Thread: Proper gutload?

unkempt1

Default Proper gutload?

I have a roach colony. One bin for breeding, and one for feeding. I gut load my feeder bin with things that are good for my dragon. Collard greens, turnip greens, etc. Is this also a good gut load for my frog? If not, should I get a separate feeder tub for my frog and, if so, gut load them with something else?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Proper gutload?

They should all be good for your frog too, offering a variety of food to your feeders is a good way to ensure they have a mix of vitamins and nutrients loaded into them. I've heard dubias love oranges, i know my roaches love green peppers, they seem to eat those up faster than anything else.
    2.0 Bombina orientalis
    1.0 Bufo americanus
    0.1.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    0.1 Xenopus laevis

All my arachnids and other inverts listed in my profile

unkempt1

Yea I feed my breeder colony oranges, which they appreciate. They also like apples, carrots, and bananas. They really don't show much interest in green leafy things like turnip greens and prickly pears unless that is all the food they have access to.

I know people say they go nuts for oranges, but put a few mango peels in there (or the pit if you have a larger colony). They will DESTROY it, more so than oranges I have noticed.

Oops, got a little off topic there for a sec... I just really enjoy talking about my colony. Thanks for answering my question, makes me feel better that I don't have to go out and get another​ bin!

Nationality
    [United States]

On a side note I just recently bought a thing of flukers orange cube cricket diet to try with them and my roaches don't seem to really care for it
    2.0 Bombina orientalis
    1.0 Bufo americanus
    0.1.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    0.1 Xenopus laevis

All my arachnids and other inverts listed in my profile

unkempt1

Yea mine treat those just like green veggies. They only go after them when that's all that's in there. Now I just use them for crickets when I will be at work all day.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Just don't feed them dog or cat food. The additives can be bad for the frog.

Offer them oats too. They will eat those as well.

unkempt1

Grif, I'm glad you brought that up. I want to explain what I do and get your perspective on it.

First off, my feeder tub only gets veggies, and on occasion I'll put a piece of fruit in there. 95% of the time it's collard, turnip, or mustard greens. Fruits are mangos or apples, but in small quantities and rarely. I feel 100% confident on this tub and have zero questions.

What I feed my breeders is different. When it comes to fruits/veggies, it's almost the opposite. About 80% fruits and 20% veggies. There is also more variation: carrots, oranges, potatoes, bananas, (along with the stuff i put in the feeder tub); really almost anything except stuff they won't eat like onions, garlic, or lemons/limes. Fruits and veggies make up about 60% of their diet. It used to be 100%, but I noticed males fighting like crazy and killing each other. So I did two things: I changed the male/female ratio from 1:1 to 1:7 and began making my own roach chow to increase their protein intake.

My own secret recipe (haha ) is as follows: 2-3 parts dog food, 1-2 parts Cheerios, 1 part soy flour, a few flakes of raisin bran, and a sliver of Nilla wafer. I grind them up together and they eat it like crazy! So tell me, if I only feed this stuff in my breeder bin and when i move babies to the feeder bin, gut load them with the healthy stuff for 24-72 hours like I do now, am I hurting my pacman? I take care to make sure the different types of protein are spread out (and fruits/veg are a bigger part of their diet) so they aren't getting overloaded with protein in the breeder bin, but at the same time aren't having gladiator matches anymore either.

If you think this is still risky using dog food at all, do you have any advice on a replacement?

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by unkempt1 View Post
    Grif, I'm glad you brought that up. I want to explain what I do and get your perspective on it.

First off, my feeder tub only gets veggies, and on occasion I'll put a piece of fruit in there. 95% of the time it's collard, turnip, or mustard greens. Fruits are mangos or apples, but in small quantities and rarely. I feel 100% confident on this tub and have zero questions.

What I feed my breeders is different. When it comes to fruits/veggies, it's almost the opposite. About 80% fruits and 20% veggies. There is also more variation: carrots, oranges, potatoes, bananas, (along with the stuff i put in the feeder tub); really almost anything except stuff they won't eat like onions, garlic, or lemons/limes. Fruits and veggies make up about 60% of their diet. It used to be 100%, but I noticed males fighting like crazy and killing each other. So I did two things: I changed the male/female ratio from 1:1 to 1:7 and began making my own roach chow to increase their protein intake.

My own secret recipe (haha ) is as follows: 2-3 parts dog food, 1-2 parts Cheerios, 1 part soy flour, a few flakes of raisin bran, and a sliver of Nilla wafer. I grind them up together and they eat it like crazy! So tell me, if I only feed this stuff in my breeder bin and when i move babies to the feeder bin, gut load them with the healthy stuff for 24-72 hours like I do now, am I hurting my pacman? I take care to make sure the different types of protein are spread out (and fruits/veg are a bigger part of their diet) so they aren't getting overloaded with protein in the breeder bin, but at the same time aren't having gladiator matches anymore either.

If you think this is still risky using dog food at all, do you have any advice on a replacement?
    That's one of the worst things about offering cat food and dog food. The protein content is much too high. You can use the high calcium cricket food and cricket quencher for added calcium loading. I would offer the feeder bin just fruits and vegetables. This way they don't overload the frog with protein and preservatives that can harm the frog.

unkempt1

Cool. Yah, my feeder bin sees ZERO dog food, or any grains at all for that matter. Only veggies with the rare piece of fruit.

You had mentioned giving the breeder colony cricket food instead of dog food... what type of protein is in that stuff? Is it something I can pick up and incorporate into my homemade chow? I prefer to make my own since it's cheaper (and hey, to be honest I get a real kick out of it ).

Nationality
    [United States]

Cool. Yah, my feeder bin sees ZERO dog food, or any grains at all for that matter. Only veggies with the rare piece of fruit.

You had mentioned giving the breeder colony cricket food instead of dog food... what type of protein is in that stuff? Is it something I can pick up and incorporate into my homemade chow? I prefer to make my own since it's cheaper (and hey, to be honest I get a real kick out of it ).
    You're probably doing fine. I mentioned the cricket food for calcium. Horn Frogs need a lot of calcium. Much more than most other species aside from Pyxi Frogs. The feeders themselves contain protein. Roaches actually have a decent amount as do Night Crawlers.

unkempt1

That's good news! I assumed that's why you mentioned it but wanted to make sure. I always dust them prior to feeding, but prefer not to feed them too much calcium just in case it's bad for them, like it is with other molting insects.

I just finished making a new batch of chow, this time I incorporated some old coconut flakes my wife was going to throw away. What was she thinking, we have roaches to feed for gods sake! LOL! After about 20 minutes I took a small peek in the breeder bins and they were devouring it! Right after that I stashed the bag of flakes in one of my reptile drawers.

I know what you're thinking Grif - LET'S GET BACK TO TALKING ABOUT THE FROGS! Ok, we can do that. Thanks for your help, advice, and perspectives!

Nationality
    [United States]

That's good news! I assumed that's why you mentioned it but wanted to make sure. I always dust them prior to feeding, but prefer not to feed them too much calcium just in case it's bad for them, like it is with other molting insects.

I just finished making a new batch of chow, this time I incorporated some old coconut flakes my wife was going to throw away. What was she thinking, we have roaches to feed for gods sake! LOL! After about 20 minutes I took a small peek in the breeder bins and they were devouring it! Right after that I stashed the bag of flakes in one of my reptile drawers.

I know what you're thinking Grif - LET'S GET BACK TO TALKING ABOUT THE FROGS! Ok, we can do that. Thanks for your help, advice, and perspectives!
    Lol!! I actually enjoy feeding the Roaches apples. It sounds like a whole crowd of people munching.

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Proper gutload?

Lol! That's a familiar noise....Cheerios and apples...crunch, crunch, crunch .

Mine love oranges the most. Bananas too. Honestly, they are like garbage disposals and will eat just about anything, ha ha!
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Heatheranne View Post
    Lol! That's a familiar noise....Cheerios and apples...crunch, crunch, crunch .

Mine love oranges the most. Bananas too. Honestly, they are like garbage disposals and will eat just about anything, ha ha!
    I know their food, but I even like to handle them occationally. They're pretty cool.

Thread Information