Thread: Humidity lvls too low but leaving substrait more and more soaked

danhm87

Default Humidity lvls too low but leaving substrait more and more soaked

Hey guy was wondering if you could help me out with a problem i have been having. . .

I have a cool mist humidifier and a pushpin analog timer outlet that sets it on in 15 min incraments

what i have found is that it i set it to go off for 15 mins every hour or hour and a 15 it will keep the hum lvls perfect but i am noticing a buildup of water in the substrait. So i talored off the humidifier to only go off every two hours and nao the hum lvlv will get as low as 60 pretty quickly. If the soil is sopping wet will he still be able to breath just fine at those humidity lvlvs? Or should i just let the soil get soaked and keep the hum lvls high?

I know the best solution would be to get a digital timer with like a hundred settings so i can make it run more times but for less durration, but i havnt found one with more that 15 setting which is a step back. Also the hydrotherm is too expensive right now. .

Thanks for your help guys and gals

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

HerpDerp

Default Re: Humidity lvls too low but leaving substrait more and more soaked

Keeping the substrate soaked like that can allow mold to grow pretty easily. It should be moist, not dripping wet. It would be preferable to have the mister go off more often but in shorter intervals. Since you can't do that I suggest you cover part of the top with plastic wrap to hold in some of that moisture so the humidity doesn't drop too much between misting. I've always just misted myself with a spray bottle, which seems to work alright, but I'm also home for most of the day and not everyone can glue themselves to their frog's enclosures

Adam R

you may have too much ventilation. also where are you measuring your humidity from? i also think you are misting too frequently. i would maybe keep the 15 sec intervals but cut back to misting 3 times a day. morn, noon, evening

danhm87

Quote Originally Posted by Adam R View Post
    you may have too much ventilation. also where are you measuring your humidity from? i also think you are misting too frequently. i would maybe keep the 15 sec intervals but cut back to misting 3 times a day. morn, noon, evening

First off thanks for the quick feedback

the problem is i do have 2/3 of my terra covered with saran wrap but it is so dry right now in TN. The timer only have 15 min incraments. Using a simple hydrometer from petco. Will get a digital today. Easy to swipe from walmart :P

so you recomend me to only put the humidifier on for 3 times a day for 15 mins each?

I know the soil may stay damp but the air in the upp regions of the tank might get like 55-70 . Is this ok? As long as a pacmqn has damp soil does the ambient air matter at all?

Once again thank you so much for your input

i know this "seems" like it would be a construction question. but i think you may want to address this one over on the pacman section so guys like Grif and Mike and a few others may be able to help you out a bit better. not that adam and michelle didn't, but those guys are who i would ask about a pacman question, hands down.
    1.0.0 Oophaga Pumilio 'Black Jeans'
    0.0.10 Phyllobates Vittatus
    0.0.3 Phyllobates Terribilis 'Mint'
    0.0.3 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Patricia'
    0.0.5 Dendrobates Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Powder Blue'
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya Variabilis 'southern'
    0.0.3 Epipedobates Anthonyi 'zarayunga'
    1.2.0 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus'
    0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    1.0.0 Tabby/Maine Coon Mix
    2.1.0 Genetics Experiments
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

danhm87

Quote Originally Posted by deranged chipmunk View Post
    i know this "seems" like it would be a construction question. but i think you may want to address this one over on the pacman section so guys like Grif and Mike and a few others may be able to help you out a bit better. not that adam and michelle didn't, but those guys are who i would ask about a pacman question, hands down.
    Thankx man, I ended up Swiping a Hygrotherm from Petsmart.. ahha yay for their terrible security... now all my probs are solved

ejh805

Quote Originally Posted by danhm87 View Post
    Thankx man, I ended up Swiping a Hygrotherm from Petsmart.. ahha yay for their terrible security... now all my probs are solved
    No offense intended, but why are you bragging about stealing something?

9. This member thanks ejh805 for this post:

danhm87

Quote Originally Posted by ejh805 View Post
    No offense intended, but why are you bragging about stealing something?
    I didnt steal it... twas a joke

Adam R

so your problems solved? you were just getting a bad humidity reading?

danhm87

Quote Originally Posted by Adam R View Post
    so your problems solved? you were just getting a bad humidity reading?

Yea the cheap humidifier was off and 80% Hum read 60% :|

Not a surprise. Analog hygrometers are garbage. And i have tried some mucho peso units for high end humidors. Give my digital or give me death!! Lol
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Yea the cheap humidifier was off and 80% Hum read 60% :|
    I use the Hygrotherm. I have 3 of them. They usually are only off by about 1% and 1°. You can also set it up to where you have a tolerance level in the humidity and temp. This can allow for a certain level that you will allow the temp and humidity to drop to before the Hygrotherm turns on your fogger or turns on and off heating units.

Its a great product.

those hygrotherm units are awesome. i have used similar controllers in planted shrimp tanks for controlling CO2. just for the piece of mind they offer, you can't beat them.
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

danhm87

Quote Originally Posted by deranged chipmunk View Post
    Not a surprise. Analog hygrometers are garbage. And i have tried some mucho peso units for high end humidors. Give my digital or give me death!! Lol
    Haha i know that feel bro XD

@ Griff do you think i can house another pacman in the same tank if i partition it? I think i have pacman fever. Lastly, what are your thoughts on dubia roaches for pacmans?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Haha i know that feel bro XD

@ Griff do you think i can house another pacman in the same tank if i partition it? I think i have pacman fever. Lastly, what are your thoughts on dubia roaches for pacmans?
    I have a small Dubia colony, but my frogs dont like them a whole lot. So they're an occatitional feeder.Overall they are a good feeder up there with earthworms.

You can divide a large tank with a piece of plexiglass or actual glass securly siliconed into place. It must be completely sealed so neither frog can possibly get to one another. Also you will need to make it where they cannot see each other for safety reasons.

danhm87

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    I have a small Dubia colony, but my frogs dont like them a whole lot. So they're an occatitional feeder.Overall they are a good feeder up there with earthworms.

You can divide a large tank with a piece of plexiglass or actual glass securly siliconed into place. It must be completely sealed so neither frog can possibly get to one another. Also you will need to make it where they cannot see each other for safety reasons.

Thanks man. . . I will pass on the roaches and go for the nightcrawlers and crickets then

Adam R

the digital's are defiantly the way to go. most of them also have a tolerance rating on the package/back as well. mine is to a half a degree Celsius

Thread Information