Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: what toad is this

Murray of the Deep

Default Re: what toad is this

the only pillbugs i find are asian dwarf pillbugs those tiny ones..... there is no big pillbugs in the philippines...... would cockroaches be fine??(wild caught) i could go get spider or grasshoppers....

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by jeromeetabuzo View Post
    the only pillbugs i find are asian dwarf pillbugs those tiny ones..... there is no big pillbugs in the philippines...... would cockroaches be fine??(wild caught) i could go get spider or grasshoppers....
    No spiders. Since he is already wild caught it should be fine to catch wild insects. Roaches would be fine. Just dont feed him any insects caught near anywhere with chemicals or fertilizers.
    Last edited by GrifTheGreat; November 25th, 2012 at 08:42 AM.

Lixra

Quote Originally Posted by Pluke View Post
    They don't secret toxins unless severely threatened, usually when picked up by an animals teeth. I have never picked up a toad and had it secret toxin and I've handled a ton of toads, as long as you're gentle you'll see no toxins.
    I wonder if urine is classified as a toxin... if so, I had toxin secreted all over me several times when growing up

I'm not too up on the toads, but it does look like a very young Cane Toad. Many people do keep these as pets, but be prepared because these things grow HUGE. Also as it's a wild caught animal instead of captive bred, so make sure you keep stress to a minimum while it's adjusting to captivity.

Murray of the Deep

thnx for your answers i know why he cant eat crickets it's too big for him i give him tiny mealworms and small milipedes or maybe cockroach if i can catch one and also he was eating already using his tongue or mouth but he only wants to be fed once in an hour i think he's still getting use to it??oh and also would milipede be safe???and also he's pretty cool watching him eat he pooped and shed its skin and jumps like crazy around his terrarium at noons he also ate a cricket i saw a carcass hidden in the caves...

Quote Originally Posted by jeromeetabuzo View Post
    he also ate a cricket i saw a carcass hidden in the caves...
    If it ate a cricket there should be no evidence. You may or may not find a few undigested bits of cricket (like wings) in the feces, but toads swallow food whole.

I'd probably avoid feeding millipedes as they appear to have a high chitin to meat ratio, but I don't really know anything about their nutritional value.

Nationality
    [United States]

I agree with Brian. No Millipedes. I also am sure that some Millipedes have secretions like Shieldbugs do. Not very tasty.

Also like Colleen said above. Cane Toads get massive. Next to the Colorado River Toad I believe they're one of the largest if not THE largest toad. Reaching about 9 inches Snout to Vent.

VictorsMom

To me, this looks like a Cane Toad (Bufo marinus). They are a species of true toad. This species is native to Central America. However, they have been introduced to many parts of the world. They are plentiful throughout most parts of Oceania. I also know of some islands in the Carribean that have Cane Toads. They are a member of the subgenus Rhinella. Their genus is Bufo. That means they are a species of true toad. Females lay single-clump spawns. They can have thousands of eggs per batch. They will consume living and dead animal matter, which is unusual among anurans.

Murray of the Deep

can i offer him mealworms on the moment till i get some dubias?? he also ate ants he pounced on them crawling in their enclosure and swallowed them 1 by 1??

Wormwood

Ants are fine.

VictorsMom

Most toads will eat any small insect that will fit into their mouth. For a small toad, offer 2 very small insects, 1 small slug, or 1 pinhead cricket. For a medium size toad, offer 2 small insects, 1 medium slug, or 2 small crickets per day. For a large toad offer 3 small insects, 1 large slug, or 3 small crickets per day. Most toads will only eat live insects (although I have had success feeding mine canned superworms). Only feed dead insects that you buy from a pet store that have been canned and refridgerated after opening. Toads are predators. One adult toad can eat 25 mosquitoes in one night! You want your toad to be fat. A skinny toad is a sick or starving toad. Most pet stores and bait shops sell crickets. You can purchase many at one time and keep them in a container with some apple slices to eat and egg cartons to hide in.

Murray of the Deep

he wont eat crickets i placed 2 in his cage and wont mind it he only like mealworms? or worm thingy..... ifi t's mealworm he strikes it fast! is it ok? i cant get dubias still maybe next month...

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

The crickets might be too fast for him to catch. Only one of my toads will actually chase crickets. The others just sit there and maybe flick their tongue out every now and again when a cricket runs by. Mealworms should be ok until you can get some roaches. If you can, pick out some freshly shed mealworms. They will be white and soft. The tiny pill bugs will be ok too. You just have to feed a lot of them. But all my toads seem to love them even if they are small.

Nationality
    [United States]

Release the toad back into the wild.
    Thanks
    DW

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information