Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: bubble/swelling on front leg

Burra

Default bubble/swelling on front leg

Hi all! My frog is doing great, except today I noticed a bubble on his/her right front leg. It feels like it is air filled, and doesn't seem to bother him when I touch it or lightly squeeze it. He is eating fine, pooping normal, temp is 85. I am soaking new eco earth to change it tomorrow, it's been a month today. I clean his water daily. There is now obvious injury, bite, or scab, and I don't feed crickets so I really don't think it could even be from a bite. I can't post pics right now, just looking for ideas until I can get a pic up. I can take him to the herp vet tomorrow if needed, but I'm really not sure at this point. Oh, and he is young, I've only had him a month. He was quarter sized when I got him. This is not my first pacman, so I do have some experience, but this bubble/swelling on a leg is something I've never heard of before.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: bubble/swelling on front leg

is it just on one leg? pics would be very helpful.

temps at 85 are too high, you want 80-82 (day) 76-78( night)
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Burra

I actually just increased it to 85 today, I thought it might help, I'll decrease it. One heater goes off at night and temps go down to around to 78.
    Yes, it's one leg. By the elbow. I'll get pics, I'm just not able to tonight. I was just hoping someone else had a similar experience as I can't find any info on a problem like this.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Burra View Post
    I actually just increased it to 85 today, I thought it might help, I'll decrease it. One heater goes off at night and temps go down to around to 78.
    Yes, it's one leg. By the elbow. I'll get pics, I'm just not able to tonight. I was just hoping someone else had a similar experience as I can't find any info on a problem like this.
    Sounds like either a Cyst or infection. I think its a good idea to take him to the herp Vet. These can be anything and if it pops then its a whole different problem. Get it checked.

Nationality
    [United States]

Hey, does the official care sheet posted on here need to be updated? It says 80-85 is acceptable for daytime temps. Just asking, because this is the second time in a few days that I've read people saying 85 is dangerously high.

Huh, air-filled sounds kind of strange. Could that be edema under the skin? Like, just excess retained fluid? Seems like a cyst or infection would feel more obviously fluid or have more resistance than that. Pictures would help. Of course, if you're worried and you have easy access to a herp vet go ahead and try to get him there.

Nationality
    [United States]

How 'bout a pic? We can talk about it all day but a picture is worth....oh hell you know the rest.

85 is just fine.
    Thanks
    DW

Burra

It does not feel like fluid at all. It really feels like an air bubble. I'm a vet tech, but the practice I'm at does not work with exotics, so I can't be 100% sure of anything. Ugh. I've only had him a month, I hate him to have issues already. But you are right, I don't want it to rupture regardless of what it is. I guess we'll be off to the herp vet tomorrow.

And yes, clarification on temps would be wonderful. I was going by the care info and I know most cold blooded animals do better at the higher end of their heating range when they are ill. That was why I increased it to 85 daytime temp today.

Burra

Yeah, I know about a pic, I'll see what I can do with my phone camera.

Nationality
    [United States]

I keep my Pyxies set at 84. It warms up to ninety sometimes and as long as they have a gradient area in thier cage where it is cooler they are just fine. 85 is a good ambient temp. make sure they have clean water, clean deep substrate and a temp gradient and your frog will be fine (barring some health issue, I'm just talking general care). I've watched my Pyxies and Ornate sit in the basking spot where the surface temp is over 100. They have a big cage with a good gradient. If they want to bask in the heat they do. If they want to burrow into the low 70s temp range they do. I leave them alone and let them regulate thier bodies.

There is not a perfect temp. If your frog moves to an area of higher temp then he wants to be warmer. If he moves to an area with lower than an 85 ambient he wants to be cooler. Gradient is the key, not a "perfect temp of 79.9987898'....lol
    Thanks
    DW

Burra

Name:  633.jpg
Views: 606
Size:  24.8 KBName:  634.jpg
Views: 651
Size:  41.6 KBName:  635.jpg
Views: 524
Size:  45.5 KBName:  637.jpg
Views: 729
Size:  30.8 KB

Ok, I hope you can see these because it took me forever to figure out how to get them off of my phone onto the computer! It was much easier to figure out how to post them here.

As you can see, his (I say he but have no clue, he's young) right front leg in the elbow area is swollen. It still feels like air. It has not gotten any worse since I noticed it. It was not there yesterday. The other legs are fine, I took pics for reference. I have no clue what this is. There is no puncture marks, just swelling. It still doesn't seem to bother him, although I totally stressed him taking these pics. He is not used to me yet, he still won't eat until he can't see me.

Let me know what you think, it anything. I'm stumped. I see a herp vet visit coming, but I'd still like to see if anyone has any ideas.

Nationality
    [United States]

Nice looking frog...except for the disgusting bubble twin on it's arm. This is above my paygrade. Take it to the vet. Best of luck. Poor little fellow.
    Thanks
    DW

Burra

I know, I kind of figured that but was hoping someone here may have had a similar experience. I mean, wth is that??? And why did it pop up overnight???? Ugh. At least it doesn't seem painful until we can get to the vet tomorrow. Just remembered I can make an appointment now online.

Nationality
    [United States]

My guess is infection, with it popping up overnight like that. The vet will probably just lance and drain it, maybe give you some antibiotics. Unless something we can't see is wrong he probably has a good chance of getting over this quick.

Burra

Blah, the earliest I can make an appointment online is for Tuesday. I'll call tomorrow to see if they can squeeze me in, this bubble grew so fast I don't want it to wait.
    I'll let you know what he says as even though I am mortified by the bubble, I am fascinated by it as well. I hate when I don't know what something is!

In other news, Petco had a Fantasy today. I didn't have the money to snag it (although it was normal priced), but if it's still there next week it's mine! My friend has a 15 gallon tank he no longer needs.

Burra

Quote Originally Posted by DVirginiana View Post
    My guess is infection, with it popping up overnight like that. The vet will probably just lance and drain it, maybe give you some antibiotics. Unless something we can't see is wrong he probably has a good chance of getting over this quick.
    Thanks for at least taking a guess and making me feel better! I've only had him a month, and he was shipped so I don't know what his previous conditions were. Hopefully that's it.

Nationality
    [United States]

That's pretty sweet. I love when stores don't know what they have. There is a thread on here where someone picked up a "black throated fantasy frog".... Cornuta!!! Awesome find...now I need to find that stuff. All I'v found lately locally was an overpriced, turd brown with a little green fantasy that ended up with a deviated hyoid (bone in the throat?)?? I saw it when I went to pick it up and they wouldn't discount the little dude. He's still there and has at least fattened up some.

On a good note, I was pissed so I went and put an add on FC and Mikesfrogs replied pointing me to this site. Now I have two cornuta and a peppermint on the way tomorrow.. ;-)
    Thanks
    DW

Burra

Ok, he's exactly the same today, no worse, no better. He was hiding in his fake plant, probably because I scared him for the pics last night. He gets stressed much easier than my previous frog, so let's hope he's ok with his vet visit at 4:15 today! (That's EST for my far away froggie friends!)

Thanks for the help, I'll keep everyone posted on what the vet says.

Burra

On a good note, I was pissed so I went and put an add on FC and Mikesfrogs replied pointing me to this site. Now I have two cornuta and a peppermint on the way tomorrow.. ;-)[/QUOTE]

Awesome! I'd love to get a cornuta someday! Like, after I pay this vet bill!

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by DeeDub View Post
    That's pretty sweet. I love when stores don't know what they have.
    Except when they try to sell you a plain brown cranwelli for $40 because they are living in imagination land and think it's an ornate

Nationality
    [Canada]

with as much certainty as i can have over the monitor screen i think it is an abscess ( infection), location is pretty typical as well the fact of appearing over night, it needs surgical attention, take it to the vet asap. and please keep us updated.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information