 90 gallon for a pair. we could correct eachother all day with husbandry technicalities but I think the main point is for frognerd101 to stick with a smaller type of reptile for the 20 gallon size tank that his dad just bought him.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by arielgasca420 View Post
    i understand this which is why I suggested a 90 gallon for a pair. we could correct eachother all day with husbandry technicalities but I think the main point is for frognerd101 to stick with a smaller type of reptile for the 20 gallon size tank that his dad just bought him.
    Wouldn't that be fun And yeah your right.

frognerd, have you given any thought to leopard geckos or African fat tailed geckos?

Thread Information