Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mossy Frog build

NatureLady

Default Mossy Frog build

So my (single) Mossy is in quarantine and I have many different tanks laying around. So what are your thoughts...

Do I build in the 10 or the 20 tall?

My idea thus far...
    A karst like cave along the shore line of the tank with a hill of plants towards the top...slow water feature dripping over the top of the cave and into the water (like many caves I have been in).

I always hear that limestone is bad to use in vivs, but if the species is from limestone streams, would it be useable?

I am thrilled to be building this and I need it too. Suggestions....now go!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: Mossy Frog build

20 tall....go big or go home!!LOL first off, i like the concept. very cool. how much water are we talking about? 50/50? 70/30? as far as limestone, i can't be positive about safe for the frog. i would imagine that a majority of limestones are pretty much alike, as far as how they affect water chemistry. they are all going to make it hard and alkaline. i would imagine that if it were a wc frog, that would be fine, but a cb, i wouldn't risk. but disregarding the frog for a moment, let's look at the other stuff you're gonna have in the tank. unless you use plants from a limestone stream, any plants you put in it are going to HATE the water. especially over time. most plants like a nice, neutral to soft and acidic water/soil combo. your soil mix may help to buffer it a bit. but probably not enough. but here's the biggie. water spots. you will be constantly cleaning water spots off after a few months (maybe less) you know those dishwasher liquid commercials with all the hazy glasses? there ya go
    1.0.0 Oophaga Pumilio 'Black Jeans'
    0.0.10 Phyllobates Vittatus
    0.0.3 Phyllobates Terribilis 'Mint'
    0.0.3 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Patricia'
    0.0.5 Dendrobates Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Powder Blue'
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya Variabilis 'southern'
    0.0.3 Epipedobates Anthonyi 'zarayunga'
    1.2.0 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus'
    0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    1.0.0 Tabby/Maine Coon Mix
    2.1.0 Genetics Experiments
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

froglover4evr

Clay Substrate How-To - Dendroboard this is a great link on making a great substrate...i dont know much but from what i do know limestone is better left out of the cage...20 vert for sure....i think that would be a great idea!!!! just make sure you use the proper supplies! just wanted to remind you so you have no leaks....i would love to see pics of the final product...just remember that since you have the frog you dont have much time to complete it

NatureLady

Thanks guys! I knew I could count on you, Bill, to chime in!

Limestone ledges sounded cool, but I didn't really expect anyone to say that they would be a good idea. lol! I am no artist, so I will spare you from seeing any drawings having to do with this project. The 20 gallon was decided and I even wrote a nice long reply on this thread, then my internet decided to crash on me. I have a nice lid for the 20 and would have had to purchase a new lid for the extra 10 that I have lying around. I have a lot of supplies already, but I also have a list of needs that is building faster than this build is.

Bill-What species of moss would do good with semi aquatic to total aquatic and a 12 hour light schedule? Oh and cool temps. Moss has never been a plant I have purchased and wrong season to harvest local stuff. Oh and your suggestion on a sub filter for the water...would you say one like your last build???

Steve-Thanks for the input also. My little friend has a nice spacious 10 gallon tank it is currently calling home. I always keep a hospital/quarantine tank laying around for safe measure. The little dude is tiny.

Amanda, i've got you covered on moss. No worries let me know if you want some sheet moss or pillow moss as well. My plant shop sells it for $6. I know zoomed sells that frog moss for cheap, but i have never been able to get it to grow like the stuff i get from my plant girls. Otherwise, i can link you to a quality supplier when i get home.

Submersible filters are pretty much going to be determined on how much room you have, where you plan on placing it and whether or not you plan on having it run your water feature as well.

Which brings me to my next question, how are you planning on running you water feature? Let me know if you need a pump. I get reptiflo 250 pumps for $7 anything you need let me know. Just cover costs of what i pick up for you, shipping is on me call it my little contribution....

Oh, and i won't tell you what the first word out of my mouth was when i saw you got a mossy......lmao!!
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

I forgot to ask. Are you going with a specific "theme"? Are you going with local plants? Big box plants? Or plants that are mostly endemic to se asia? I do have a bunch o'aquatics/marginals from se asia in case you decide to go that route. I can also hook you up with domestics as well.
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

NatureLady

Quote Originally Posted by deranged chipmunk View Post
    Amanda, i've got you covered on moss. No worries let me know if you want some sheet moss or pillow moss as well. My plant shop sells it for $6. I know zoomed sells that frog moss for cheap, but i have never been able to get it to grow like the stuff i get from my plant girls. Otherwise, i can link you to a quality supplier when i get home.

Submersible filters are pretty much going to be determined on how much room you have, where you plan on placing it and whether or not you plan on having it run your water feature as well.

Which brings me to my next question, how are you planning on running you water feature? Let me know if you need a pump. I get reptiflo 250 pumps for $7 anything you need let me know. Just cover costs of what i pick up for you, shipping is on me call it my little contribution....

Oh, and i won't tell you what the first word out of my mouth was when i saw you got a mossy......lmao!!
    WOW, Bill you are awesome!!! If you have yet to gather...I live in the middle of nowhere land. It takes me an hour plus to get to a chain pet store and the only local pet store is beyond a joke. (In fact IF the state ever lays off the naturalists, I think I will open a decent pet store! OR daycare...these are hard to find in my area too.) ((I derail)) I need all the help on quality plant links and info as this forum will provide. That is why I started this thread so early in my build

I have no submersible filters lying around, only the style that hangs from the rim of the tank. I purchased (I think ZooMed brand) waterfall kit for my white's viv and took it out after feeling the need to clean everything within an inch of its life after losing my two white's back in June /July. I had planned to use that to save some money. The pump is simply a means to get the water where it is going and is surprisingly powerful, even on its lowest setting.

As for your first word...at least you understand my awesomeness lmao!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I forgot to ask. Are you going with a specific "theme"? Are you going with local plants? Big box plants? Or plants that are mostly endemic to se asia? I do have a bunch o'aquatics/marginals from se asia in case you decide to go that route. I can also hook you up with domestics as well.
    I do not plan to go as far as SE Asia endemic species only. I have yet to find this said amazing link that shows me what these species are...

I am gathering a lot of ideas from photos of the area where Mossy's are natively found. In my area we have a lot of limestone caves that I have spent many hours spelunking through during my college years. (my professor installs/monitors gates to keep people from vandalizing caves, but allows the bats to still fly safely in and out of the cave to forage.) I think some of what my vision is coming from those caves and ecosystems I have experienced firsthand.

I don't really want photo’s vines or anything that you would see around my local stores. I want it to look as exotic as this little guy does.

NatureLady

As a side note from the build log...somebody liked his baby hissers!!!! Gotta love a non picky frog <3d

Well Amanda, you may feel as though today is your lucky day when i share some info with you here. Due to some construction and design flaws, i need to completely break down my 125. So, if there are any plants in there that you'd like, let me know. I can also send you the pump out of it because i won't be using it in the redesign. Sorry, the filter stays......lol what can i say? I have a soft side for damsels in distress. Ok, so you're not in distress, but you get my poin
    Unfortunately, there is no magic link to all plant species of se asia. That would be a ridiculously huge list.......lol but if you like, i would be more than happy to throw a list together of aquatics and marginals you can use.
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

11. This member thanks deranged chipmunk for this post:

NatureLady

Well Amanda, you may feel as though today is your lucky day when i share some info with you here. Due to some construction and design flaws, i need to completely break down my 125. So, if there are any plants in there that you'd like, let me know. I can also send you the pump out of it because i won't be using it in the redesign. Sorry, the filter stays......lol what can i say? I have a soft side for damsels in distress. Ok, so you're not in distress, but you get my poin
    Unfortunately, there is no magic link to all plant species of se asia. That would be a ridiculously huge list.......lol but if you like, i would be more than happy to throw a list together of aquatics and marginals you can use.
    Stop it BILL!!! That is amazing! I can be a damsel in distress...lol...never mind. I will take em!!! I will send you a pm about it tomorrow.

NatureLady

Good news for me...the 20 tall in storage is in fact a 30 gallon. I have for days been wavering on which tank would go to which frog. I found an amazing piece of drift wood that would be amazing for my WTF Pimby, but the decision was made when it didn't fit into the 30 gallon. So the tank that is now getting a good bath, is once again going for the Mossy.

I found some photo's that are not mine, so I won't share them, of a national park that Mossy's call home. Lots of waterfalls down the mountains and into crystal blue water...wish I could be there now...ANYWAYS.

Here is my question for you today...If my viv has a mountain (back glass) that has a fountain in the corner and cascades into the first pool (that will be no more than 2 inches deep), riffles into another pool (2nd very shallow), and possibly into a third or just into the shallow portion of the water area at the bottom...Would you simply carve the pool into the GS or insert a dish (of some sort) and foam around it to create the pool????

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I have built pools both ways, if your gonna go w/ GS make sure you seal it really good or it will leak. When do we get to see a pic of your little one?
    Bill- is there anyway i could get some of the above stated plants, 2nd pick of course

i would use cheapo dollar store tupperware for the pool. sealing carved gs, is a pita. and don't forget, if you plan to have any plants growing in the pools to allow for substrate as well.

Ronin, you can definitely have 2nd pic. i will be tearing the tank down New Year's day. It's the next day i have off with "nothing to do"...lol btw, i LOVE the name Ronin, i wanted to name my youngest that, but got shot down. it's also the name of my favorite DeNiro film...lol
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

NatureLady

Quote Originally Posted by IrishRonin View Post
    When do we get to see a pic of your little one?
    Name:  18330_10151361554994188_1976719948_n.jpg
Views: 462
Size:  90.0 KB

This is the only photo I have at the moment.

I have possible plastic-ware already taped to the tank in the spots I want the pools.

Nationality
    [United States]

Hi Bill,
    What is the address of the plant shop in Philly? Thanks
    Lynn
    Current Collection
    Dendrobates leucomelas - standard morph
    Dendrobates auratus “Costa Rican Green Black"
    Dendrobates auratus "Pena Blanca"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “New River”
    Dendrobates tinctorius "Green Sipaliwini"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “Powder Blue"
    Dendrobates tinctorius "French Guiana Dwarf Cobalt"

Phyllobates terribilis “Mint”
    Phyllobates terribilis "Orange"
    Phyllobates bicolor "Uraba"

Oophaga pumilio "Black Jeans"
    Oophaga pumilio "Isla Popa"
    Oophaga pumilio "Bastimentos"
    Oophaga pumilio “Mimbitimbi”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Colubre"
    Oophaga pumilio "Red Frog Beach”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Branco"
    Oophaga pumilio “Valle del Rey”
    Oophaga pumilio "BriBri"
    Oophaga pumilio "El Dorado"
    Oophaga pumilio "Cristobal"
    Oophaga pumilio "Rambala"

Oophaga “Vicentei” (blue)

Oophaga sylvatica "Paru"
    Oophaga sylvatica "Pata Blanca"
    Oophaga histrionica “Redhead”
    Oophaga histrionica "Blue"
    Oophaga lehmanni "Red"
    Oophaga histrionica "Tado"

Ranitomeya variabilis "Southern"
    Ranitomeya imitator "Varadero"
    Ranitomeya sirensis "Lower Ucayali"
    Ranitomeya vanzolinii

http://www.fernsfrogs.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ferns.frogs

Hi Lynn, it's not too far from where your son is at. it's city planter. 814 n. 4th st. here's their website Container Garden Planters | City Planter Philadelphia oh, and if you happen to come down for a visit and go there, i highly recommend the restaurant on the corner. they were featured on diners, dives and drive ins. awesome food
    Last edited by deranged chipmunk; December 16th, 2012 at 01:00 PM. Reason: north 4th st, not south
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

Fishbone

Quote Originally Posted by NatureLady View Post

Here is my question for you today...If my viv has a mountain (back glass) that has a fountain in the corner and cascades into the first pool (that will be no more than 2 inches deep), riffles into another pool (2nd very shallow), and possibly into a third or just into the shallow portion of the water area at the bottom...Would you simply carve the pool into the GS or insert a dish (of some sort) and foam around it to create the pool????

In my build, it's still in the planning stage, I have a similar idea with cascading pools.
    From past experience with GS, it's hard to seal it from water, it acts as sponge, for me, using it as a form to hold water is out of the question.

I thought of using cheap tupperware, paint the outside, glue rocks on the inside and sink it in the substrate,.
    To cascade them, I thought of using 3/8 plastic hose glued to a hole close to the top lip, depending on the flow, use 1/2" hose and connect a few different sizes bowls/containers together, or just cut them and glue them together, cascading them .

To make them look less like 'tupperware' and more realistic, use a heat gun to distort the shape, then paint and glue pebbles/rocks.

I saw these at Petsmart, there's a few different shapes/sizes of water dishes and soaking dishes.
    Fluker&#39;s Groovy Jacuzzi - Reptile - Sale - PetSmart

Depending on what my 'pools' look like, I might use both!

BTW I first thought "mossy frog' might be the name of your frog, until I looked it up!
    That is one strange, cool looking creature!!

Keep us up to date on your build!

hey Lady!!! any progress? i get sick for a little while and you did nothing??LOL btw, pm me the pertinent info so i can ship some stuff out after the first of the year. oh yeah, and an idea of some plants you'd like would be nice. maybe a pic so i can see what room you are working with??
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Mossy Frog build

I'd love to see an update too . P.S. The groovy jacuzzi water bowls are awesome. I have them in my pac tanks. They set down into the substrate and they have little built in steps making it easy to get in and out of .
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

NatureLady

Hi guys! Thanks for checking on me and the build.

Christmas for two very amazing little girls is over and I can start back on this project. No, I didn't build while on break for Christmas. Memories with the kids needed to be made. I am only one person so it takes a lot to make Christmas magic. I am much more dedicated to parenting then this project. I also had other personal issues to deal with that were not needed, but happened all the same.

Things are going, but as I have stated before living in small town America is a real pain sometimes. I wasn't able to buy everything that I needed and will have to make a trip to a better store before it is all said and done. (I will probably just order the rest online...but I need an excuse for big town retail therapy...) Ummm...let's see what else...OH! I already knew that I suck at drawing a straight line, well with the use of my father’s power tools I cut the pvc, and I also learned I can't cut in a straight line. So that gave me more work than it should have. But everything is planned out in my head and the majority of it is drawn onto paper/tank sides. Egg crate is cut and sitting in its place. The waterfall part is still playing out in my head and I am working on that today.

So question time...GE II Silicone has a mold/mildew inhibitor...I thought that this was unsafe for builds?

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information