Thread: Worried about frogs and shedding

kimij

Unhappy Worried about frogs and shedding

Hi. I'm sorry, but I'm new to this board and really new to the frog world. My neighbors were moving and threatening to throw their african dwarf frogs into the lake so they didn't have to take them with them. I saved them and they live with me now. I'm not sure how great that is for the frogs because I really don't know what I'm doing and now I'm worried something is really wrong.

I know the frogs shed. Trust me, the first time I saw this I ran right to the internet. I know what the right kind of shedding looks like. About two days ago, I noticed that Dale (my girl) was shedding, but that the back half of her shedding was still attached and kind of hanging on (reminded me of my last sunburn). She's eating fine but did seem to be trying to hide a bit. Now I've noticed that Chip (my boy) is looking exactly the same, as of just about an hour ago. His back half of his shedding is hanging on.

I ran to the internet and have read all kinds of things that have me feeling like the worst froggy mom ever. I don't think it's the fungus that everyone talks about because it doesn't look cottony and it does look exactly like their shedding. I'm worried about a few things... did I over feed them? (I have their frog pellets and have also given them ReptoTreat bloodworms) Did the tank get too cold? Is it alright they aren't shedding right? Have I just been really bad about their water? I just don't know!! Their original owners told me nothing about taking care of them. They only changed their water once every six months, had the two of them in a one gallon tank, and only fed them twice a week. I've moved them into a little bigger tank, but I obviously haven't done well for them.

I've fallen for these little babies and really just want them to be alright. I've turned on their light to make it warmer for them. I don't have the right water here tonight but will be going out tomorrow to get more. What else should I do? I feel horrible. I'm gone for work a lot (flight attendant) and have a lot of traveling coming up. Can anyone help me with this? Please, be gentle with me. I haven't had fish or water creatures in almost 30 years, so I'm no pro and I'm sure I've done everything wrong, but know that I'm really just trying to save them out of my love for them. Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Worried about frogs and shedding

Quote Originally Posted by kimij View Post
    Hi. I'm sorry, but I'm new to this board and really new to the frog world. My neighbors were moving and threatening to throw their african dwarf frogs into the lake so they didn't have to take them with them. I saved them and they live with me now. I'm not sure how great that is for the frogs because I really don't know what I'm doing and now I'm worried something is really wrong.

I know the frogs shed. Trust me, the first time I saw this I ran right to the internet. I know what the right kind of shedding looks like. About two days ago, I noticed that Dale (my girl) was shedding, but that the back half of her shedding was still attached and kind of hanging on (reminded me of my last sunburn). She's eating fine but did seem to be trying to hide a bit. Now I've noticed that Chip (my boy) is looking exactly the same, as of just about an hour ago. His back half of his shedding is hanging on.
    Doesn't sound good. I know Xenopus will gleefully devour it's shed skin for it's protein content, I'm not 100% sure if Hymenochirus exhibit the same behavior but I'm willing to bet they do.

I ran to the internet and have read all kinds of things that have me feeling like the worst froggy mom ever. I don't think it's the fungus that everyone talks about because it doesn't look cottony and it does look exactly like their shedding. I'm worried about a few things... did I over feed them? (I have their frog pellets and have also given them ReptoTreat bloodworms) Did the tank get too cold? Is it alright they aren't shedding right? Have I just been really bad about their water? I just don't know!! Their original owners told me nothing about taking care of them. They only changed their water once every six months, had the two of them in a one gallon tank, and only fed them twice a week. I've moved them into a little bigger tank, but I obviously haven't done well for them.
    Chytrid is a possibility but I believe the effects are more drastic than what you are describing. A picture of your frogs would help a lot.

Do keep in mind that Hymenochirus are tropical animals and they need water temperatures of around 77F otherwise there may be complications such as you describe.

Changing the water every six months is kind of bad, sorry to say but it's the truth. To properly maintain their tank you need to get a water conditioner that removes heavy metals and chlorine such as Prime and you should change 25% of the water in your tank weekly.

No way of telling if you're over feeding, that's your call. If there is excess food in the tank after feedings then yes, you will need to feed less and you should always remove excess food from the tank as it will foul the water.

A single gallon of water for these frogs is also stretching it a bit, I would bump them up to at least 5 gallons. Sounds like you have a recipe for bad water quality, which will cause the frogs to shed excessively, for sure.

I've fallen for these little babies and really just want them to be alright. I've turned on their light to make it warmer for them. I don't have the right water here tonight but will be going out tomorrow to get more. What else should I do? I feel horrible. I'm gone for work a lot (flight attendant) and have a lot of traveling coming up. Can anyone help me with this? Please, be gentle with me. I haven't had fish or water creatures in almost 30 years, so I'm no pro and I'm sure I've done everything wrong, but know that I'm really just trying to save them out of my love for them. Thanks!
    Here's my suggestions:

#1 Get yourself a 10 gallon tank, they're like 10 dollars at Walmart. This will also allow you to house more frogs if you wish to in the future.
    #2 Pick up a small sponge filter or any other adequate filter (something that will filter the water but not make it hard for the frogs to swim). If you can't find a sponge filter a H.O.B. filter like a Whisper 20i (internal) works fine.
    #3 Get a small heater for your tank, protect it so that the frogs don't burn themselves on it though, remember -- these are tropical animals 77F is your goal. You'll need a thermometer too for your tank, they're ~$2 dollars.
    #4 Buy some Prime or really any water conditioner will work, start doing weekly water changes (25% of the tanks water), treat the water with your water conditioner (follow the directions on the bottle).

If you have some pictures of your frogs that will help too but I think you have a case of poor conditions due to too small of a tank and poor tank maintenance and there's a good chance your frogs aren't digging non-tropical water temperatures.

Hope this helps. Once your provide your frogs with proper conditions I assure you things will turn around. For about $20-$30 dollars you can provide your african dwarf frogs what they need to thrive.

kimij

Default Re: Worried about frogs and shedding

A quick update. I cleaned out the tank really well yesterday but only did about 30% water change (because I've been told not to do the whole thing at once). It made a big difference. They are moving around a lot more and searching for food. Chip (the boy) shed finally and even peeled off his feet (which hung around a bit longer than the rest). Dale still looks a bit tattered, but she's actively swimming and is eating, going up for air and coming back down. No more hiding. She is also really obsessed with the box that has their bloodworm packets in it. I've moved the box to the other side of the tank (sits right next to their tank) and she's been hanging around that side now. I don't know if she knows the worms are in there or if she has a crush on the frog on the box.

Thank you for the suggestions. They do have a thermometer and a filter already. The aren't in their one gallon tank anymore (that was the previous owner) and I have been cleaning it. I obviously didn't do the best job last time, so I worked hard this time. I think it also just got too cold with the temp drop in the house. They are back up to around 75 right now and it's still getting warmer. I scrubbed all I could (without using soap, since I read that was a big fat no-no) and wiped a lot of algae off their silk plants and their little house. They really seem to be much better. I just wish Dale would finish peeling off.

Yes, they do eat some of their skin, but not all of it. Maybe I am over feeding. Thanks again for answering me and trying to help me. Hopefully I've done well enough to ensure her safety and health. I adore these little creatures and want them to be safe.

Thread Information