Thread: Megophrys nasuta

beastmaster

Default Megophrys nasuta

Hello Everyone, I am very interested in owning megophry's nasuta. I am a relative newcomer to frogs but i have tarraium expereince. I mostly own tarantulas(Pterinochilus murinus, Haplopelma lividum, Aphonopelma chalcodes) but i also have a male and female emperor scorpion, and two female Tokay Gecko's I am trying to get as much info and research on M. nasuta as possible cause i have read they are labour intensive or difficult to keep in captivity It is hard to come by good, reliable first hand info on them. I was wondering the proper temperature to keep them at which i read is from mid to high seventies but no higher cause it can stress them and around ten degrees cooler at night. is this correct? also any hints or pointers on cage setup, good substrate, any tricks or helpful gadgets(ultrasonic fog machines, automatic misters, drip systems etc.) Any helpful hints anybody has had success with in owning these will be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance

Default Re: Megophrys nasuta

Everything I had looked up on these guys when I bought mine contradicted each other. I do keep mine around the mid-70's, and try to keep him very humid, misting him a few times a day. I don't think the temperature drops 10 degrees at night, but it is definitely a few degrees cooler.

For mine, I use the tropical soil you find at petstores, with moss on top, and then leaves on top of that (I get my dried leaves at saurian.net, but I'm sure a lot of online reptile shops would have them. I like them). I also make it as full as possible...I have fake ferns and lots of leafy vines, so he can stay well hidden. He seems to be doing very well. I've had him since October.

But Tom can probably give more info than I can.

Kurt

Quote Originally Posted by beastmaster View Post
    I mostly own tarantulas(Pterinochilus murinus, Haplopelma lividum, Aphonopelma chalcodes) but i also have a male and female emperor scorpion, and two female Tokay Gecko's
    I see you like animals with an attitude. Welcome aboard.

StephenLS

I second the advice above - Heavily Planted, Humid, but mine are kept a little warmer at 78.5.....and just a couple of degree drop at night.

They are quite secretive though!

Quote Originally Posted by StephenLS View Post
    They are quite secretive though!
    I seem to be the only one who has really good luck seeing mine eat. He has no problems at all with an audience. And they are very fun to watch. They're quick and smooth, not like the WTFs.

Thread Information