Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: what toad is this

Murray of the Deep

Exclamation what toad is this

Name:  fropp.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  32.4 KB here's the pic what toad?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: what toad is this

Quote Originally Posted by jeromeetabuzo View Post
    Name:  fropp.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  32.4 KB here's the pic what toad?
    Need a better picture we can't see the toad.

Murray of the Deep

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    Need a better picture we can't see the toad.
    Name:  toad.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  36.9 KB hey grif here's a clearer pic

Nationality
    [United States]

Still can't see it. Take a picture of just the toad with nothing hindering the image. We can't see the toad clearly through the container.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Remove the top of the container and take a picture that way. Can't see through the plastic wall enough to see any detail that would help ID him.

Pluke

Helps to know where you caught the toad as well.

Murray of the Deep

Still can't see it. Take a picture of just the toad with nothing hindering the image. We can't see the toad clearly through the container.
    Name:  toadt.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  58.1 KB
    ok here a bird'e eye view and also cleaned his container why did he stopped eating mealworms and crickets??? is he still new to his container cause i just cleansed his container and placed him back and photographed him should i just wait?

Murray of the Deep

Name:  toadt.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  58.1 KB
    here a pic can i keep him? my uncle caught him near out door and my uncle tried to save him from cats so he gave it to me as pet and i placed him in a container and he goes crazy for worms and also i mist his cage everyday and also why did he stop eating is he full? he ate 5-8 worms yesterday... and also what toad/frog?

Pluke

I meant what country/state, to be more specific. There are so many different kinds of frogs and toads all over the world, it's hard to identify to an exact species without a location idea. As of right now I can't be much help from the picture.

Nationality
    [United States]

It looks like a young Cane Toad(Bufo marinus), but could also be a Philippine Toad.

Murray of the Deep

i found him in Phlippines my country and also can i keep him as pet?

Murray of the Deep

oh yeah and also do they have poison?? which means i cant keep him??

Nationality
    [Canada]

I agree that it does look like a young cane toad. But I am not an expert on these guys. I know they can be found in your country though.
    If someone else can confirm that it is a Cane Toad, you can check out a care sheet at this link: How to care for your new Cane/Marine Toad, Bufo marinus, with pictures, and here: Cane Toad Care sheet - The Amphibian.co.uk. Cane Toad, Marine Toad, Giant Toad, Bufo Marinus, captive care, feeding, breeding, housing and more., and on the forum here: http://www.frogforum.net/toads/2889-...caresheet.html

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by jeromeetabuzo View Post
    oh yeah and also do they have poison?? which means i cant keep him??
    Yes Jerome they are toxic. All toads are. The large wort like bumps behind the eyes are called Paratoid glands and this is where their toxin is manufactured. When threatened or scared the Toad will secrete a white milky toxin out of the glands to deter predators from eating the Toad. If they eat it they die. The toxin can cause serious eye irritation and if ingested could make you very sick or worse.

They can be kept as pets, but if you're able to do so use caution and don't handle the Toad unless absolutely necessary and wash you hands before and after handleing the Toad.

Murray of the Deep

Yes Jerome they are toxic. All toads are. The large wort like bumps behind the eyes are called Paratoid glands and this is where their toxin is manufactured. When threatened or scared the Toad will secrete a white milky toxin out of the glands to deter predators from eating the Toad. If they eat it they die. The toxin can cause serious eye irritation and if ingested could make you very sick or worse.

They can be kept as pets, but if you're able to do so use caution and don't handle the Toad unless absolutely necessary and wash you hands before and after handleing the Toad.
    hey grif i changed his cage from a little pet carrier to a 20 gallon tank all by itself and placed water dish and rocks and wet towel as substrate and a food dish with worms and why is it that he keeps jumping like wanting to escape out of its cage??? and also why isnt he eating his cricket and not minding its worms anymore??? he just keeps jumping all over the 20 gallon tank?? is he still adapting and exploring is this normal? he didnt secret any toxin when i place him is this normal??? or should i try to feed it the next day? he already ate 5 mealworms and 3 earthworms is he full or getting new to its habitat?

Pluke

I'm sure he's gonna take a little while to get used to his new home, especially if it's a wild animal. They don't secret toxins unless severely threatened, usually when picked up by an animals teeth. I have never picked up a toad and had it secret toxin and I've handled a ton of toads, as long as you're gentle you'll see no toxins.

Since you said he ate a lot of worms already, I'm betting that he's full and getting used to his new home so probably won't eat for a little while, just give him some time to settle in. Toads like hiding places, so if you can give him something to hide in or under, it'd make him much more comfortable and he'll settle better.

Edit: Since he's a wild caught toad you can probably use stuff from outside, like pieces of wood, moss, stuff like that. If you can get some clean soil, you could use that as a substrate and he might burrow into it a little bit. I've seen clay pots broken in half used as cool little toad huts, too. Just to give you some ideas.

Murray of the Deep

what name do you think ill give it???

Pluke

Looks like a Henry to me.

Murray of the Deep

Quote Originally Posted by Pluke View Post
    Looks like a Henry to me.
    is it a boy??

Pluke

I have no idea what sex it is, sorry. I was just giving it a name.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information