Thread: Please help ASAP...... FBT problem??

Mr Bee

Default Please help ASAP...... FBT problem??

Merry Christmas everyone, and I know it's Christmas Day, but something odd happened to o e of my FBT's today.

I don't know if it matters, but yesterday I moved them into a new, bigger setup but used all the same stuff apart from new Eco earth and moss - though still the same as what was in their original setup.

Anyway, this morning I noticed one of them floating around and not really swimming properly and rubbing his head and eyes. Then he was sort of twitching and arching his back, getting his back legs and rubbing at his back. As I watched him for a minute or so, I noticed what looked like a kind of mucus covering him and restricting movement of his legs. He carried on twitching and rubbing for another minute, and seemed to rub whatever it was off him and get free of it.

Now he's swimming and climbing as normal. I can't see any lumps of mucus in the water or covering anything, don't know where it came from.

Do they secrete anything from their skin or something? The other 2 FBTs are fine, no problems.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Murray of the Deep

Default Re: Please help ASAP...... FBT problem??

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bee View Post
    Merry Christmas everyone, and I know it's Christmas Day, but something odd happened to o e of my FBT's today.

I don't know if it matters, but yesterday I moved them into a new, bigger setup but used all the same stuff apart from new Eco earth and moss - though still the same as what was in their original setup.

Anyway, this morning I noticed one of them floating around and not really swimming properly and rubbing his head and eyes. Then he was sort of twitching and arching his back, getting his back legs and rubbing at his back. As I watched him for a minute or so, I noticed what looked like a kind of mucus covering him and restricting movement of his legs. He carried on twitching and rubbing for another minute, and seemed to rub whatever it was off him and get free of it.

Now he's swimming and climbing as normal. I can't see any lumps of mucus in the water or covering anything, don't know where it came from.

Do they secrete anything from their skin or something? The other 2 FBTs are fine, no problems.
    Yes all toad do secrete, you saw that scratching thingy and rubbing it means he's molting my fbt did this also ,same to my cane toads.He molted nothing to worry unless he stops eating like mine now Ill try giving my fbt food tommorow again

Nationality
    [United States]

I agree with Jerome it sounds like he was shedding.
    2.0 Bombina orientalis
    1.0 Bufo americanus
    0.1.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    0.1 Xenopus laevis

All my arachnids and other inverts listed in my profile

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Definifely shedding.

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Please help ASAP...... FBT problem??

Agreed
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Nationality
    [United States]

^ what they said.......shedding.
    Rest in peace Rosie 5-31-12
    Rest in peace Rufus 2-7-14
    Rest in peace Morph 8-14-15

Mr Bee

Cool, thanks for the replies guys, I didn't even know they went through shedding!

is it like when reptiles have to she'd skin as they grow bigger? do they do it often?

im glad its normal though, I was a bit worried he might be ill or have fungus on him or something, thanks very much for the info and reassurance that its all normal FBT behaviour

Murray of the Deep

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bee View Post
    Cool, thanks for the replies guys, I didn't even know they went through shedding!

is it like when reptiles have to she'd skin as they grow bigger? do they do it often?

im glad its normal though, I was a bit worried he might be ill or have fungus on him or something, thanks very much for the info and reassurance that its all normal FBT behaviour
    Yes they shed their skins to grow bigger and they dont do it often unless your frog is sick or depends on the species.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I had the same thing happen with mine awhile back. I assumed it was shedding before reading up on it here - they continue to fascinate me in a new way every week!
    • 1.2.0 Azazel, Matrix & Minnie
    • 0.1.0 Felis catus (Maine Coon Mix & Siamese Mix) - Daisy & Donald
    • 1.0.0 Canis lupus familiaris (Siberian Husky) - Hermes
    • 2.0.0 Mini-Me Minions - Aiden & Peyton

Murray of the Deep

Quote Originally Posted by Faith View Post
    I had the same thing happen with mine awhile back. I assumed it was shedding before reading up on it here - they continue to fascinate me in a new way every week!
    shedding every week??How cool! I only saw my cane toad shed its skin once in a month and so to my fbt!

Thread Information