Thread: Dwarf or giant?

ian1001

Default Dwarf or giant?

Hi I just bought this little guy labeled as a giant and was just trying to make sure he is. Thanks in advance!

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  56.7 KB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Dwarf or giant?

Giant. Congrats!!! See the dorsal ridges? Also notice the neon green color of the dorsal stripe. It's two other stripes to the sides of the dorsal are pretty subdued which is atypical of most adspersus juviniles. They may show up more as it grows. It's gonna grow fast if you keep him fed and supplemented.

Get him off that moss. use only coco fiber (eco earth is what I use). He can ingest it (they are crazy little predators) while feeding and become impacted.

You are going to enjoy the hell outta him/her. Feed it LOTS. Stick with a good staple of nightcrawlers and roaches/crickets. Stay away from high fat. Dust with 'high quality' calcium with vit. D3 (don't use heavy duty UVB...2.0 at the highest; they don't need any UVB. Just provide calcium with D3) evry third feeding. Vitamin supplement once a week. No need to feed mice (one every month at the most....I do one every other month), they are super high in fat and the vit A from the organs is terrible for these frogs in high amounts.

I would recommend Miner-All brand calcium (it is the best out there and reasonably priced) from stickytongue farms (google it). Also Vit-All vitamin supplement (also from STF).

In six months it will look like one or the other of the beasts in my avatar to the left (male is in back)
    Thanks
    DW

Nationality
    [United States]

Almost forgot.

Get the E-book: Giant african bullfrog: Life history and captive husbandry written by Phillipe de Vasjoli. You gotta learn about them and pass on your knowledge to others. There is a plague of bad info out there on how to care for these frogs properly....hence everyone feeding mice as a staple.
    Thanks
    DW

ian1001

Hi thanks for the response! One last question I have is he seems very calm and dpesmt move much even when he was in the pet store. I tried feeding mealworms but to no avail he just sits there. Is this fairly tipical?

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Dwarf or giant?

I'd give him time to adjust. Make sure you're temps are high enough. What are your enclosure conditions? Temps, humidity, size, bedding, feeding regiments, lighting, heat sources...
    Also, never feed mealworms, they have a very high risk of impaction. Stuck with crickets, roaches, and nightcrawlers. Horned worms are also good if you can afford them.

Also, just another good brand for vit/calcium, I use Repashy Calcium Plus. It has vitamins and calcium mixed together in proportions where they won't interfere with absorption. I use this every other feeding (container says use every single feeding, but that just seems like an awful lot to me.)

Nationality
    [United States]

Good advice Bruce. Repashy makes a high quality supplement as well. I often use it as the vitamin because with the Vit-All you have to gut load feeders with it to give it to the frog. The Miner-all calcium is easy though..you just dust the feeders as normal. Every other day is fine, but with the Repashy especially I would go every third feeding. As my females got full sized I slowed the calcium input to once a week.

Repashy C+ is a little expensive. One good thing about it is you can usually pick it up at your local pet shop (LPS) so it ends up about the same price. You have to order the Miner-all (it lasts forever though) online.
    Thanks
    DW

DaFrog

Hey guys I also wanted to know if my new pixie is a dwarf or a giant. The little guy is barley a inch long
    Name:  DSCF3489[1].jpg
Views: 123
Size:  72.9 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Dwarf or giant?

That's a giant

DaFrog

Ya. Whenever I was at the pet store to other little pixie was dead and reduced to bones so I had to save this little guy.

ian1001

Thanks for the help guys. A little update: the frog has literally not moved in 2 days and it being so small I know its unusual. He's extremely lethargic, and will not flip himself over once upside down. There was a sick pacman frog that was near my pixixe in the shop doing the exact same thing and its gotten me worried. He shows no interest in food either

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Dwarf or giant?

That isn't a good sign at all... I think a vet visit may be in order

Thread Information