Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Potential Phyllomedusa sauvagii Terrarium Build

leemowac

Default Potential Phyllomedusa sauvagii Terrarium Build

Hey Guys - I have been playing with the idea of turning an empty 40g breeder right side up as vertical for some Phyllomedusa sauvagii. I have built a few dart frog enclosures in the past so I am used to keeping humidity high, not necessarily at a minimum as needed for these critters.

That said my plan was to have the open side (technically top if laying correctly) an all screen door figuring that would be enough ventilation and for humidity to escape. I have read mixed ideas on what I could do. I am assuming that a huge screen door on one side of the set up should suffice.

I could give either give up on the idea or go for an all screen enclosure but I had my heart set on building a little tree and cliffs from the gran chaco region up the sides.

Thanks for any input!
    Liam

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Potential Phyllomedusa sauvagii Terrarium Build

first of all, how many waxies are you planning on having in there? they're my favorite frogs by far

as for enclosure - they don't need all screen enclosures, in fact I found that those types of tanks are more complicated to keep waxies in because it might be difficult to provide necessary temps. The best enclosures are big screen top ( or side on your case) and glass. so by any means go forward with your idea, but keep in mind the key here is low humidity ( 10-30, max 40%) and good airflow. Don't go too crazy on set up itself, that I'm sure you're itching to do given your experience with darts.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

leemowac

Hey Lija thanks for the reply

Quote Originally Posted by Lija View Post
    first of all, how many waxies are you planning on having in there? they're my favorite frogs by far
    I am thinking 2-3, I like to try and keep as much space for my dudes as I can

as for enclosure - they don't need all screen enclosures, in fact I found that those types of tanks are more complicated to keep waxies in because it might be difficult to provide necessary temps. The best enclosures are big screen top ( or side on your case) and glass. so by any means go forward with your idea, but keep in mind the key here is low humidity ( 10-30, max 40%) and good airflow. Don't go too crazy on set up itself, that I'm sure you're itching to do given your experience with darts.
    Awesome good to know. Given their weight I really wanted to build up a few tiers of styrofoam branches figuring I make them thicker than I have in the past for tiny darts.

From what I have read they have similar care to of a lizard more than a frog which doesn't really intimidate me since I have a 7 yr old Bearded Dragon. Even in his tank its 25% humidity but with a much smaller water bowl that the waxies would need. Learning and problem solving process is fun though!

And yeah I have been itching to build something crazy but to quell the need I am helping my friend build a crested gecko tank haha

If you don't mind I may be bugging you for more questions as I get started.

Nationality
    [Canada]

go ahead, will be glad to help, i can talk about waxies for hours lol

if you have beardie, think of waxies as a beardie who likes to sit high up on a branches make sure you have different sized smooth branches. For your size of tank 3 would be maximum amount, get same sex ones.

those are my boys

Name:  DSC02991.jpg
Views: 899
Size:  108.3 KBName:  DSC02157.jpg
Views: 567
Size:  88.8 KBName:  DSC02123.jpg
Views: 552
Size:  70.0 KB
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

leemowac

Sweet! I'm probably going to start this weekend and I help my buddy build his set up.

Yeah that's why I was feeling just 2 to start with.

Love those pics. Waxy in the middle pic looks hilarious!

Substrate wise what to you use?

Nationality
    [Canada]

right now green felt carpet, but paper towels would work perfectly too. The simpler the better, they pee a lot and will explode on you given a chance lol and then you will wonder how it is possible for THAT amount of stuff coming out of one small frog lol
    it is not really possible to do anything fancy just because you don't want to risk impaction and with eco earth in low humidity it is going to be dust = respiratory problems including possible blockage.

here is big mean bully, my huge female Fiona, because she is big and green and kinda ugly at times lol

Name:  DSC02951.jpg
Views: 537
Size:  72.2 KBName:  DSC03492.jpg
Views: 806
Size:  72.5 KB

leemowac

Yeah that makes sense I was going to avoid anything dusty or anything that will fit in their mouths. I keep axolotls as well and they are pretty much vacuums.

lol yeah but she looks badass

Nationality
    [Canada]

keep in mind they're not very intelligent creatures, sometimes it makes you think how on earth they survive in nature. when they hunt they can stick their tongue on anything, if they miss cricket there is a real possibility of tons of substrate or loose brunch or parts of decor to go to their stomachs = big trouble.
    none of mine got the glass bowl trick for feeding crickets, it was just ridiculous how a very hungry frogs can't figure that out, so I'm guessing their intelligence level is low even for a frog lol
    so the best is different sized branches, plastic plants or very strong natural ones that can live in low humidity and don't mind be covered in wax lol. That plant that Fiona is sitting on in the picture was ruined in a week, so now I'm using only artificial ones.

leemowac

Are they dumber than axolotls? I think one of mine either bit its own tail or its tank mate did on accident haha. I'm always like how do these guys survive in the wild and in fact supposed to be top of the food chain in their respected ecosystem.

You look like you have a background in there too. What is that made of?
    I think I am going to stick with what I know and make my branches using the carving styrofoam and covering with drylock/paint method, that way I have complete control of what the branches will be like. Plus pet store wood is always so expensive. But I guess it wont rot or get covered in mold like in dart tanks. I could always go hunting for sticks in a park I guess.

Yeah I learned plump frogs kill plants when I had a whites years ago. So I am def going the artificial route.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

When I had my waxies, I had built a custom cage around a large cat litter pan. The pan I had filled with dirt for the live plants and the frame was made of ferring strips and I used fiberglass screening for the sides & door. Aluminum screening for the top for the lights. It had a full length dutch door to make cleaning easy (just pull the tray out) or open the upper door to feed & water.

Nationality
    [Canada]

lol never had axolotls, don't know, but sometimes they sit on each other because they obviously think it is a branch lol for those who'd think they might be mating- they are not, not yet anyway.

my background just regular exo terra foam one. I don't think it matters what kind of branches you should use, as long as they are different in diameter/ shape and smooth it should be fine. but whatever you're doing make sure they're strong, same goes to your water bowl, they gotta be stable, they like to sit on a edge and might flip the whole thing on themselves.

leemowac

Quote Originally Posted by exasperatus2002 View Post
    When I had my waxies, I had built a custom cage around a large cat litter pan. The pan I had filled with dirt for the live plants and the frame was made of ferring strips and I used fiberglass screening for the sides & door. Aluminum screening for the top for the lights. It had a full length dutch door to make cleaning easy (just pull the tray out) or open the upper door to feed & water.
    Ah that sounds cool. Kinda like a bird cage.

What kind of live plants did you use?

leemowac

lol never had axolotls, don't know, but sometimes they sit on each other because they obviously think it is a branch lol for those who'd think they might be mating- they are not, not yet anyway.
    Yeah sounds about right, they even have a smirk on them that makes them look goofy

my background just regular exo terra foam one. I don't think it matters what kind of branches you should use, as long as they are different in diameter/ shape and smooth it should be fine. but whatever you're doing make sure they're strong, same goes to your water bowl, they gotta be stable, they like to sit on a edge and might flip the whole thing on themselves.
    I was going to copy something like a quebracho trees just for fun. Cause honestly I have fun doing that sort of thing =), but yeah I am going to build to hold fat frogs

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Pothos, Spathiphyllum, and a couple odds & ends that looked nice in the nursery. The Pothos, I had the pot suspended so it'd trail down to the ground.

leemowac

Pothos, Spathiphyllum, and a couple odds & ends that looked nice in the nursery. The Pothos, I had the pot suspended so it'd trail down to the ground.
    Cool thanks... I may play with that idea though my gut says stick with fake for now.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Quote Originally Posted by leemowac View Post
    Cool thanks... I may play with that idea though my gut says stick with fake for now.
    your gut is right lol
    pothos looked nice for 2 days in my tank, and after a week it was almost dead.

Nationality
    [United States]

Lija and Liam,
    I'm reading this ..........laughing .
    You two are funny !

Very cool frogs , nonetheless!
    Lynn
    Current Collection
    Dendrobates leucomelas - standard morph
    Dendrobates auratus “Costa Rican Green Black"
    Dendrobates auratus "Pena Blanca"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “New River”
    Dendrobates tinctorius "Green Sipaliwini"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “Powder Blue"
    Dendrobates tinctorius "French Guiana Dwarf Cobalt"

Phyllobates terribilis “Mint”
    Phyllobates terribilis "Orange"
    Phyllobates bicolor "Uraba"

Oophaga pumilio "Black Jeans"
    Oophaga pumilio "Isla Popa"
    Oophaga pumilio "Bastimentos"
    Oophaga pumilio “Mimbitimbi”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Colubre"
    Oophaga pumilio "Red Frog Beach”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Branco"
    Oophaga pumilio “Valle del Rey”
    Oophaga pumilio "BriBri"
    Oophaga pumilio "El Dorado"
    Oophaga pumilio "Cristobal"
    Oophaga pumilio "Rambala"

Oophaga “Vicentei” (blue)

Oophaga sylvatica "Paru"
    Oophaga sylvatica "Pata Blanca"
    Oophaga histrionica “Redhead”
    Oophaga histrionica "Blue"
    Oophaga lehmanni "Red"
    Oophaga histrionica "Tado"

Ranitomeya variabilis "Southern"
    Ranitomeya imitator "Varadero"
    Ranitomeya sirensis "Lower Ucayali"
    Ranitomeya vanzolinii

http://www.fernsfrogs.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ferns.frogs

Nationality
    [Canada]

Lynn, you know what's funny - it is to watch them hunt, the most ridiculous thing ever, say cricket is appearing in waxy view, what would a normal frog do? that's right, hunt it down and eat. Waxy would stare at it until it is gone and after it is gone would stare where it was for a LONG time, looking very confused, so it is still remains mystery on how it is possible for them to survive in wild, I'm telling you, they are seriously challenged.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

your gut is right lol
    pothos looked nice for 2 days in my tank, and after a week it was almost dead.
    Sorry to hear that. I've never seen anyone kill a pothos before.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Sorry to hear that. I've never seen anyone kill a pothos before.
    I hadn't seen either that is why i put it in there in a first place, but when 3.5" fat frog ( see above ) sit on it or trying to climb, well.... RIP my pretty pothos lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information