Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: bubble/swelling on front leg

Burra

Default Re: bubble/swelling on front leg

Yes, alcohol and distilled water. Here is a copy/paste of the ingredients from the website.
    Reptaid Ingredients:
    • Olive Leaf - Helps keep colds and flu at bay, supports immune system, high in antioxidants. Olive Leaf is an excellent anti-microbial that will kill viruses and bacteria.
    • Mustard Seed - Used in fevers, colds and influenza. Helps move acute conditions from the body more quickly.
    • Black Seed - An overall tonic herb known for its effects on the respiratory system, stomach and intestinal tract, kidney and liver, and the circulatory and immune system.
    • Pau D’arco - South American herb that is used for parasites and fungus. Also used for dry cough, anti-inflammatory and blood cleansing. We also use this herb for it’s anti-bacterial properties. Large doses or continued use of this product can cause miscarriage in pregnant animals.
    • Cloves - To rid the body of any microscopic parasites and soothes the intestinal tract. Strong disinfecting action.
    • Grapefruit Seed Extract– Used as a parasitic for small parasites. Has anti-bacterial, anti-fungal and anti-viral properties. For more information go to www.biochemresearch.com.
    • Alcohol - To bring out the properties in the herbs and preserve the tincture.
    • Distilled Water.
    • A single 1 ounce bottle contains 300 doses.

I'm just asking because I actually have it on hand. The website says it's safe, but I really want to hear someone else had success with it before I try it. It worked great for my rescue bearded dragon, but they take it orally and are totally different than frogs.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by Burra View Post
    Yes, alcohol and distilled water. Here is a copy/paste of the ingredients from the website.
    Reptaid Ingredients:
    • Olive Leaf - Helps keep colds and flu at bay, supports immune system, high in antioxidants. Olive Leaf is an excellent anti-microbial that will kill viruses and bacteria.
    • Mustard Seed - Used in fevers, colds and influenza. Helps move acute conditions from the body more quickly.
    • Black Seed - An overall tonic herb known for its effects on the respiratory system, stomach and intestinal tract, kidney and liver, and the circulatory and immune system.
    • Pau D’arco - South American herb that is used for parasites and fungus. Also used for dry cough, anti-inflammatory and blood cleansing. We also use this herb for it’s anti-bacterial properties. Large doses or continued use of this product can cause miscarriage in pregnant animals.
    • Cloves - To rid the body of any microscopic parasites and soothes the intestinal tract. Strong disinfecting action.
    • Grapefruit Seed Extract– Used as a parasitic for small parasites. Has anti-bacterial, anti-fungal and anti-viral properties. For more information go to www.biochemresearch.com.
    • Alcohol - To bring out the properties in the herbs and preserve the tincture.
    • Distilled Water.
    • A single 1 ounce bottle contains 300 doses.

I'm just asking because I actually have it on hand. The website says it's safe, but I really want to hear someone else had success with it before I try it. It worked great for my rescue bearded dragon, but they take it orally and are totally different than frogs.
    I don't believe it's safe for Amphibians. Alcohol is poison them and a small amount can be fatal. Clove oil is used as a anesthetic and for euthanization. Not sure if cloves themselves being in the formula would cause death like the oil does. I guess it would depend on the amount. This may be one of those products that is possibly safe for Reptiles, but not amphibians.

Can you consult your exotic Vet?
    Last edited by GrifTheGreat; November 30th, 2012 at 10:57 PM.

Nationality
    [Canada]

oh yes, that is the one i was thinking. DO NOT use it for a frog, Grif will explain more i hope, but so you know clove oil is used to euthanize frogs, alcohol is a big nono too.

edit and Grif was faster then me

and another edit- i would be very cautious using any herbs or their extracts for frogs, they're very sensitive to everything and there's no research done in terms of safety of using those. I've just lost a frog who didn't make it after anesthesia with clove oil, trust me you don't want to start experimenting with anything. Use repti - aid by fluckers (?) to give a boost, it is safe and approved to use.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Burra

That's why I asked if anyone had any thoughts or experience with it, THANKS!! It seemed harsh for a frog, which is why I asked to begin with. It is sad that they market it as safe for frogs. Most people would use it without questioning it.

Thanks again!

Burra

PS I seriously love this little guy and just want him to pull through and get better. I know it's only been a few days on the antibiotic and I need to be patient, but I just can't. He's been a scaredy frog since I got him and I thought the daily medicating would make it worse, but it seems like there's been a little trust built up now. He doesn't seem to mind his chicken flavored antibiotic, and doesn't seem to mind me opening the lid to the tank anymore. He still hates being picked up, which is fine because I don't plan on handling him except when necessary when this is over. Thank you all for your unending patience and help. I know I'm a pain. LOL.

Nationality
    [United States]

PS I seriously love this little guy and just want him to pull through and get better. I know it's only been a few days on the antibiotic and I need to be patient, but I just can't. He's been a scaredy frog since I got him and I thought the daily medicating would make it worse, but it seems like there's been a little trust built up now. He doesn't seem to mind his chicken flavored antibiotic, and doesn't seem to mind me opening the lid to the tank anymore. He still hates being picked up, which is fine because I don't plan on handling him except when necessary when this is over. Thank you all for your unending patience and help. I know I'm a pain. LOL.
    Not at all. If you don't ask then you never learn.

Nationality
    [United States]

Working with sick animals really does build trust that it would take forever to build otherwise. I've done a lot of rehab work with wild animals, and it's amazing how friendly they become, even ones that are adults and have spent their whole lives in the wild. I guess they figure if you aren't going to eat them when they're weak you're probably safe lol.

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    I don't believe it's safe for Amphibians. Alcohol is poison them ans a small amount can be fatal. Clove oil is used as a anesthetic and for euthanization. Not sure if cloves themselves being in the formula would cause death like the oil does. I guess it would depend on the amount. This may be one of those products that is possibly safe for Reptiles, but not amphibians.

Can you consult your exotic Vet?
    Any medicinal properties as well as the smell of a plant like cloves comes from the essential oils. If they're using it as an ingredient or for aromatic purposes it's a safe bet that there's enough oil to have an effect. Yikes.. After looking at the ingredient list I'd be wary of giving that to even my reptiles, but I'd never give it to my frog.

Nationality
    [United States]

It was clearly stated, but to reiterate. They don't need UVB. Vet is mistaken.
    Thanks
    DW

Burra

Hi all! Just wanted everyone to know that the swelling is starting to go down!!!! It might have started yesterday, but it's slow going, I can really notice it today. I'm so glad!

Thanks again to all for their help! I'm hoping this puts him out of the "danger zone" now. He still has a little over 2 more weeks of taking the antibiotic (I'll be calling the doctor, he said 2-3 weeks total).

Nationality
    [United States]

Hi all! Just wanted everyone to know that the swelling is starting to go down!!!! It might have started yesterday, but it's slow going, I can really notice it today. I'm so glad!

Thanks again to all for their help! I'm hoping this puts him out of the "danger zone" now. He still has a little over 2 more weeks of taking the antibiotic (I'll be calling the doctor, he said 2-3 weeks total).
    That's good to hear. Keep us posted.

Nationality
    [United States]

Hooray!

Definitely be sure to go the whole course of antibiotics. It always seems excessive, but you don't want the infection to linger and then come back. Recently ran into that with a young snake that had a lip infection. Stopped treating for a few days when it looked completely gone, but then it came back with a vengeance.

Nationality
    [Canada]

great news! thank you for updating us, so so good to hear he is getting better.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Blumpert

My frog has the same problem. What happened to your's?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information