Thread: Redoing the vivarium

Default Redoing the vivarium

Since my White's made a huge, huge, huge mess in the vivarium (but some of it was my fault...I really made the soil level too low, considering how high the water needed to be), and since there were white worms I couldn't identify, I tore it completely apart and rebuilt. I think it looks much better now.

Unfortunately, Luigi has already made a mess by putting soil and leaves and dirt into the water. Oy. I may just need to use a water dish.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Redoing the vivarium

I really like the pebbles.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Thanks John. I do too. And it was not my idea at all. My friend swears the rocks makes it look so much better this time around. But I have to agree.

My frogs keep making a mess though, so I think I'm going to fold and not have the pond area in there like that. I think I'm just going to have the rocks and lay a large water dish on top so I can pull it out and they can have fresh, clean water. Those horrid frogs ruining my tank.

Kerry1968

I know the feeling! I have coco bark and moss substrate and it always ends up in the water! I have a stream type set up and the pump keeps getting blocked up with the substrate. Every 4 days or so I have to lift the false bottom out, remove all the debris in the water and clean the pump!

Nationality
    [United States]

I have peat moss in my tank with live plants... my whites like to get all dirty... then jump in the water dish that they think is a hot tub... then roll in the peat... jump back into the hot tub. then climb the walls and smear the peat on the glass and poop on the leaves of the plants... wow.. they party hard... every night...

the stones look realy good... how do you clean the tank... clean the stones... how often do you do it... I would like to have live plants and the stones... so they cant roll in the dirt... do they need the dirt?

Wyomingite

That looks nice!

WYite

Nationality
    [New Zealand]

Very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Wambli View Post
    I have peat moss in my tank with live plants... my whites like to get all dirty... then jump in the water dish that they think is a hot tub... then roll in the peat... jump back into the hot tub. then climb the walls and smear the peat on the glass and poop on the leaves of the plants... wow.. they party hard... every night...

the stones look realy good... how do you clean the tank... clean the stones... how often do you do it... I would like to have live plants and the stones... so they cant roll in the dirt... do they need the dirt?
    This new setup has only been in for about a month, so I haven't really had to worry about cleaning. I was hoping I could do monthly water changes and that would be that, but these crazy frogs are making it pretty hard; I should have given the vivarium to the nice leaf frog that barely moves all day.

The rocks are only around the edge. There is dirt under the pillow moss. Some of the dirt is now visible because Luigi loves taking a certain piece of it and throwing it into the water, so that piece is now broken into mushy pieces and is getting thrown away. I'm thinking of just putting a large water dish in the pond area, so I can take it out and throw out dirty water and replace with clean water, and not worry about the pond and water pump. It'll still look nice anyways, I think.

And thank you for the comments.

Nationality
    [United States]

My red eye tree frogs tank is beauteful... clean... neat... they never hurt anything... love it... But those darn dumppys... they are like 2 year olds... have to get all the toys out at once... and they never put anything back... I have 4 of them in one tank... 2 pairs of them... the fun thing is when the two boys start sining.... and try to out-doo the other one... it adds to the movie we are watching sometimes... my wife will say... I think the boys are at it again.... or is that on the tv... LOL... anyhow... I realy enjoy the frendship with my dumpys... but you have to love them to keep cleaning up after them...

Lol. You're right. They are like 2 year olds. At night, I can hear them moving around, and I'll hear rocks falling, and I'll think, "Oy, Luigi." Anytime my mom visits me and she looks in the tank and it's a little messed up, she'll say, "Luigi again. He doesn't want it clean." Maybe my frogs are going to turn me off of having children.

I think I have very good vivarium ideas, for small, cute, unmessy treefrogs. But not for White's. :P

I folded...I bought a large water dish to put in the "pond area" as soon as the water evaporates. Even more like children, my White's prevent me from having what I want.

Mallow

Oh here we go. Ignore my comment on your picture, it wouldn't blow up there, but it does here. That's really cool. I like this set up a lot. The rocks do make it look really nice, and it should help keep it a bit cleaner.

We set up a waterfall for our milk frogs (which should be here this coming Thursday ), and it was an absolute pain to put together.

daziladi

I have some of the same pebbles in Chester's vivarium, and it seems he's resting in that area more than others.

When my frogs sleep during the day, they pick the areas around the bark, but while they're moving at night, they do seem to pick the vines or the rocks a lot more than the moss.

Thread Information