Thread: Time for an upgrade?...already?

ikissedafrog

Default Time for an upgrade?...already?

I just wanted to share this picture of my growing little frog, Klaatu, and get some input on whether or not it's too early to move him up to a larger home. The top picture is the day he arrived here with me, October 25th, and the bottom was taken today.

Name:  Untitled.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  163.6 KB

That's a 2.5 gallon tank that he's in, the next step up I have for him is a 10 gallon. Would he 'get lost' and become nervous in there or do you feel he would enjoy the extra space? He's starting to trample those lovely little ferns in there, which is why I've started to think about moving him already even though it seems so soon!

Name:  007.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  112.5 KB

That picture I just thought was cute, lol!

PS...how large does 'he' need to be before we can tell if it is a male or female?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Time for an upgrade?...already?

It is difficult to tell when they are a juvenile. The stripe down the back will fade away as the frog sexually matures. Males will be larger and have distinct orange-yellow patches under the forelegs.
    Terry Gampper
    Nebraska Herpetological Society

“If we can discover the meaning in the trilling of a frog, perhaps we may understand why it is for us not merely noise but a song of poetry and emotion.”
    ---
    Adrian Forsyth

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

How large is your frog SVL?

Stumpy

I got mine at quarter size ,and started him of in a 10 gallon. I do not think he would get nervous or lost in a 100 gallon much less a 10. Your frog is still going to trample those ferns unless you pot them ,you can bury the pot so only a little bit of the pot is showing. You actuly won't even be able to tell they are potted.

Your incredibly nice by the way! Giving him all those plants ,and even worrying about him getting nervous ! I bet you also sing to your flowers ,and have multiple bird feeders in your yard. How wonderful!!!

ikissedafrog

Quote Originally Posted by Stumpy View Post
    I got mine at quarter size ,and started him of in a 10 gallon. I do not think he would get nervous or lost in a 100 gallon much less a 10. Your frog is still going to trample those ferns unless you pot them ,you can bury the pot so only a little bit of the pot is showing. You actuly won't even be able to tell they are potted.
    Thanks Stumpy, I do think I will get him moved over to bigger quarters here in the next couple of days. And the ferns are indeed potted, you can just see the edge of the pot in the lower right corner in the bottom side by side pic...it was buried, lol, until Klaatu decided to 'snuggle up' underneath it.

How large is your frog SVL?
    Grif, I'm not entirely sure, I haven't actually measured him. He came in appx. quarter sized, perhaps tomorrow when I pull him out to feed I'll make an attempt to get a size on him. Just by looking at him though, I can definitely tell he's been a-growin'!

It is difficult to tell when they are a juvenile. The stripe down the back will fade away as the frog sexually matures. Males will be larger and have distinct orange-yellow patches under the forelegs.
    Sigh, I will try to be patient.

Stumpy

I am pretty sure it is better to feed him in the cage he lives in. They do not like being disturbed after all.

ikissedafrog

Quote Originally Posted by Stumpy View Post
    I am pretty sure it is better to feed him in the cage he lives in. They do not like being disturbed after all.
    I pull him out when he is fed roaches (lateralis), they are so damn fast and active it is a lot easier to have them contained in a smaller, bare container. It doesn't appear to be stressing him, believe me, I watch, lol...in fact, I would go as far as to say that he recognizes the container as a 'food is here' place, and begins to hunt immediately. He does get grubs and worms in his enclosure in a dish, as well. I'm gentle with him when I remove him from his enclosure, I think perhaps that helps rather than just reaching in and grabbing him.

He has gotten an upgrade...moved into a 20 gal for now, though I'm already working on plans for a larger home when he's ready...I'm excited with new ideas, lol. Here's his new home...

Name:  002.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  82.1 KB

Trying an experiment with that 2.5 gal aquarium as his pool...we'll see if it works out, figured it would be just as easy to siphon up waste products as it is to dump a bowl, plus there's a filter in there now....even a few cabomba plants and guppies, if he eats them, great, if not they'll add a little 'life' in there, lol.

Name:  012.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  101.1 KB

Thread Information