Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Sounds: Pyxicephalus Adspersus

  1. #1
    Eridu Serpent
    Guest

    Default Sounds: Pyxicephalus Adspersus

    Hi all, this is my first post.
    I have been reading posts here for ages, but did not join because I had no questions, everything I needed to know was here

    Anyway today I have a question and you all seem the best people to ask...so if you would kindly do what you do best:

    3 weeks ago I got a 4mth old Pyxicephalus Adspersus, he/she was about 2inches when I received it...whom I named Goober.
    Anyway the third night I heard a "Merrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr !!! " sound, I was half asleep so I was not sure it was my frog or my dog Ms BB farting
    Then it happened again in the night and I was fairly sure it was the frog...then yesterday it did it early evening.

    It has already doubled in size, eats like a horse, I feed it for 15 mins a day...in that time it eats: 6 earth worms, 6 crickets and heaps of meal worms.
    Sorry I have no photos because I have no mobile phone or digital camera, only a built in webcam on my laptop. I tried to get a shot but he/she sods off before I get a photo.

    My question is:
    Do the females make the "Merrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr" sound...
    Is this the croak noise people speak of, or is it an actual "Croak" sound that they make?

    It makes one sound, not several in a row.


    Many thanks and A Merry Christmas

  2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
     

  3. #2
    Moderator GrifTheGreat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    9,692
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

    Default Re: Sounds: Pyxicephalus Adspersus

    Quote Originally Posted by Eridu Serpent View Post
    Hi all, this is my first post.
    I have been reading posts here for ages, but did not join because I had no questions, everything I needed to know was here

    Anyway today I have a question and you all seem the best people to ask...so if you would kindly do what you do best:

    3 weeks ago I got a 4mth old Pyxicephalus Adspersus, he/she was about 2inches when I received it...whom I named Goober.
    Anyway the third night I heard a "Merrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr !!! " sound, I was half asleep so I was not sure it was my frog or my dog Ms BB farting
    Then it happened again in the night and I was fairly sure it was the frog...then yesterday it did it early evening.

    It has already doubled in size, eats like a horse, I feed it for 15 mins a day...in that time it eats: 6 earth worms, 6 crickets and heaps of meal worms.
    Sorry I have no photos because I have no mobile phone or digital camera, only a built in webcam on my laptop. I tried to get a shot but he/she sods off before I get a photo.

    My question is:
    Do the females make the "Merrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr" sound...
    Is this the croak noise people speak of, or is it an actual "Croak" sound that they make?

    It makes one sound, not several in a row.


    Many thanks and A Merry Christmas
    Sounds like you have a boy. Does it sound like you have a cow in the tank? Lol!! They kind of sound like a cow when they call.


  4. #3
    Eridu Serpent
    Guest

    Default Re: Sounds: Pyxicephalus Adspersus

    A very little cow
    it is a "Merrrrrrrrr" sound...not an actual croak.
    I listened to a sound wav. on the internet and it sounded deeper, but I suppose they could have recorded larger ones.
    Do girls make noise at all? Goober is my first frog
    We have Natterjack Toads (Bufo calamita) and European Green toads (Bufo viridis), if you pick the boys up and lay them on their backs they make a noise, the girls donīt.
    I used t keep Cane Toads as well, they did the same.
    I was not sure if frogs did the same though.

  5. #4
    Moderator GrifTheGreat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    9,692
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

    Default Re: Sounds: Pyxicephalus Adspersus

    Quote Originally Posted by Eridu Serpent View Post
    A very little cow
    it is a "Merrrrrrrrr" sound...not an actual croak.
    I listened to a sound wav. on the internet and it sounded deeper, but I suppose they could have recorded larger ones.
    Do girls make noise at all? Goober is my first frog
    We have Natterjack Toads (Bufo calamita) and European Green toads (Bufo viridis), if you pick the boys up and lay them on their backs they make a noise, the girls donīt.
    I used t keep Cane Toads as well, they did the same.
    I was not sure if frogs did the same though.
    I'm sure there are sounds that the female produces. Probably like a growl or perhaps a call that is responding to a male's call, but not the same as a croak. Im certain the sound you are hearing is a male call. Smaller frog = higher pitch.


  6. #5
    Eridu Serpent
    Guest

    Default Re: Sounds: Pyxicephalus Adspersus

    Name:  goober2.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  54.1 KB

    This is the best quality photo I can get of Goober, my webcam is not very good.
    He is 4 1/2 mths old now, I got him on 12th December, he was 2 inches now he is just over 4 inches...so he is growing nicely.
    The nice thing about him is he seems friendly

  7. #6
    Moderator GrifTheGreat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    9,692
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

    Default Re: Sounds: Pyxicephalus Adspersus

    Quote Originally Posted by Eridu Serpent View Post
    Name:  goober2.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  54.1 KB

    This is the best quality photo I can get of Goober, my webcam is not very good.
    He is 4 1/2 mths old now, I got him on 12th December, he was 2 inches now he is just over 4 inches...so he is growing nicely.
    The nice thing about him is he seems friendly
    They all do have varying personalities. All of my Ceratophrys are docile. Even my largest female of 5" is a big baby.


  8. #7
    100+ Post Member DeeDub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Location
    Western U.S.
    Posts
    627
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

    Default Re: Sounds: Pyxicephalus Adspersus

    Not able to sex it with that pic. No worries....I had the exact question a few months ago. Never did figure it out. I did have three pyxies though and one was a for sure male from the beginning. You prob. have a male. Itll be interesting to see how it turns out. Thanks for sharing!!
    ........................................
    Thanks
    DW

  9. #8

    Default Re: Sounds: Pyxicephalus Adspersus

    when my male was almost 3 inchs i heard that merrr sound and it will get lower as it gets bigger...its a lot lower now..he is about 5 1/2 inches now and calls every here and there...sounds like someones stomach growling lol

  10. #9
    100+ Post Member DeeDub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Location
    Western U.S.
    Posts
    627
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

    Default Re: Sounds: Pyxicephalus Adspersus

    Mine never calls......lol
    ........................................
    Thanks
    DW

  11. #10
    Moderator GrifTheGreat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    9,692
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

    Default Re: Sounds: Pyxicephalus Adspersus

    Quote Originally Posted by DeeDub View Post
    Mine never calls......lol
    He never had to call any of your lady frogs over since they were right there next to him Lol!


  12. #11
    Moderator tgampper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Location
    Bellevue, NE
    Age
    69
    Posts
    1,676
    Blog Entries
    2
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

    Default Re: Sounds: Pyxicephalus Adspersus

    The voice of the giant bullfrog (P. adspersus) is described as a very deep (low frequency), prolonged (about 1.5+ seconds) "whoop" similar to a mooing cow. The dwarf (P.edulis) has a short "whap" call, higher frequency, much shorter interval.
    Terry Gampper
    Nebraska Herpetological Society




    “If we can discover the meaning in the trilling of a frog, perhaps we may understand why it is for us not merely noise but a song of poetry and emotion.”
    ---
    Adrian Forsyth

  13. #12
    arielgasca420
    Guest

    Default Re: Sounds: Pyxicephalus Adspersus

    My frog always sounds close to a human trying to hold back a burp. The first time I heard my male pyxi call I thought there was someone else in my room. (he was about a year old when that happened) He is two years old now and I have only heard him call 3 times since then. He tends to call when he hears crickets. he does not call anymore now that I have him on a nightcrawler diet.
    your goober is a cutie. keep an eye out for nuptial pads.

  14. #13
    Eridu Serpent
    Guest

    Default Re: Sounds: Pyxicephalus Adspersus

    Thank you all for answering
    Since I got him he has grown at least four times as much.
    I thought I had got him several weeks ago but it was only on December 12th, time flies !!

    I did not think that small males made sounds so it confused me alittle.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Wanted: African Bullfrog- pyxicephalus adspersus
    By TheFroggyDragon in forum Wanted
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: May 14th, 2012, 09:28 PM
  2. Getting hold of the pyxicephalus adspersus
    By cwc in forum African Bullfrogs
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: December 27th, 2011, 11:17 AM
  3. Wanted: Wanted Pyxicephalus adspersus
    By warry in forum Wanted
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: March 30th, 2011, 01:06 AM
  4. Zoos breeding Pyxicephalus adspersus?
    By onedge30 in forum African Bullfrogs
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: January 3rd, 2011, 12:47 AM
  5. Pyxicephalus adspersus coloring
    By Jeff Kennedy in forum African Bullfrogs
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: August 13th, 2010, 04:32 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •