Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to change a diet from rodents only to nightcrawlers and stuff?

Steniljeh

Default How to change a diet from rodents only to nightcrawlers and stuff?

Hi there!
    I got two 3 year old cranwellis last weekend. The last owner fed them only with rodents, so they are quite fat. Now I have problems with feeding. They won't take nightcrawlers and stuff. How long can it change to get them used to their new diet?

Thanks a lot!

Gesendet von meinem One X mit Tapatalk 2

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: How to change a diet from rodents only to nightcrawlers and stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by Steniljeh View Post
    Hi there!
    I got two 3 year old cranwellis last weekend. The last owner fed them only with rodents, so they are quite fat. Now I have problems with feeding. They won't take nightcrawlers and stuff. How long can it change to get them used to their new diet?

Thanks a lot!

If the frog is very fat just withold food for a few days and then try and offer the night crawlers when the frog is hungry. Also if you tong feed just rub the worm against the frog's lips. Most of the time they get annoyed and will bite at the worm.

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: How to change a diet from rodents only to nightcrawlers and stuff?

Also try rubbing the worms against their front feet, that usually triggers a pretty aggressive reaction out of my little guy

Steniljeh

Default AW: How to change a diet from rodents only to nightcrawlers and stuff?

Thanks Grif. I just moved them into Coco bedding. Already tried the annoy-thing. They seem to have still some bacon around their tummy to live from . So I will try it again in a few days.
    I was just alarmed a bit. All my other frogs a real killer machines.

Hoppity100

Default Re: AW: How to change a diet from rodents only to nightcrawlers and stuff?

They must be pretty big to eat rodents...what are they exactly? I could not feed rodents to anything, I used to own hamsters, mice, and rat. The rat was my favorite until he died from a massive infection and bit me by accident. Yep, a week of IV antibiotics fixed me up. Still miss him!

Steniljeh

Quote Originally Posted by Hoppity100 View Post
    They must be pretty big to eat rodents...what are they exactly? I could not feed rodents to anything, I used to own hamsters, mice, and rat. The rat was my favorite until he died from a massive infection and bit me by accident. Yep, a week of IV antibiotics fixed me up. Still miss him!
    I feel with you buddy. It always sucks to see a pet die.
    The female is pretty big.
    And my hand is not to small (nearly 6 food tall)

Attached Images Attached Images  

Hoppity100

Default Re: AW: How to change a diet from rodents only to nightcrawlers and stuff?

Can you tell me why they are in tiny plastic boxes? You don't house them like that, do you? Yep, they're big. Please say they live in an aquarium....

Steniljeh

I used those boxes for the 20 minute transportation. How could I know know about their fat bodies ^^

Hoppity100

Oh, used to transport. I can see their fat bodies. Weren't they that size when you got them? How big is your aquarium? And I wondered also how much of it is land and water both? My FB's have 60 water 40 land and I have 4 of them. They eat worms and crickets. They are chirping as I type this. They are probably sitting on the driftwood waiting for dinner, too. Did your frogs come from a pet store also like mine did?

Steniljeh

They still not taking any food.. tried several types of food. Maybe I should try mice? Any exp. guy having some tips?

I will never buy adult pacmans from a random guy from the Internet...

Thanks guys

Gesendet von meinem HTC One XL mit Tapatalk 2

Nationality
    [Canada]

those are pretty big i must say. i suggest you leave them alone, no transportation anywhere, 3 sides of the tank covered, ideal conditions ( temps/humidity), just change of water daily, nothing else for at least few days. they have to be pretty hungry to go for something they don't know, but there is also chance they'll never go for nightcrawler if they've never been fed on it, just keep offering different food items, be patient, they have tons of fat, will be fine for a while
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Hoppity100

How long have they gone without food? And you tried worms, crickets, etc? Conditions are right in aquarium? Do they have any more symptoms besides not eating?

Steniljeh

Conditions are perfect. They even have their own room, so no disturbing. Tried crickets, roaches, pacman food, nightcrawlers, raw meat. They are without food for nearly three weeks now. Next week I will consider specialized vet.
    I am really clueless at the moments, no other strange behavior.

But lucky me because of the tons of belly bacon they have.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Steniljeh View Post
    Conditions are perfect. They even have their own room, so no disturbing. Tried crickets, roaches, pacman food, nightcrawlers, raw meat. They are without food for nearly three weeks now. Next week I will consider specialized vet.
    I am really clueless at the moments, no other strange behavior.

But lucky me because of the tons of belly bacon they have.

Don't feed them raw meat. No good can come from it. Have they had a bowel movement yet?

Hoppity100

Oh my gosh! That is a long time to go without eating! I would think they'd be weak by now. Glad you tried all those bugs. Have you tried dangling them, too? I offered mine earthworms from Walmart but the worms were too long. I cut them into pieces but they did not wiggle long enough and ended up wasted. So, today I bought small crickets and they're in the tank. I had to open at least 5 containers of wax worms to find one good one. Mine have belly fat, too. I considered dangling a strand of cooked plain spagetti but don't know if its a good idea. I considered this when they refused the earthworms.

I'd still keep trying with yours. They are otherwise moving around ok? Has anything changed in their environment, like different substrate or plants or temp? Are they in a quiet part of your house? Was anything removed or added? I hope you find a vet on Monday. They need to eat. Write back with any updates if you can.

Nationality
    [United States]

Oh my gosh! That is a long time to go without eating! I would think they'd be weak by now. Glad you tried all those bugs. Have you tried dangling them, too? I offered mine earthworms from Walmart but the worms were too long. I cut them into pieces but they did not wiggle long enough and ended up wasted. So, today I bought small crickets and they're in the tank. I had to open at least 5 containers of wax worms to find one good one. Mine have belly fat, too. I considered dangling a strand of cooked plain spagetti but don't know if its a good idea. I considered this when they refused the earthworms.

I'd still keep trying with yours. They are otherwise moving around ok? Has anything changed in their environment, like different substrate or plants or temp? Are they in a quiet part of your house? Was anything removed or added? I hope you find a vet on Monday. They need to eat. Write back with any updates if you can.
    Frogs can go for long periods of time without eating if they have plenty of fat stored up. As long as theyre not losing weight they should be fine for a while. Their systems don't need as much food as ours do.

Hoppity100

In spite of that, I'm concerned about another week with not eating. Are you able to look for a vet Monday?

perfectlypierced

Maybe the frogs are getting used to their new homes and not wanting to eat right now? I'm scratching my head right now.

This is off species but I bought a ball python who was only used to eating live rodents and was successful in converting him to frozen/thawed. I allowed him to settle in a week and he ate no problem.

Hoppity100

When I brought my newest FB twins home I saw one was skinny. He was in shock seeing his new home..I don't think he ever saw a plant or driftwood before. He may have thought he was free because my tank is natural. He stared a long time (maybe he had a long ride on the truck getting here) and he came around and is ok like the other three. He gets extra worms offered. I think he has gained weight and thankfully is doing fine. They just got new crickets today and I wonder why the store never has crickets on sale but most everything else is. They are 10 cents each no matter what size.

Nationality
    [United States]

When I brought my newest FB twins home I saw one was skinny. He was in shock seeing his new home..I don't think he ever saw a plant or driftwood before. He may have thought he was free because my tank is natural. He stared a long time (maybe he had a long ride on the truck getting here) and he came around and is ok like the other three. He gets extra worms offered. I think he has gained weight and thankfully is doing fine. They just got new crickets today and I wonder why the store never has crickets on sale but most everything else is. They are 10 cents each no matter what size.
    Most stores that sell crickets have a set price. Some will have the smaller crickets a cent or two cheaper, but most of the time they all cost the same.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information