Thread: Frog Stays buried Completely

Nationality
    [Canada]

Default Frog Stays buried Completely

For a while now, since winter came, Jupiter has been completely burying himself in the substrate. I never see him anymore. I still have the lamp on, ambiant temp of 82. Humidity is fine. Is burying normal winter behaviour? Should I be digging him up to feed him?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Frog Stays buried Completely

Quote Originally Posted by brillobee View Post
    For a while now, since winter came, Jupiter has been completely burying himself in the substrate. I never see him anymore. I still have the lamp on, ambiant temp of 82. Humidity is fine. Is burying normal winter behaviour? Should I be digging him up to feed him?
    Sometimes the sence the seasonal change even when climate in their enclosure is stable. You should uncover his head to check on him and offer food. If he refuses you can give him a warm de-chlorinated soak to see if he perks up.

Nationality
    [Canada]

I changed the substrate today, and gave him a soak when I was doing it. When I put him back in his tank he only stayed out 5 minutes, then was buried again.

Nationality
    [United States]

How easily stressed out is he? If he doesn't flip out when you dig him out, you can probably uncover his head (or even nudge him out and put him in his water dish) once every night or every other night. Of course, if it seems to bother him you might not want to do that. Sometimes burrowing like that is an indicator of temps/humidity being off, but sometimes they just feel like it I think.
    Mine burrows completely for a day or two whenever I change her substrate or if I make a new mound in one of her corners. idk why, she has a weird obsession with that. She could burrow completely at any part of her cage, but almost never does until I make her a pile of dirt to 'play' in.

Murray of the Deep

Probably hibernating for winter?

frogmadmeg

i have 1 ornate horned frog and he seems to like burieing him self under his water bowl,bit of a pain really.when i lift flump out of wher ever he has dugg him self into he doesnt hav a care in the world about it and when i freshen his water he likes to hav a good soak in it

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by frogmadmeg View Post
    i have 1 ornate horned frog and he seems to like burieing him self under his water bowl,bit of a pain really.when i lift flump out of wher ever he has dugg him self into he doesnt hav a care in the world about it and when i freshen his water he likes to hav a good soak in it
    Hello Meg,

What are you humidity levels and how moist is your frog's substrate? Burrowing under the water dish can be a sign of a less humid and dryer climate. The substrate under the water dish will stay more moist due to it being cooler under there and because the frog will splash water out while soaking. Sometimes it's just them looking for a place to dig under for security, but many times it's due to a little dryer conditions.

unkempt1

My frog has been doing the same thing. Every 2-3 days I hover a couple crickets over his head and he snatches them up. We'll see if he moves soon, as he's a little overdue for a poop.

frogmadmeg

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    Hello Meg,

What are you humidity levels and how moist is your frog's substrate? Burrowing under the water dish can be a sign of a less humid and dryer climate. The substrate under the water dish will stay more moist due to it being cooler under there and because the frog will splash water out while soaking. Sometimes it's just them looking for a place to dig under for security, but many times it's due to a little dryer conditions.
    hiya, substrate was a little dry but has been moistened up now and flump is back to normal thanx

Thread Information