Thread: Planted or pots... discuss!

deeishealthy

Default Planted or pots... discuss!

After the discussion of fake vs real, my 18x18x24 has a lovely selection of plants. But here's my jones: I buried the pots. I built up with big rocks then coconut dirt or wtv, then moss so there were no pot edges showing (see pic). I buried them because I was a) afraid they would hurt themselves on the pots and b) if they are rambunctious I didn't want the pots getting knocked over.

What is your opinion?

Here are my facts and what's in my head:

Without burying the pots, they could potentially have a further four inches of space to climb in.

If I plant the plants directly into the substrate, how do I clean the tank? I can't go digging up the plants all the time... can I?

I cannot make the pots bigger (sturdier) or there will be no room in the tank floor for the soakertub.

What if I make the pots so big that I can top them with moss and they become... no, I don't even know where I'm going with that... the pots as subflooring? Still the same issue, though, of frog poop and pee in the dirt.

How the heck do you spot clean if the poop is not out in the open?? Do you seriously poo hunt every day? I was lucky to catch Ernie pooing so cleaned it right away, but who knows where they have pooped since. I don't see any.

I don't like the floor level because the black strip across the front of the tank is in my field of vision if they soak and when they soak is when I get the best view of them. I want it lower, but am stumped on this plat pot issue.

If I just have the pots at the back of the tank, it doesn't utilize all the great space up in the air for the frogs.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: Planted or pots... discuss!

i don't keep any plants in their pots. that's just asking for them to get root bound and either a) you get stunted growth, or b) they eventually die off. but that can take years. and realistically, they wouldn't have that extra space to climb in because your substrate would need to be that deep to sustain and support the plants.

my advice to you Dee, since you claim of having no green thumb, is to get a cheapo 10 gallon tank. and practice growing plants in it. most people don't mind killing a plant, because well, it's a plant. (not me, i get upset when my plants die. i'm such a girl sometimes..lol) you would be surprised how much you can learn from a simple 10g terrarium. then, when you feel comfortable enough, use that 10g as a temp home for Ernie and Bert, and build them a killer viv in the big house
    1.0.0 Oophaga Pumilio 'Black Jeans'
    0.0.10 Phyllobates Vittatus
    0.0.3 Phyllobates Terribilis 'Mint'
    0.0.3 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Patricia'
    0.0.5 Dendrobates Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Powder Blue'
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya Variabilis 'southern'
    0.0.3 Epipedobates Anthonyi 'zarayunga'
    1.2.0 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus'
    0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    1.0.0 Tabby/Maine Coon Mix
    2.1.0 Genetics Experiments
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

deeishealthy

Interesting idea. I did end up in a conversation with a friend that popped by. Little did I know that terrariums are his thing, and he was super excited to show me what I should do with mine... most importantly getting the plants out of their pots. I now have a game plan and again, you have helped, Bill. Thank you.

I'm going to leave my current system for a couple of weeks, just because it's actually good, and I'm just being picky about it being better. But I have a few things to buy, so I need to get into the next payperiod before I can spend more money. Then I'm ripping it all down and setting it up properly. My friend doesn't know frogs per se, but he knows tropical terrariums, they are a passion of his and I had no idea! Between his knowledge of the plants and my newfound froggy knowledge, I'm gonna build the best habitat!!

there ya go!! build away!!just keep in mind that i'll be starting a new build in the upcoming weeks, so get your game face on!!LOL
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

Quote Originally Posted by deeishealthy View Post
    If I plant the plants directly into the substrate, how do I clean the tank? I can't go digging up the plants all the time... can I?
    How the heck do you spot clean if the poop is not out in the open?? Do you seriously poo hunt every day? I was lucky to catch Ernie pooing so cleaned it right away, but who knows where they have pooped since. I don't see any.
    Stock the tank with springtails and/or sow bugs. They will work away and the stuff you can't find. With a healthy little micro-ecosystem you should be able to go months or even years without having to do a full breakdown of the substrate.

That's awesome you can have some experienced in person guidance, suck as much info out of them as you can. Since they don't know frogs make sure you look into the frog safety of any plants your friend recommends, and of course post pictures after the remodeling!

deeishealthy

Where does one go to buy bugs? A plant nursery? I will have to Google...

And Bill, I look forward to showing you my game face.

as do i Dee, as do i you can get springtails and isopods all over the net. not sure about who is willing to ship to the land of canucks though.
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

deeishealthy

... or if it would be allowed. Strict rules about bringing species in. I'll do some research and post what I find for my fellow Canadians. And if my fellow Canadians have found anything, please let me know!

BRIAN!! yo!! where can Dee get microfauna in Canananananada???
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

Nationality
    [Canada]

Thumbs up Re: Planted or pots... discuss!

I got mine from these guys. DART FROG INC - SPLASH
    Their in Ontario.
    Look under Plants and supplies -feeders.
    They list 2 types of springtails and 1 type of isopods.

deeishealthy

I appreciate the info... but I'm in BC. Specifically the Lower Mainland. I'll check into that place, though. They may mail or recommend a BC store. I really try and shop as local as I can when I can.

Bit of a tree hugger over here.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

I concur with whats been said. If you're planning on a terrarium that needs to be broken down and cleaned, then keep them in the pots and switch them out. Thats the easiest thing to do. However, its becoming much more popular, especially with dart frogs and the like, to create vivariums, basically living tanks. These require far less maintenance once they're running and are basically never broken down and cleaned (at least I don't do that to mine). If you want to make a vivarium then definitely take the plants out of the pots. You'd also need all that good microfauna that was mentioned above.

Personally, I don't think there is anything wrong with your set up and I would probably leave it that way for White's.

Cheers,
    Alex

deeishealthy

Thanks, Alex! A vivarium is most def what I want to create now that I'm aware.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Quote Originally Posted by deeishealthy View Post
    I appreciate the info... but I'm in BC. Specifically the Lower Mainland. I'll check into that place, though. They may mail or recommend a BC store. I really try and shop as local as I can when I can.

Bit of a tree hugger over here.
    I'm in Chilliwack.
    I've ordered things from them a couple of times.
    It's hard to find much of anything locally.

deeishealthy

Aha. Good to know, Dale. Thanks!

Doh! I shoulda read your location, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by deranged chipmunk View Post
    BRIAN!! yo!! where can Dee get microfauna in Canananananada???
    My yard? That's where mine came from. Sow bugs can be found under just about any rotting log you turn over, same with springtails. The springtails were hard to isolate being so very tiny, but I collected about 30 or so from the wild and they managed to multiply without any direction from me. I do have chemical free areas to harvest bugs from though.

Another Ontario source that has a good reputation is Home | Understory Enterprises (look under Care > feeders). Shipping across country might be tough this time of year though, either supplier would probably be able to advise on this.

You might want to check local Dart Frog suppliers, they're probably the best bet to have tiny bugs locally.

Nationality
    [Canada]

You may be able to find someone local by trying the Canadian dart frog forum, http://www.canadart.org/index.php or the B.C. Reptile club forum. bcreptileclub.ca/forum

Thread Information