Thread: Please help my african clawed frog!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    snobordnwifey

Default Please help my african clawed frog!

We had 2 ACF's and one of them died yesterday. Summer (the other frog) is acting lethargic, not eating, not really swimming around much. He can still swim to the top of the water to get air and such.

I have since cleaned out the tank and there was lots of frog skin in it. We are getting ready to leave for vacation and I'd rather not come home to another dead frog (not to mention that my 10 yr old daughter is hysterical about this). What can I do to help my frog? Is this something I can get him through? He seems to be shedding right now. What could be causing this? I looked it up and it doesn't seem to be red leg. So, what are my other options here? Our frogs are/were about 8 months old, so I know he's not too old.

Default Re: Please help my african clawed frog!

Because your other frog has died this has definitely got to do with water quality or feeding. What do you feed your frogs and how often? What size tank and what filtration do you use? Do you have a water testing kit? Do you use a water conditioner?

Without the answers to these questions we can't begin to guess at what is wrong with your frog. I would recommend putting him in a smaller container with only 3-4 inches of water. If you have Stress Coat water conditioner you should add some of that. The shedding is from stress probably caused by the water conditions.

snobordnwifey

We have them in a 10 gallon tank with a filter, though I'm not sure what kind it is. My dad gave it to us with the tank I replaced the charcoal today when I cleaned the tank. I have not tested the water. Can I just get a kit at the pet store? What am I looking for in terms of the condition of the water? I did put in water conditioner today when I changed the water.

We have been feeding the grow-a-frog pellets that came with them.

I just noticed that his front legs look reddish underneath. I'm guessing this must be red leg. His back legs don't seem to look red, though. He doesn't look swollen or anything either.

100+ Post Member Louis Charles Bruckner's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Are you treating the tap water before you add it to the tank?
    before I made a water conditioner, I would fill a 5 gallon bucket with water and put a airstone in it for a day
    and also added the water conditioner this way any extra dissolved gasses like ozone can be released.
    And does your tank have a heater. if so what temp do you have it set to.

changing the carbon is good but don't trow out the filter bag it holds a lot of helpful bacteria
    Just rinse it under cold water and rub off any extra debris.

100+ Post Member Louis Charles Bruckner's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

The water quality is very important.

What I always do when setting up a new tank is to get the tank started with
    some Bio-zime and a bacteria culture stater in a form of a small bag of gravel
    from a well established tank. your local fish store might help you out with that.

put a few inexpensive guppies in the tank for a few weeks and let the tank
    cycle and stabilize. Do 25% water changes every other week or if the water quality
    is bad.

The water might get a little cloudy for a day or so. if the water doesn't have
    a bad odor , don't worry too much.
    But do a test once a day for the first week or so.

The best thing is to leave the frog be, stressing the frog with handling or major changes
    in water quality can make matters worse.
    Don't worry about feeding right now, Make sure you get rid of any food that the frog has not
    eaten as it will rot and cause major problems.
    It is real important to keep the water in good condition now.
    in a day or so maybe offer a few pellets but if it doesn't eat them in a few minutes scoop them out.
    adding aquarium salt might help.

I hope your frog gets well soon.

Nationality
    [United States]

We have them in a 10 gallon tank with a filter <10 gallons is too small for adult x. laevis these frogs need at least 10 gallons for each clawed frog..> , though I'm not sure what kind it is. My dad gave it to us with the tank I replaced the charcoal today when I cleaned the tank. <Cleaning the aquarium is a good idea but the charcoal is pointless..> I have not tested the water. Can I just get a kit at the pet store? <API Freshwater Master Kit can be purchased from Amazon for about $20.> What am I looking for in terms of the condition of the water? <0ppm Ammonia 0ppm Nitrite and 20ppm Nitrate or less; Temperature in the range of 68F to 72F and a stable PH.> I did put in water conditioner today when I changed the water. <Good.>

We have been feeding the grow-a-frog pellets that came with them. <I don't know anything about this food but I know Reptomin is a good staple.>

I just noticed that his front legs look reddish underneath. I'm guessing this must be red leg. <Usually fatal, unfortunately..> His back legs don't seem to look red, though. He doesn't look swollen or anything either.
    Sadly one of your frogs has died due to poor conditions caused by too small of an aquarium which led to toxic water conditions.

Now that one frog has passed I would do proper water changes on the 10 gallon tank as Louis has suggested and keep the water temperature 68F-72F. Overfeeding will foul the water, always remove excess food immediately.

Sadly if the frog does have red leg, it's usually fatal by the time you can see the symptoms.. you can go to this SITE regarding diseases and treatment.

Good luck I hope your frog recovers, proper conditions and educating yourself on what these frogs need to live and thrive is the best defense against these sort of circumstances though.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Quote Originally Posted by snobordnwifey View Post
    I have since cleaned out the tank and there was lots of frog skin in it.
    You said in your first post that there was a lot of skin in the tank. In my experience that's symptomatic of a parasitic infection, which can be controlled but, again in my experience, not completely eradicated. If your frog's still alive, try gently stroking its back to feel whether the texture of the skin is smooth as it should be or whether it feels rough to the touch. If the latter, it's possibly Nematodes.

Thread Information