Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Am I feeding him enough? Is it a him?

Stumpy

Default Am I feeding him enough? Is it a him?

Name:  Frog 154.jpg
Views: 343
Size:  110.1 KB
    Name:  Frog 130.jpg
Views: 331
Size:  117.2 KB
    Name:  Frog 136.jpg
Views: 330
Size:  126.4 KB

Name:  Frog 145.jpg
Views: 358
Size:  132.9 KB

One of my pics will not uploed oh well.

Anyway that is my frog he was born July 1st (roughly) , I inspected around 20+ froglets and picked the biggest one, with the biggest head. Do yall think he is to small for his age? I thought after 4 months he was suposed to be bigger? I hear they stop eating once full ,but mine has eaten 20 crickets and still wanted more! I give him about 4 earth worms when I feed him earth worms ,should I be giving him more? Maybe I am feeding him enough ,and this is the normal growth rate!?!? I am so confused!

Another thing what gender might he be ,or is he to younge to tell? Also there are some white spots under the first layer of substrate that really look like mold even though the moss is pretty new? Any tips to prevent the mold looking stuff?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Am I feeding him enough? Is it a him?

Quote Originally Posted by Stumpy View Post
    Name:  Frog 154.jpg
Views: 343
Size:  110.1 KB
    Name:  Frog 130.jpg
Views: 331
Size:  117.2 KB
    Name:  Frog 136.jpg
Views: 330
Size:  126.4 KB

Name:  Frog 145.jpg
Views: 358
Size:  132.9 KB

One of my pics will not uploed oh well.

Anyway that is my frog he was born July 1st (roughly) , I inspected around 20+ froglets and picked the biggest one, with the biggest head. Do yall think he is to small for his age? I thought after 4 months he was suposed to be bigger? I hear they stop eating once full ,but mine has eaten 20 crickets and still wanted more! I give him about 4 earth worms when I feed him earth worms ,should I be giving him more? Maybe I am feeding him enough ,and this is the normal growth rate!?!? I am so confused!

Another thing what gender might he be ,or is he to younge to tell? Also there are some white spots under the first layer of substrate that really look like mold even though the moss is pretty new? Any tips to prevent the mold looking stuff?
    Your frog should have grown larger by now. Are you using a multivitamin powder and calcium powder with D3 to dust his/her food?

The frog is too young to sex at this point.

Get rid of the moss and Use Eco Earth Coconut Fiber substrate.

Stumpy

I had him in coconut fiber before ,but I wanted to try the moss since it looked better. He gets "flukers calcium with D3" thats the only stuff I ever put on his food though.Right now he is 3 1/2 inches long ,how big should he actully be?

ejh805

He looks like he should be fatter.

Stumpy

Quote Originally Posted by ejh805 View Post
    He looks like he should be fatter.
    Ye thats what I was thinking! How many 4 inch earth worms should I feed him?

Edit: Just went ,and gave him 7 on top of the few he ate earler. He did not want anymore after the 7th one

Nationality
    [Canada]

Ye thats what I was thinking! How many 4 inch earth worms should I feed him?
    as much as it can eat in 15 min/every day, they grow at different rates, I wouldn't worry too much about size if it has appetite and you dusting his food alternating Ca and multivitamins

get rid of moss asap unless you want to risk impaction, it might look better to you, but for a frog health eco earth is better.

as for sex- definitely too early to tel, but I'd say possible male based on head/body ratio, but that might change with age.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

FLUXCORE

Your frog is 4+ months old? It seems very small for that age but looks really young. I'd start upping the amount you feed it. The head in relation to the body is good but it needs to grow more to recognize the sex. My pixie is younger then yours and seems a lot bigger.

Stumpy

Quote Originally Posted by Lija View Post
    as much as it can eat in 15 min/every day, they grow at different rates, I wouldn't worry too much about size if it has appetite and you dusting his food alternating Ca and multivitamins

get rid of moss asap unless you want to risk impaction, it might look better to you, but for a frog health eco earth is better.

as for sex- definitely too early to tel, but I'd say possible male based on head/body ratio, but that might change with age.
    I read that coconut fiber, moss, and sand were all fairly safe for most frogs (sand of course is not very good for a african bull frog though). I will switch back to the coconut fiber though since y'all know best. I doubt he has eaten very much moss though since I feed him in his bowl normally,and I allways use forceps to begin with. Better safe than sorry though.

Nationality
    [United States]

I read that coconut fiber, moss, and sand were all fairly safe for most frogs (sand of course is not very good for a african bull frog though). I will switch back to the coconut fiber though since y'all know best. I doubt he has eaten very much moss though since I feed him in his bowl normally,and I allways use forceps to begin with. Better safe than sorry though.
    Coconut Fiber doesn't mold like the moss does and is less of an impaction risk. Sand is a no go for frogs. It can damage their eyes and get between the corners of their jaws and cause a grinding affect that can and will cause an infection. Use the 15 minute rule mentioned above and use a multivitamin like Herotivite once a week.
    Last edited by GrifTheGreat; November 10th, 2012 at 09:29 PM.

FLUXCORE

I started out with moss to, liked it better but changed over to coco fibre after reading around on this site. The first day I put him into coco he jumped into his water dish and started eating the floating pieces :0 kinda wonder if he was doing that with the moss. Anyways he is fine and grew out of that habit thankfully

Stumpy

Quote Originally Posted by FLUXCORE View Post
    Your frog is 4+ months old? It seems very small for that age but looks really young. I'd start upping the amount you feed it. The head in relation to the body is good but it needs to grow more to recognize the sex. My pixie is younger then yours and seems a lot bigger.
    He was born in july ,and purchased by me on july 15th. I have measured him ,and he is over 3 inches. Here are some more pics.
    Name:  Frog 179.jpg
Views: 311
Size:  116.2 KB

Name:  Frog 174.jpg
Views: 284
Size:  116.2 KB
    Name:  Frog 175.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  95.7 KB

FLUXCORE

It looks a lot like mine from the top, I just put a tape on mine stretched out in his water dish (10" plant pot dish) and its a hair over 5" from the tip of the head to its butt. I've used flukers too, once/twice a week with a 12 hr light cycle using a 75w neodymium UVA basking bulb. I have never used a multivitamin but might pick some up tomorrow. It's most likely going to hit a growth spurt soon.

http://i915.photobucket.com/albums/a...UXPOOR/018.jpg

Hoppity100

Oh boy...my frog is too skinny. I have 4 and one is too skinny. I always offer him several worms.

Stumpy

Quote Originally Posted by Hoppity100 View Post
    Oh boy...my frog is too skinny. I have 4 and one is too skinny. I always offer him several worms.
    Four! You plan on breeding ,or somthing?

Hoppity100

Heavens no, they need friends.

Nationality
    [United States]

Hop
    I got 4 as well in June (higher chance of getting a male), and ended up with 1.3. Stumpy, your frog looks pretty young, and is def small to be 4 months. Mine are about about 6 mo and the male is about 6 inches. Ive not measured him yet, just estimating.

See how your frog still has alot of mottling and a real dark dorsal stripe? Thats why I say it looks real young. Size isnt the only thing to look at here though. P. vasjoli documented a tiny little male (3 inches?) that was like 6 yrs old. Could just be a little feller.

Hoppity100

Oh, what do you mean by 1.3? Do you also have FB's? I will check mottling and dorsal stripe except mine all look alike and I can't say that 1 even has a different pattern. I just got mine 2 months ago and they are all about 2". You must be talking about a different kind of frog maybe. Write back if you think of any more tips, thanks!

ejh805

Hoppity,

People on this thread are discussing about Giant African Bullfrogs. I'm pretty sure that is what DeeDub is referring to, not Firebellies.

Hoppity100

I thought so, too. But frogs and toads have things in common. Thanks

Stumpy

Hmm I started feeding him until he is full. He eats way more than I ever would have imagined! I might go bankrupt at this rate.

Hop can you put some pictures of yours up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information