Thread: Illegally Selling?

Ben0918

Default Illegally Selling?

who do i contact for illegally selling reptiles and amphibians?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Illegally Selling?

if that is illegal species to sell/keep, you should contact fish and wildlife department (or something similar) in your state. or you can contact local spca and they will direct you or deal with it themselves.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Wicked frogs

how do you illegally sell reptiles and amphibians when they sell them on sites like this craigslist etc? it's like saying people are illegally selling couches!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Wicked frogs View Post
    how do you illegally sell reptiles and amphibians when they sell them on sites like this craigslist etc? it's like saying people are illegally selling couches!!!
    It's not at all the same. Some species are illegal to keep and/or sell in some countries/provinces/states/regions, often anything endangered falls under this sort of protection but laws will vary from place to place. Check with your local fish/game or wildlife people, they're often the people in charge of this or should be able to point you to whoever regulates this sort of thing in your area.

Wicked frogs

So i am selling my dart frogs if it is illegal i can get in trouble?

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Just a forewarning, this topic may snowball quickly!

A few examples of illegal amphibian trade:
    Obviously, the sale of endangered/protected amphibians is illegal on a state, national and global basis. The E.S.A. and CITES are the go to's on this topic. Trade is tightly controlled on species listed in these documents.
    - Eastern Indigos are an example of a species that is (nearly) illegal to sell because of its protected nature. In order to sell them across state lines breeders must fill out a **** ton of paperwork (thats a formal legal definition). This is why very frequently you will see breeders/dealers only offering them for in-state sales.
    - Dart frogs are another example. If you've ever tried to buy from that extremely awesome Dendrobatid distributor in Canada then you know that in order for them to ship stuff here they need to fill out CITES paperwork because even though they are legal animals their trade is controlled.

Furthermore, states can prohibit certain animals and what not, making their trade and even ownership illegal.
    -Until very recently dart frogs were "illegal" in CT. This meant that those of us who may or may not have owned them could potentially get in trouble. It definitely meant that there could be no sales in state or to the the state though. Thankfully, this law has been fixed.
    -California is an example of a state where trade is tightly controlled on amphibians and other pets. I'm not sure of the list of species they prohibit (because frankly I don't care) but I believe it is quite extensive.

So yeah, it has basically become a case by case basis for the trade of reptiles and amphibians (and all other animals) and often falls under state FWS and/or DEP (and maybe even agricultural department) jurisdiction and sometimes if even falls under national FWS power. Always something to be mindful of. You'll notice that on many sites dealers have disclaimers that recipients hold the responsibility of knowing state laws and that the dealer will bear no responsibility if the animal is seized.

~Alex

Wicked frogs

weird.

Nationality
    [United States]

What Alex said and on top of that some areas prohibit the sale of pretty much anything without a business license or permit. Depending on you local laws and ordinances you may very well be breaking the law.
    Steve Schindler

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Who is selling illegally, and what are they selling? Where are they selling it? Just curious.
    Last edited by DeeDub; January 2nd, 2013 at 08:19 PM. Reason: lame...sorry. old post, i shoulda looked first. disregard.
    Thanks
    DW

Ben0918

I'm saying they're selling frogs and reptiles illegally like without permits and licenses and travel permits. Kendrick Zoological, run Charles Kendrick. On top of it, a majority or his animals are poorly conditioned. It's different on Craigslist because MOST. of the time it's rehoming but he's doing it as a business

Thread Information