Thread: S. marmorata questions

anthonyjensen

Default S. marmorata questions

I have a few questions about the husbandry of these frogs..

1. Substrate- I've done a lot of research (mainly on this forum) and it looks like the best substrate to use is a mix with River sand, coco husk, and river rocks? Can someone with experience with this species let me know which substrate works best for them.

2. Housing- What size tank would be suitable for 2 frogs? (I'm not planning on breeding) I'm a snake guy so I have a lot of sterilite tubs, would these work? Or would a glass terrarium work best?

I've also read that these frogs have died from there enclosure being to wet? How often would I have to mist the tank to keep this from happening? Also, can they have a diet of just crickets? Or should it be a variety of things? Thanks in advance!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Murray of the Deep

Default Re: S. marmorata questions

i kept 1 cane toad in a 10 gallon aquarium tank so 30 gallon would do and also glass terrarium should be better give him a shallow water bowl and some substrate and feed them nightcrawlers,earthworm,cricket,mealworms(as treats, they cause impaction)and also frogs love to hide give them lots of hiding place. and also mist the tank 1-2x a day and also i think they will want something more because they would be tired of eating crickets,so feed him variety of things.substrate could be garden soil (without fertilizer and -cides) because they can be poisoned and also if you cant mist the tank you can provide him a shallow water bowl.

Kristen

Default Re: S. marmorata questions

Quote Originally Posted by jeromeetabuzo View Post
    i kept 1 cane toad in a 10 gallon aquarium tank so 30 gallon would do and also glass terrarium should be better give him a shallow water bowl and some substrate and feed them nightcrawlers,earthworm,cricket,mealworms(as treats, they cause impaction)and also frogs love to hide give them lots of hiding place. and also mist the tank 1-2x a day and also i think they will want something more because they would be tired of eating crickets,so feed him variety of things.substrate could be garden soil (without fertilizer and -cides) because they can be poisoned and also if you cant mist the tank you can provide him a shallow water bowl.
    Jerome, the care of Scaphionphryne marmorata is different from the care of your Cane toad

I don't relly know anything on these frogs, so I cant really help you. Here is a care sheet on Madagascan burrowing frogs which has some info on them
    Madagascan Burrowing Frogs Care Sheet

Thread Information