Thread: Amazon milk frog

WhereDidILeaveMyKeys

Default Amazon milk frog

Hello! I joined this forum fifteen minutes ago, with the intent on asking precisely this. :-)
    Basically, I am interested in purchasing one or two Amazon milk frogs. My main problem is that I've found huge inconsistencies with online care sheets, so I hoped this website could shed some light. I would be grateful if anyone with prior knowledge could answer the following questions:
    1) What sort of temperature should the tank be?
    2) Do the frogs actually need company? (Due to the higher maintenance of owning two, I'd rather own one, but many places suggest that companionship is essential.)
    3) Can you recommend or describe any pictures of the tank set up? In particular, how deep and large should the aquatic area be?
    4) Is peat moss an acceptable substrate? How deep should this be?
    5) Finally, how much and how often should food be offered? (This seems to be one of the most inconsistent factors.)
    I've also owned two fire bellied toads since the tender age of seven, and both are still doing well. Is the care of these frogs dramatically different to the toads?
    If you happen to have any other *** bits, please do share them.

Thanks very much!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Amazon milk frog

Quote Originally Posted by WhereDidILeaveMyKeys View Post
    Hello! I joined this forum fifteen minutes ago, with the intent on asking precisely this. :-)
    Basically, I am interested in purchasing one or two Amazon milk frogs. My main problem is that I've found huge inconsistencies with online care sheets, so I hoped this website could shed some light. I would be grateful if anyone with prior knowledge could answer the following questions:
    2) Do the frogs actually need company? (Due to the higher maintenance of owning two, I'd rather own one, but many places suggest that companionship is essential.)
    3) Can you recommend or describe any pictures of the tank set up? In particular, how deep and large should the aquatic area be?
    5) Finally, how much and how often should food be offered? (This seems to be one of the most inconsistent factors.)
    I've also owned two fire bellied toads since the tender age of seven, and both are still doing well. Is the care of these frogs dramatically different to the toads?

Thanks very much!

Hi
    Welcome to Frog Forum.
    I see your post is unanswered. Sorry about that.
    There are many very important/ and good questions you have asked.
    You simply have to read few "care sheets'.
    It is really the best way to approach this.
    A good dose of the basics and independent research will help to prepare you to make the best day-to- today decisions regarding their care.

Michael Novy ( FF) member... is a breeder , and would be a great resource for you moving forward. He is great to talk to!
    Rainforest Junky's - Amazon Milk Frog aka: Milky Frog

You might consider making a post and establishing a few contacts/friends of other members that keep them.
    "calling all Amazon Milk Frog keepers"................

Plus. you could use the FF tool here for information on them! I just did one ...It was several pages.
    You will be reading ALL day!

Lynn
    Current Collection
    Dendrobates leucomelas - standard morph
    Dendrobates auratus “Costa Rican Green Black"
    Dendrobates auratus "Pena Blanca"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “New River”
    Dendrobates tinctorius "Green Sipaliwini"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “Powder Blue"
    Dendrobates tinctorius "French Guiana Dwarf Cobalt"

Phyllobates terribilis “Mint”
    Phyllobates terribilis "Orange"
    Phyllobates bicolor "Uraba"

Oophaga pumilio "Black Jeans"
    Oophaga pumilio "Isla Popa"
    Oophaga pumilio "Bastimentos"
    Oophaga pumilio “Mimbitimbi”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Colubre"
    Oophaga pumilio "Red Frog Beach”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Branco"
    Oophaga pumilio “Valle del Rey”
    Oophaga pumilio "BriBri"
    Oophaga pumilio "El Dorado"
    Oophaga pumilio "Cristobal"
    Oophaga pumilio "Rambala"

Oophaga “Vicentei” (blue)

Oophaga sylvatica "Paru"
    Oophaga sylvatica "Pata Blanca"
    Oophaga histrionica “Redhead”
    Oophaga histrionica "Blue"
    Oophaga lehmanni "Red"
    Oophaga histrionica "Tado"

Ranitomeya variabilis "Southern"
    Ranitomeya imitator "Varadero"
    Ranitomeya sirensis "Lower Ucayali"
    Ranitomeya vanzolinii

http://www.fernsfrogs.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ferns.frogs

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by WhereDidILeaveMyKeys View Post

Thanks very much!
    I can't speak to the specifics of care of these frogs but I wondered what lead you to the conclusions that there would be significantly higher maintenance for two frogs over one. I know twice the feeding, twice the waste and such but honestly I don't think it translates to twice the maintenance (not that you specifically mentioned 2 times the maintenance) I guess it depends on how often you planned to do your tank maintenance and how much more frequently an additional frog would make such maintenance necessary but IMO 2 frogs wouldn't make it that much more difficult and more is better (within reason of course)

As far as do they need a friend, I am not aware of any frogs that NEED companionship and I'm guessing that the sites that suggested they need a companion were also sites that were selling frogs and it is a ploy to get you to purchase more than one but I could be wrong.

These have always been one of my favorites and if they were not so expensive I'd probably have a group of them but right now I can't afford them. Good luck
    Steve Schindler

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Welcome to the forum! Lynn's got you handled. Love the Milk frogs. Lack of response may have to do with the fact that this is in the other frogs/toad forum. Maybe needs to be in tree frogs.
    Thanks
    DW

Thread Information