Thread: Another basic, basic question....

oneshotveth

Default Another basic, basic question....

Well, I just couldn't wait, and my wife was with me at the pet store and we ended up getting a baby white's tree frog.

Question is, they said to feed him 3 small crickets in the morning and 3 at night. But if he's "sleeping"? just hanging on the back wall, do you feed him then? or should he be more awake/alert?

I know it's probably the dumbest question asked yet, but I'm not sure what I should do.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Brian

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Julia

Default Re: Another basic, basic question....

My Whites Tree frogs seem to have some sort of radar! As soon as I throw a few crickets into my Whites tank they spring awake from their deep sleep to eat...somehow they just know. Six crickets a day seems like a lot. My adults only eat 2 or 3 every other day.

spooky

Babies do eat more than adults do. I fed my babies every evening, about 3 - 4 small crickets. My adults are fed 2 -3 times a week with around 4 large crickets. Although mine don't seem to be your stereotypical greedy White's!

My White ate large from the beginning. I felt like the cricket was almost his size! But he had no problem, and he only ate one a day at that time. He was like an inch long. Six crickets still seem like a lot though.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I tend to "free feed" all of my amphibians. That is, I have enclosures set up to just turn the food items loose in the tank and watch the show. It never ceases to amaze me how large of prey frogs will take on. I believe the term is "gape limited predation", meaning they will eat anything they can cram in.

I have found though with tree frogs anyway, that night is best to feed them, if they are "sleeping", they will eat when they are ready. I also found they quickly become obese if you do not carefully control how much food they have access to. believe me when I say there is nothing more sorry looking than an obese amphibian. (The frog I mention here is on a diet, but it may be some time before he is back down to his "fighting" weight...)
    Watching FrogTV because it is better when someone else has to maintain the enclosure!

Kurt

I feed the same way you do Johnny. Once a week, with the adult frogs, I throw in a bunch of crickets (and other bugs) and just let them go nuts. They don't eat all of them right away and snack on them as the week progresses. I do the same thing for the smaller mouths, just more frequently.

oneshotveth

Well, good news! I saw him eat 2 crickets today! He seems to be pretty happy, he was in his water dish, then over into the waterfall. He moves pretty fast when he wants those crickets!

Tropicok

As usual I'm worrying about starving my White's....but I shake in some crickets and what he doesn't eat or that manage to hide he will get them later. I fed small red wiggler worms and he has taken them from a long tweezer, off the branch I lay them on, or even from a small food dish I found for his tank. Want a challenge, try to keep wigglers on a branch until your frog decides to eat them. If they do drop off, they just fall into the substrate which isn't all bad.

Thread Information