Thread: My experience with shrimp as a staple

PaulyMolitor

Default My experience with shrimp as a staple

Months ago I bought maybe an 8 pound bag of frozen cooked cocktail shrimp. It was $25 and I brought it home and to my surprise they were shelled and not deviened. I cannot eat shrimp pooh and hate deviening shrimp so I started peeling off the shells and feeding the to my pacs. Not only have they grown big and strong, but they love em! In my opinion it is the cheapest way to feed frogs. At the rate the bag is going it will last for many more months. Just wanted to share

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Hoppity100

Default Re: My experience with shrimp as a staple

You mean they eat without the food moving? Hey, maybe I can dangle these in front of my FB's, as I think mine might be sick of crickets and wax worms. Mine won't go for a night crawler because they are too long. I cut one into pieces and they don't wiggle long enough to get frogs attention. I'll have to try to dangle them again. Do you remove shrimp shells before feeding? I just thought of something: the store sells salad shrimp which are smaller. I may give them a try. Thanks for sharing!

Pluke

Just curious, how long have you been feeding them shrimp? What other foods do they get aside from the shrimp..? I've heard of people using them before, just seems kind of strange. Do you dust them with calcium/vitamins too?

PaulyMolitor

I dangle them in front of their face with a tweezers and shake it to mimic life. I do dust them sometimes with calcium or a multivitamin. Occasionally I feed them earthworms and I also bought these new york strip steaks I bought at walmart that I cut up which I bought after seeing that steak swap commercial. I was grossed out mentally about eating cheap walmart meat so I give it to the pacs on occasion. Besides pac food which I dont like cause of the price, mess and smell it leaves on my fingers that is it. No crickets or mice for my guys due to parasite reasons. I would to frozen feeders but they get steak which is similar but easier to digest imo
    basically besides worms I mainly feed my guys meat designed for human consumption that I dont want instead of throwing it away. 2 birds 1 stone and yes I take off the shells. I figured it makes it pass better

Pluke

I would stay away from Steak, especially Walmart steak.. they are known for having a ton of chemicals in their food, growth hormomes/antibiotics.. I wouldn't subject my frogs to that but that's just me. I can't think of any reason not to try the shrimp though, other than the classic "they wouldn't eat it in nature" argument.

How long have you been feeding them the shrimp? I know you said months ago, just wondering how long total and how often.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Dont feed them meats like steak, hamburger, or anything else of that nature. You will make your frog sick. Shrimp are ok occationally if the come from a reputable source.

Nationality
    [United States]

There is no reason to worry about parasites from frozen/thawed pinkies from a reputable organization. I don't know for sure about crickets, but I've never heard anyone talk about parasites from feeding crickets.

Store-bought meats can actually give reptiles parasites as well. I know people who have had to de-worm snakes and turtles after feeding fresh meat. Not saying all storebought meats will give your pet parasites, just that it's definitely still a possibility.

Duriel

Jeez your frogs eat better than I do lol.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by DVirginiana View Post
    There is no reason to worry about parasites from frozen/thawed pinkies from a reputable organization. I don't know for sure about crickets, but I've never heard anyone talk about parasites from feeding crickets.

Store-bought meats can actually give reptiles parasites as well. I know people who have had to de-worm snakes and turtles after feeding fresh meat. Not saying all storebought meats will give your pet parasites, just that it's definitely still a possibility.

Crickets are natorious for carrying pinworms. So they can have parasites even if home bred.
    Last edited by GrifTheGreat; November 17th, 2012 at 06:21 AM.

Nationality
    [United States]

[QUOTE=GrifTheGreat;145730]
    Quote Originally Posted by DVirginiana View Post
    Crickets are natorious for carrying pinworms. So they can have parasites even if home bred.
    Huh, I'd never heard that. What are the symptoms of those? Not that I think mine has that, just wondering.

Wicked frogs

I trust my local seafood if i eat it raw then you know it's GOOOOOOD

PS: My pac-man goes nuttts ova the JUMBOS!!!!

Nationality
    [United States]

[QUOTE=DVirginiana;145732]
    Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post

Huh, I'd never heard that. What are the symptoms of those? Not that I think mine has that, just wondering.
    Like most parasitic worms. Runny feces, dryer skin than usual, worms in the feces, occationally loss of appetite, weight loss. Excluding Hookworms and Tapeworms, but a few symptoms are similar with them.

Hoppity100

Heck no, I would not give them beef or other type of meat. I also would not offer them a taco! laughing... The shrimp idea sounds good to me! Today I might stop in Lowe's and see if they sell a small amount indoor outdoor carpet. If its soft enough I could use that as part of their land. The pebbles I tried to stabilize with large rocks keep sliding. That's why I have a shallow plastic dish of eco earth they often sit on. Or, I could remove the pebbles since I have plenty of rocks. I'll figure out how to set it up before I clean their tank today. Thanks for the shrimp idea!

Thread Information