Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Need some help....Impaction

Pluke

Default Re: Need some help....Impaction

The first time I used a lukewarm soak, I didn't have the heat gun, I went took the heat test with my finger and guessed. I had no idea what the actual temp was, I just new it wasn't warmer than me and that's what I perceived as lukewarm, lol. When I got the heat gun, I did my normal way of heating up water then shot the water to find it was 85 degrees.

I also wanted to add that if I was here asking for advice on something, I would definitely take Grif's advice over mine. He's been caring for them a heck of a lot longer than I have, lol.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Update: I put her in 120 degree water and she crapped alot....I mean it looks like she crapped her guts out, literally......I pushed them back in with a pencil eraser, and I think she is fine. She's not moving at all and has her eyes closed. I think she's really relaxed....Thanks for all the great advice folks. I'm glad she'll be alright.
    Thanks
    DW

Pluke

Yeah... that's a little disturbing. No one said to put her in 120 degree water so I'm not sure if you're serious. If you did and thats what happened, hopefully she will be alright.

Nationality
    [United States]

I'm immune to sarcasm... That was sarcasm, right?

Nationality
    [United States]

ok, sorry. Couldn't help myself.....

Anyway, here's the real update (The sad thing is I've seen people post stuff almost as bad as that before).

I've got her soaking now. She is trying like the dickens to shake something loose, but no luck thus far. It seems like the hanger on is just inside the poopshoot. I have been pouring the water on her back and it seems to stimulate pushing. As soon as I put her in the bath she started pushing.

I used the temp gun and the water feels cold to the touch, but is 83 degrees F. I had to have had it way hotter earlier....my bad but she seems ok. Still wants to eat by the way. When I came in, she turned in her water dish towards me when the door opened. She does this when she is hungry usually.

Her water in her enclosure is 83 degrees as well. I will be moving it out from under the black light as she never gets into her water on her own in her cage. I'll see if that changes. I thought it intuitive that if she wanted to ****, she would go to the warm water basking spot. That's what my pyxies do, but thier water feature is large and the water is always cool (82 degrees...just found out..lol).

Tried the rubbing and massaging. Don't really know what someone meant when they said to push gently above the vent. Seems like thats her tailbone (some kind of bone). Her poopshoot is ever so slightly open. As I've been typing this I think the turd has moved toward the opening a little.

Stand by for further reports of expected fecal terrorism.
    Thanks
    DW

Pluke

Haha, alright. I knew deep down inside that you were screwing with us, I swear! It wouldn't surprise me though.. I've seen people say some strange things, even after advice given. I never heard of massaging the vent, I've heard of running water over it with a cup or some kind of baster.. lol, think of it as basting a turkey. I've massaged the lumps on the right side of the frog though, very gently. I had a frog that held in a turd for over three weeks and I needed her to go, this was just recently. I did what Grif said and rubbed her side gently while she soaked and when I put her in the non-honey she pushed out something bigger than a cat turd.

Nationality
    [United States]

It's more just nudging that area to get them to resist moving forward. It causes the same muscle movements they use when they poop. If she's already trying to go, there's probably no point in that. Sometimes Trevor just decides she's going to hang out in the bath and never do anything, and if I do that it's like she suddenly remembers she needs to go :P

Any idea what caused the impaction?

Nationality
    [Canada]

Ok, I know this is gross, and I may be sick in the head, but can you post a pic of the turd when she goes? I bet it is HUGE!

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by DVirginiana View Post

Any idea what caused the impaction?
    No Idea. I have had her about three weeks to a month I think. After the first time I got her to feed, I noticed the odd lopsidedness to her body and just figured it was because she just ate.

I have her on plain old eco earth and nothing in her cage except a water dish and an analog thermometer (I know they usually suck, but this one works good. I checked it with my digital probe).

If anything I've been feeding her too much. I don't think she ate roaches before I got her. I have been giving her at least one a day (she usually will eat two 1 inchers), as well as a night crawler. I use calcium and vitamin supplements (Miner-all, Repashy plus) every other feeding.

I just put her in the second bath w/o honey and she's not doing anything. I tried the push on her b-hole and you are 100% right. It's the exact same movement as when she's pushing. Good work and thanks!!!! She's not going to go though. She thinks I'm going to feed her. She is tracking me as I move around the room...lol. Probably ought to hold off though you guys think?

Thanks again for all the advice.
    Thanks
    DW

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine View Post
    Ok, I know this is gross, and I may be sick in the head, but can you post a pic of the turd when she goes? I bet it is HUGE!
    If it happens when I'm watching you better expect some close up, explicit, wide angle, narrow angle, inside shots, scratch and sniffs, video, 3D video, you name it type pictures!!!! haha. Ya, I am going to need to document this bad boy. Hopefully she just ****s it out and is ok though. I am real worried still about her. Shes a bad *** frog and has alot of character. I'm going to take her to the vet if she shows any signs of septisemia (probably spelled wrong) or unhealthyness. She is still a wiley little bugger. She seems really hungry, tries to bite me when I massage her, jumps away when I go to get her out etc.
    Thanks
    DW

Nationality
    [Canada]

L M A O!!! Scratch n sniff

Nationality
    [United States]

Alright, last update tonight. No poo yet. Her bulge on the right has gotten a little smaller. The lumps on the left have moved a little closer to the vent.
    Night folks.
    Thanks
    DW

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine View Post
    L M A O!!! Scratch n sniff

haha....yep
    Thanks
    DW

Nationality
    [Canada]

Go get some sleep and give me a poop update tomorrow

Nationality
    [United States]

If she's getting annoyed at you that's a good sign. Especially in a fairly sedentary animal like a Pac.

After she goes, try feeding just nightcrawlers for a little while. They digest better than any other prey, and are good for frogs prone to impaction. Do you tong-feed? When mine was still hunting her own roaches, she would end up missing and eating a LOT of cocofiber. It ended up with her being very impacted. Check the poo and see what the cocofiber-to-roach ratio looks like. That might be your problem.

It might be good to continue doing unmedicated soaks daily for a little while after she passes the impaction. If it has gotten to a point that they are starting to go septic from the backup, this will keep them urinating and passing the toxins. Watch for bloating as that's a sign of toxins building up in the system.

Nationality
    [United States]

Alright, just got home from work and Rhino seems a little more symmetrical today. I'm gonna get a warm bath ready and search through her substrate while she's soaking to see if she did the deed.

She didn't stay in the water since I moved it out from under the light.

She does tong feed. She eats earth worms in her water dish.
    Thanks
    DW

Nationality
    [United States]

Ta Dahhh!!
    Thanks people! She laid this egg last night after I put her back in her dish.

Thanks again.
    Thanks
    DW

Nationality
    [United States]

Congratulation!!! You have a frog turd. I'd pass cigars around, but something tells me that this occation doesn't call for that kind of celebration .

Nationality
    [Canada]

Woohoo! That's a good one!

Pluke

Quote Originally Posted by DeeDub View Post
    Ta Dahhh!!
    Thanks people! She laid this egg last night after I put her back in her dish.
    So are you going to try and hatch it or what?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information