Thread: juvenile albino pacman trouble shedding and eating

miked25

Default juvenile albino pacman trouble shedding and eating

This frog was approximately three weeks old when i purchased him. I've had him for 1 month now and he was eating fine for the first week. He then began shedding which I believe is normal but not for his age. Shedding the top half was easy for him but all the skin on his legs and underside is still being retained. i have increased the temp to 85 and got him a uvb light as I was informed to do so. I mist twice daily maintaining a 80% humidity level and tried getting him to soak when he was getting a bit dry. Even with the warmer conditions for two weeks he is still not interested in eating and is looking skinny.

His is enclosed in a short "Zoo Med" terrarium with a fine coconut substrate ,two hides and a water dish. his heating comes from a small under tank heater and a red heat bulb when needed.

I understand they are very lethargic creatures but my concern is that he is becoming malnourished due to lack of eating. Also i'm not sure how to address the shedding situation (i was told it is only supposed to take a day or two and we're going on two weeks).

Any information regarding pacman frogs will be helpful to me.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Ribbits

Default Re: juvenile albino pacman trouble shedding and eating

have you tried giving him a soak? A little warm dechlorinated water not above his chin line might help out. I do not have much experience with juvenile frogs, but I think this works for adults.

miked25

I have and thats what helped him shed the upper half. I am going to soak him again later but i'm worried about handling him too much. When i cleaned him off earlier he didn't respond much to me picking him up which i thought was unusual.

miked25

unfortunately my pacman frog has died and i still don't know if/what i was doing wrong i would still appreciate any input.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by miked25 View Post
    unfortunately my pacman frog has died and i still don't know if/what i was doing wrong i would still appreciate any input.
    Answer these questions and repost the answers here. http://www.frogforum.net/pacman-frog...enclosure.html

miked25

1. The enclosure is the zoo med 1ft cube style terrarium(1 square ft of floor space)

2. Just one

3. Between 80% and 90%

4. Between 75 and 85 degrees

5. Tap water treated with "Zoo Med"s "Repti-Safe Instant Terrarium Conditioner"

6. Coconut fiber substrate

7. 1 fake small plant and 1 small live plant

8. Petco

9. I dusted 1 of the worms with a calcium powder

10. Repti-Glo 10.0 uvb bulb was recommended to me by a store clerk but I lined the top of the cage with moss to filter light/hold moisture.

11. A small under the tank heater wasn't warm enough so i added a red light heat lamp in a deep dome at a distance to provide an ambient temperature of 85 degrees.

12. About 3 days

13. He pooped once in the first week after purchasing

15. About 2 months? assuming he was a month old when i bought him

16. 1 month

17. Captive

18. He ate 1 to 2 wax worms a day for the better part of a week, since then I only managed to feed him 1 wax worm. i have tried crickets and night crawlers.

19. About 3 times the first couple weeks then maybe once a day for the past 3 or 4 days while getting him to soak/change water. (I thought it might help with the shedding)

20. It is kept in my living room. i live with my girlfriend and we rarely have guests

21. changed water every other day to daily. never changed substrate as he only pooped once and i cleaned it immediately.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Oh no, so sorry for your loss., sometimes it is just happens and there is nothing one can do about it
    your temps 85F were too high,especially if constant, 90% humidity too high too, UTV was I'm hoping not on the bottom.
    what were you used to measure temp? cos if your gauge was off and temp is fact way higher - that might be an answer.

oh and 10UBV is total overkill, absolutely not necessary and even dangerous.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by miked25 View Post
    1. The enclosure is the zoo med 1ft cube style terrarium(1 square ft of floor space)

2. Just one

3. Between 80% and 90%

4. Between 75 and 85 degrees

5. Tap water treated with "Zoo Med"s "Repti-Safe Instant Terrarium Conditioner"

6. Coconut fiber substrate

7. 1 fake small plant and 1 small live plant

8. Petco

9. I dusted 1 of the worms with a calcium powder

10. Repti-Glo 10.0 uvb bulb was recommended to me by a store clerk but I lined the top of the cage with moss to filter light/hold moisture.

11. A small under the tank heater wasn't warm enough so i added a red light heat lamp in a deep dome at a distance to provide an ambient temperature of 85 degrees.

12. About 3 days

13. He pooped once in the first week after purchasing

15. About 2 months? assuming he was a month old when i bought him

16. 1 month

17. Captive

18. He ate 1 to 2 wax worms a day for the better part of a week, since then I only managed to feed him 1 wax worm. i have tried crickets and night crawlers.

19. About 3 times the first couple weeks then maybe once a day for the past 3 or 4 days while getting him to soak/change water. (I thought it might help with the shedding)

20. It is kept in my living room. i live with my girlfriend and we rarely have guests

21. changed water every other day to daily. never changed substrate as he only pooped once and i cleaned it immediately.
    Well so far everything is ok except one major detail. UVB light. Most pet stores don't know how to properly care fro these animals and often just guess or make suggestions that they really have no clue about. UVB is unnecessary and a 10.0 is rediculously high. This could have been part of the issue. If your frog was a baby then you would want to stay around 80° to 82° during the day and hover around 78° at night.

Lija is right and UTH needs to be on the side not the bottom.

Nationality
    [Canada]

wait a minute... that was ALBINO? did i get it right? then 10UVB - that was a reason on why he had trouble shedding, not eating, and died as consequence. I'm not really violent person but those pet store people and their advices get me VERY angry!
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Nationality
    [United States]

Don't feel too bad about it. If they were keeping it under UVB like that at the petstore there was probably a fair amount of damage done when you bought him.
    If you decide to get another one, try a breeder or going to a reptile show. Sounds like you probably got an unhealthy frog to begin with, and then bad info on how to care for it.

Also, nightcrawlers and crickets are healthier food than wax worms. I don't remember exactly, but I think wax worms can cause problems.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Lija View Post
    wait a minute... that was ALBINO? did i get it right? then 10UVB - that was a reason on why he had trouble shedding, not eating, and died as consequence. I'm not really violent person but those pet store people and their advices get me VERY angry!
    I don't know whether the frog was a Albino or not, but UVB can damage a normal Pacman. The CFLs and regular fluorescents are usually way too bright and can damage their eyes. These frogs spend the day burrowed into the forest floor and not exposed to such radiation. They're nocturnal and their eyes are designed for seeing at night. Too bright a light and too much exposure to UVB is detrimental to their health.

Sounds dehydrated to me though.

Nationality
    [United States]

Sorry I think i got mixed up. It's an Albino. Lija you are right that the UVB contributed to the frog's death.

Mike I'm sorry for your loss.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by DVirginiana View Post
    Don't feel too bad about it. If they were keeping it under UVB like that at the petstore there was probably a fair amount of damage done when you bought him.
    If you decide to get another one, try a breeder or going to a reptile show. Sounds like you probably got an unhealthy frog to begin with, and then bad info on how to care for it.

Also, nightcrawlers and crickets are healthier food than wax worms. I don't remember exactly, but I think wax worms can cause problems.
    Waxworms are very fattening DV and the skin doesn't digest leaving a skin sack behind that if too many are fed to the frog tbey can cause impaction.

Nationality
    [United States]

I remember a really old thread with a frog that couldn't shed correctly. It was an albino, and I don't remember but I think there was a light problem with that one as well.

miked25

I only started using the uvb bulb 3 days ago. At first i thought it helped because he was hopping around but he was probably retreating from the light. His only poop was very small. I inspected him when i noticed he died and one side of his stomach seemed harder than the other(possibly impaction from waxworms?)

I would like to get another some day but will most likely buy from a known breeder, also a fully developed frog.

Thank you (all) for your help.

Nationality
    [Canada]

many things could have gone wrong here, rest on peace little one

if you'd like to get another one, just make sure you have all information, you're on a right way since you're here you don't need to get adult, better get a baby it is so much fun to watch them grow, but you better get it from reputable breeder, so you KNOW it is healthy and have no problems. and if ever you have any problems with anything seek advice as soon as something you feel is not right.

Thread Information