Thread: Red Eye Tree Frog Progress!

Dannysxu

Default Red Eye Tree Frog Progress!

So I just finished attaching the driftwood and corks I got to the back wall with some GE II Silicone and the great stuff wall is done! Woot! haha The false bottom is finished as well and I drilled some holes to the bottom of the tank so i wouldn't have to worry about siphoning. I placed an order from Joshs Frogs for 6 plants from his kit that includes a random assortment for a ten gallon. I have a 20 high but I figure six plants will be enough. So far building this has been a blast and I really can't wait to get those plants so I can finish up the vivarium!
    I did have a few questions though, one of them being is a water bowl completely necessary for a red eyed tree frog? Keeping in mind that I don't have a water feature, but will be misting regularly of course.

Would it be ill-advised to mix coconut fiber with Zoo Med Terrarium Moss. I would use that mixture and silicone it to the Great Stuff background, I was thinking about mixing it in with the substrate too, but I was worried that the RTF's would accidentally swallow it (even though I'll be bowl feeding them) and it would cause compaction.

Any help is appreciated!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: Red Eye Tree Frog Progress!

Yes, retf's need a water bowl. Gives them a nice place to soak. Make sure you use dechlorinated water in it.

Personally, i wouldn't use the moss on a background. Only due to the fact that i have seen it rot after being wet/moist for a long time. But that is just me. I'm sure people have used it without problem. Maybe someone who has done it will chime it.
    1.0.0 Oophaga Pumilio 'Black Jeans'
    0.0.10 Phyllobates Vittatus
    0.0.3 Phyllobates Terribilis 'Mint'
    0.0.3 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Patricia'
    0.0.5 Dendrobates Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Powder Blue'
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya Variabilis 'southern'
    0.0.3 Epipedobates Anthonyi 'zarayunga'
    1.2.0 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus'
    0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    1.0.0 Tabby/Maine Coon Mix
    2.1.0 Genetics Experiments
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Should be fine since you bowl feed. Someone else suggested to me that you could also blend live moss (Joshsfrogs also sells it) with the coco fiber and it will grow right out of the background if kept wet.

Six plants should be enough. You can always add more later if needed. One of the things I've learned in the hobby is that when it comes to plants, you always have less space than you think. It is easy to overlook the ability of plants to grow and offshoot. Try to have at least one broadleafed plant in there as red eyes love sleeping against leaves big enough to obscure them completely.

Oh, and we demand pictures

Dannysxu

haha pictures will be up soon! That's exactly what I heard about the moss, so I'm glad I asked Bill.
    And yes Brian, my thoughts exactly. Josh had another kit for a 20 gallon high, but that had 11 or 12 plants and I felt that would be a bit much considering the size of the tank. I plan on getting two tree frogs for this tank, do you guys think that the water bowl should be big enough for both of them to fit or would a small one be enough?
    Also I was looking at these flukers vines and I was wondering if you guys think their good or not?

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Big enough for both. Keep the water level low enough so there's no risk of drowning. Get the plants settled first, then decide whether you need a vine. Ideally, you should let the finished tank grow in a bit. What kind of plants are you getting?

Dannysxu

I'm getting two small bromeliads, one fern, one vining plant, and two tropicals. It'll be a random assortment of that, I'm just not sure how strong the plants will be or if they will be strong enough to hold the frogs weight

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Another lesson I learned in this hobby is that it's a dart frog's world, and tree frogs just happen to be living in it A lot of the plants you find at Joshs and other places are offered with dart frog vivariums in mind. There are a few things that are good for tree frogs, but most of the tropicals and bromeliads and such are ideally suited for darts, which tend to be smaller and less destructive. These smaller plants can still serve a decorative - if not becessarily functional - purpose in a tree frog vivarium, which is why I suggested you have at least one plant that is fairly robust and broadleafed. Pothos or some kind of philodendron will do nicely. Sansevieria and peace lily are also great choices - although your tank may not be tall enough for those. Fortunately, red eyes are neither particularly big nor heavy of foot, so they won't cause too much damage even to fragile plants. You can add some ghostwood or manzanita branches for more climbing surfaces, if needed.

Dannysxu

That makes sense to me! Thanks a lot brian! I definitely will look into it! Also, from what I've read, bromeliads die after blooming. Does this mean I'd have to keep repurchasing them if I wanted them in my tank?

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Not sure but I doubt that's true for all of them. Bromeliads encompass many species - I've had some for years without blooming. But if you take good care of them, they will produce many offshoots.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by Dannysxu View Post
    So I just finished attaching the driftwood and corks I got to the back wall with some GE II Silicone and the great stuff wall is done! Woot! haha The false bottom is finished as well and I drilled some holes to the bottom of the tank so i wouldn't have to worry about siphoning. I placed an order from Joshs Frogs for 6 plants from his kit that includes a random assortment for a ten gallon. I have a 20 high but I figure six plants will be enough. So far building this has been a blast and I really can't wait to get those plants so I can finish up the vivarium!
    I did have a few questions though, one of them being is a water bowl completely necessary for a red eyed tree frog? Keeping in mind that I don't have a water feature, but will be misting regularly of course.

Would it be ill-advised to mix coconut fiber with Zoo Med Terrarium Moss. I would use that mixture and silicone it to the Great Stuff background, I was thinking about mixing it in with the substrate too, but I was worried that the RTF's would accidentally swallow it (even though I'll be bowl feeding them) and it would cause compaction.

Any help is appreciated!
    Hi Dannysxu,

For starters-
    A shallow soaking dish , cleaned daily, and re-filled with de-chlorinated water and lots of big leaves suspended as high as possible are imperative. Feed them well and dust with Cal and vitamin supliment. Provide a day/ night light cycle.

Can't wait to see your photos !

Care sheet:
    http://www.frogforum.net/tree-frogs/...caresheet.html

BTW
    Welcome to FF!
    Lynn
    Current Collection
    Dendrobates leucomelas - standard morph
    Dendrobates auratus “Costa Rican Green Black"
    Dendrobates auratus "Pena Blanca"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “New River”
    Dendrobates tinctorius "Green Sipaliwini"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “Powder Blue"
    Dendrobates tinctorius "French Guiana Dwarf Cobalt"

Phyllobates terribilis “Mint”
    Phyllobates terribilis "Orange"
    Phyllobates bicolor "Uraba"

Oophaga pumilio "Black Jeans"
    Oophaga pumilio "Isla Popa"
    Oophaga pumilio "Bastimentos"
    Oophaga pumilio “Mimbitimbi”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Colubre"
    Oophaga pumilio "Red Frog Beach”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Branco"
    Oophaga pumilio “Valle del Rey”
    Oophaga pumilio "BriBri"
    Oophaga pumilio "El Dorado"
    Oophaga pumilio "Cristobal"
    Oophaga pumilio "Rambala"

Oophaga “Vicentei” (blue)

Oophaga sylvatica "Paru"
    Oophaga sylvatica "Pata Blanca"
    Oophaga histrionica “Redhead”
    Oophaga histrionica "Blue"
    Oophaga lehmanni "Red"
    Oophaga histrionica "Tado"

Ranitomeya variabilis "Southern"
    Ranitomeya imitator "Varadero"
    Ranitomeya sirensis "Lower Ucayali"
    Ranitomeya vanzolinii

http://www.fernsfrogs.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ferns.frogs

Quote Originally Posted by Dannysxu View Post
    That makes sense to me! Thanks a lot brian! I definitely will look into it! Also, from what I've read, bromeliads die after blooming. Does this mean I'd have to keep repurchasing them if I wanted them in my tank?
    after blooming, the brom will sprout pups from it's base. then the mother plant will start to die off. this doesn't happen in all broms, just certain species. i forget which.
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

you made the right choice in starting with less plants. as brian said, many people forget that they are buying young plants and they will grow. especially ferns. some can grow monstrous, but can be controlled with some regular pruning. remember that red eyes live high in the trees, so plan your plantings around that. if you want a nice, sturdy plant for the ground that a lot of people over look, pick up a diffenbachia. it will grow to be a giant, but with regular pruning, it can be controlled. in a tree frog environment, especially a species such as a red eye, the ground layer is for you. the aerial space is for the frogs. at least that is the way i always look at it. just like brian said, some nice pothos or any of the climbing philodendrons will work wonderfully. remember as far as the philos. go, there are terrestrial species and well as vine species. also keep in mind that with heavy planting in the upper portions of the enclosure, your ground plants need to be shade loving plants. light loving plants will grow, but very slowly.
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

Dannysxu

Hey guys! Just got the plants in and the tank is pretty much finished, turns out I need a bit more ABG mix, but that's already on the way. I think I have enough climbing material for the Red eyes, although I'm open to suggestion to as how I could maybe put more in there. Thanks to all you guys for all your help so far! I did have a question or two though. Since I'm getting two red eyes, should I get two feeding bowls so as to reduce the chances of fighting over food? Also for the water bowl, it should be as shallow as possible correct?
    Name:  DSC04769.jpg
Views: 1718
Size:  103.6 KB

Thread Information