Thread: ACF can't stay submerged, and being brought to surface like magnet..Please help!!

michelleb

Default ACF can't stay submerged, and being brought to surface like magnet..Please help!!

Both ACF's showing symptoms now! We have not had the best water quality, and I admit I didn't do water changes as much as I should have. About a week and a half ago I noticed he had been hanging at the surface of the tank and would barely move. He is very underweight. the Dr. said. As soon as I saw this I did a 75% water change and added prime. He won't eat and is very lethargic. We took him to the vet, and he said all his organs looked good from the outside, gave him an antibiotic shot to try to see if it's bacterial. When he swims, he is very fast. We have been soaking im in the baytril the dr had gave everyday for the past week, and no response to it and did a 30% water change everyday since then. He cannot stay submered at the bottom because as soon as he tries to go down, he gets brought back up like a magnet and can't stay at the bottom.

Now last night I notice my other frog is showing the same symptom! The other frog is trying to swim and stay at the bottom but keeps being brougt up to the surface like a magnet too, so she gives up and hangs at the surface and just floats up if she tries to stay at the bottom. I can't understand what is going on. My froggers are only 8 years old, and never had issues until now. I feel so helpless for my little babies. If anyone might have advice, please let me know.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: ACF can't stay submerged, and being brought to surface like magnet..Please help!!

Quote Originally Posted by michelleb View Post
    Both ACF's showing symptoms now! We have not had the best water quality, and I admit I didn't do water changes as much as I should have. About a week and a half ago I noticed he had been hanging at the surface of the tank and would barely move. He is very underweight. the Dr. said. As soon as I saw this I did a 75% water change and added prime. He won't eat and is very lethargic. We took him to the vet, and he said all his organs looked good from the outside, gave him an antibiotic shot to try to see if it's bacterial. When he swims, he is very fast. We have been soaking im in the baytril the dr had gave everyday for the past week, and no response to it and did a 30% water change everyday since then. He cannot stay submered at the bottom because as soon as he tries to go down, he gets brought back up like a magnet and can't stay at the bottom.

Now last night I notice my other frog is showing the same symptom! The other frog is trying to swim and stay at the bottom but keeps being brougt up to the surface like a magnet too, so she gives up and hangs at the surface and just floats up if she tries to stay at the bottom. I can't understand what is going on. My froggers are only 8 years old, and never had issues until now. I feel so helpless for my little babies. If anyone might have advice, please let me know.
    See if anything in here fits. African Clawed Frog Disease and Injury

EDIT; More links. http://www.xenopus.com/disease.htm

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...-oaWc8XM17IOAw

michelleb

Default Re: ACF can't stay submerged, and being brought to surface like magnet..Please help!!

There is nothing I can find there that is near. My second frog only is showing a symtom of not being able to stay at the bottom as hard as she tries, she just floats to the top until she pushes herself back down and then floats back up. I don't know what to even think of this. The only way they can stay at the bottom is if they stand, but can't fully stay on their stomachs. They both swim very well, and fast just one frog is stil not eating, and at the top and sometimes can stay at the bottom, but my second one who developed the latest symptom yesterday cannot submerge at all, and just floats up to the top.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by michelleb View Post
    There is nothing I can find there that is near. My second frog only is showing a symtom of not being able to stay at the bottom as hard as she tries, she just floats to the top until she pushes herself back down and then floats back up. I don't know what to even think of this. The only way they can stay at the bottom is if they stand, but can't fully stay on their stomachs. They both swim very well, and fast just one frog is stil not eating, and at the top and sometimes can stay at the bottom, but my second one who developed the latest symptom yesterday cannot submerge at all, and just floats up to the top.
    Are they bloated at all? If their not bloated and cannot stay submerged then that's got me stumped. Given that I don't own ACFs and am no expert. This sounds very odd.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Buoyancy problems and weight loss are sure indicators of illness among ACFs. Are there any red blotches on the skin or any unusual discoloration of the skin? It is likely a bacterial infection, such as Chryseobacterium or Mycobacterium. They both can cause lesions, weight loss and swimming problems.
    Terry Gampper
    Nebraska Herpetological Society

“If we can discover the meaning in the trilling of a frog, perhaps we may understand why it is for us not merely noise but a song of poetry and emotion.”
    ---
    Adrian Forsyth

7. This member thanks tgampper for this post:

Thread Information