Thread: Getting started

Ltw246

Default Getting started

I'm interested in keeping dart frogs (I saw a few on a birding trip to Costa Rica). Wondering how to get started. Are dart frogs a reasonable place to start with frogs? What book(s) would might I go to for a good foundation and/or step by step instructions? Where on the forum would I find foundational articles? Are there other good web sites or resources for beginners?

Tom W

100+ Post Member Teh Frog Whisperer's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Getting started

Eh. Dart frogs are awesome and all but I am not 100% sure if they're a great first frog. I'm not saying they're REALLY demanding or anything, because they're not, and it's actually probably worth a try. Something tells me you're looking for a colorful vivarium pet-maybe you could start out with a tree frog of some sort? Just a suggestion-I am absolutely NOT trying to discourage you from dart frogs.
    0.1.0 Lepidobatrachus laevis-George-RIP
    0.1.0 Ceratophrys cranwelli x cornuta-Peggy
    0.0.1 Litoria caerulea-Fremont
    0.0.1 Lithobates catesbeianus-The Bullfrog
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya sp.-Clay and Gemma

Ltw246

Frog Whisperer; Thanks for your viewpoint on this. Not yet sure what I'm going to do but I'll think carefully and do my research before I undertake anything. I also keep live-bearing fish which are of course not the same as frogs, but it has taught me that you have to adapt the habitat to the species and take regular care of your pets. Color is one one reason I'm interested in Dart Frogs, but their small size and having seen them in the wild is part of the attraction for me. Looks as if you have quite a varied collection of pets. My regards to Fremont, Rio, Wendy, George, Zoey, Sally, Pepper, Terry, Lucy, and Peggy.

Nationality
    [United States]

If you really want dart frogs I say go for it. Sometimes the worst advice you can give a person is to start with something other than what they really want "just to get some experience" Obviously if what someone really wants is a highly advanced species with very demanding requirements the advice may be sound but with dart frogs I would say that is not the case. I have found that D. leucomelas, D. auratus and D. t. azureus are some of the easiest species of frogs to keep and I would have no issues with recommending them to a first time frog keeper. As long as your do a bit of research first and make sure you meet their fairly easy to meet requirements I see no reason why you can't start off with dart frogs. Please note that I can only speak to the three species I mentioned above as they are the only ones I have kept (except some E. tricolors for a short time before I got rid of them) There may be others that would fit this category (I suspect there are several) but there may be others that are more demanding and may not.

One of the most overlooked aspect of a persons ability to care for a particular species is their desire to have that particular species. Even with some of the harder species if that is what they really want they may be willing to take that extra step or two to succeed. If they settle for a species that is "easier" but one they have no real affinity for they may fail simply because of a lack of interest.

About 12 years ago a customer came into my store with her son who wanted a ball python. That's all he wanted was a ball python but his mom said no. She was determined that if he was going to get a snake it would be something "easier" He settled for a corn snake and within 3 months she brought it back and said "I knew he wouldn't stay interested in it. A year or so later he turned 18, got his own apartment and one of the first things he bought was a ball python. Within 2 years he was breeding them and he still has his original snake and a nice collection of about a dozen or so morphs today.

My point is that as long as you can meet the care requirements and they are not an unreasonably difficult species I see no reason not to get what you really want.
    Steve Schindler

well said if your heart is set on darts go for darts. if you wanted a dog, you wouldn't buy a hamster first because it was easier, would you? ok, poor example, i know, but i think you get the point. and i couldn't agree with Steve more that if a person has the desire, then they will do whatever it takes to make what they desire happen. and since you saw them up close and personal in their natural habitat? i would say there's no stopping you now just let me know when the first froglets are ready to ship LOL
    1.0.0 Oophaga Pumilio 'Black Jeans'
    0.0.10 Phyllobates Vittatus
    0.0.3 Phyllobates Terribilis 'Mint'
    0.0.3 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Patricia'
    0.0.5 Dendrobates Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Powder Blue'
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya Variabilis 'southern'
    0.0.3 Epipedobates Anthonyi 'zarayunga'
    1.2.0 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus'
    0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    1.0.0 Tabby/Maine Coon Mix
    2.1.0 Genetics Experiments
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

Ltw246

Thanks guys. I really appreciate the encouragement. I'm still reading and studying but will try to post pictures as things move along. And I will no doubt be asking more specific questions on other parts of the forum as questions arise. Of course Bill will have first pick of the froglets.

Yay!! You can't see it, but i'm dancing here.......lol
    1.0.0 Oophaga Pumilio 'Black Jeans'
    0.0.10 Phyllobates Vittatus
    0.0.3 Phyllobates Terribilis 'Mint'
    0.0.3 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Patricia'
    0.0.5 Dendrobates Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Powder Blue'
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya Variabilis 'southern'
    0.0.3 Epipedobates Anthonyi 'zarayunga'
    1.2.0 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus'