Thread: Dying frog??!!

cambaker

Default Dying frog??!!

About four days ago i noticed that one of my two frogs, the one thats always eaten well and is bigger (about 3inchs long) stopped moving and got light brown and stiff with his eyes closed, and was hardly responsive. Yesterday his eyes opened and he moved around, so i stopped worrying. however, today I found him similar to before but now his eyes were only half open and all I could see was the whites of his eyes. He doesn't look good and I'm really worried he could die. please help!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Dying frog??!!

Quote Originally Posted by cambaker View Post
    About four days ago i noticed that one of my two frogs, the one thats always eaten well and is bigger (about 3inchs long) stopped moving and got light brown and stiff with his eyes closed, and was hardly responsive. Yesterday his eyes opened and he moved around, so i stopped worrying. however, today I found him similar to before but now his eyes were only half open and all I could see was the whites of his eyes. He doesn't look good and I'm really worried he could die. please help!
    Don't panic yet. Does his skin look dry? Are your temps and humidity levels correct?

You need a bottle of Unflavored Pedialyte. Prepare a bath at a 10 to 1 ratio. For every 10 ounces of de-chlorinated water add 1 ounce Unflavored Pedialyte. Make sure the bath is warm and no deeper than up to his chin or chest level. The bath needs to be 78° to 80°. Soak until bath begins to cool then prepare another bath of the same temp level, but just plain de-chlorinated water and soak until water cools. After this bath cools place warm de-chlorinated water in his water dish and place him in there and leave him be. Keep his enclosure at 79° to 80° even at night for a day or two with 80% to 85% humidity. Make sure the substrate is moist.

Try this and keep me posted. He could be trying to aestivate.

Mercedesherp

Alternativly, your frog may be recognizing the approach of the storm about to enter your area. Any significant changes in weather may alter behaviours that one would consider as normal. Your frog
    may only be reacting to the weather frontal systems approaching your area. As this remains only a possibility, thoughts should also represent the re-hydration parameters outlined above by Griff.

Nationality
    [United States]

Can you put up a picture of your frog? When you say he got light brown, did you notice a sort of thick mucous-like covering over his body (sign of aestivation)?

It sounds like he's trying to aestivate, but it's a bit odd that he started then came out, then started again.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by DVirginiana View Post
    Can you put up a picture of your frog? When you say he got light brown, did you notice a sort of thick mucous-like covering over his body (sign of aestivation)?

It sounds like he's trying to aestivate, but it's a bit odd that he started then came out, then started again.
    Temp fluctuations could cause the frog to go in and out. Seasonal changes can cause all kinds of strange behavior.

Thread Information