Thread: green tree frog not eating?

staggasuss

Exclamation green tree frog not eating?

hey there i'm new to the forum and have turned here in need of help.
    I recently adopted two australian green tree frogs from a breeder.
    During the first night one, one decided to cram its self behind the foam background in the terrarium and became trapped for around 8 hours (i was sleeping)
    I checked on them first thing to find one missing and after much stress and panic, I turned the tank around to check behind the backing. (which was the last place i assumes it to be since it was such a tight gap) and there he was. He seemed dry so I put him in the tank pond. Since that day, two days ago, he has not eaten anything I have given them but the other frog has. I assumed it was stress but the other one is perfectly fine and showing signs of thriving in the tank.
    The one that is not eating has even has crickets walk on him and I have attempted to contain a cricket just for him as the other frog was starting to look like a turtle. He's just stayed in the same spot except for a short wander around the tank earlier today. I worry he will starve as I am sure forcing him to eat will be more harm than good.
    Any ideas ?
    Thanks in advance

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: green tree frog not eating?

hey there i'm new to the forum and have turned here in need of help. Welcome to Frog Forum

I do not keep green tree frogs , but I will try to help ; making sure some basics are covered..
    I recently adopted two australian green tree frogs from a breeder.
    During the first night one, one decided to cram its self behind the foam background in the terrarium and became trapped for around 8 hours (i was sleeping)

I would suggest removing the background if possible. Cove three sides of the tank ( on the outside with a dark paper ie paper bag) This will help
    the frogs feel more secure.

I checked on them first thing to find one missing and after much stress and panic, I turned the tank around to check behind the backing. (which was the last place i assumes it to be since it was such a tight gap) and there he was. He seemed dry so I put him in the tank pond. Since that day, two days ago, he has not eaten anything I have given them but the other frog has. I assumed it was stress but the other one is perfectly fine and showing signs of thriving in the tank.

How deep is this water? Water for soaking should not be higher than the frog's chin Also, remember to use de-chlorinated water or spring water.

The one that is not eating has even has crickets walk on him and I have attempted to contain a cricket just for him as the other frog was starting to look like a turtle. He's just stayed in the same spot except for a short wander around the tank earlier today. I worry he will starve as I am sure forcing him to eat will be more harm than good.

Do they have plant cover, proper temps and humidity?
    Is is best to provide a day/night cycle and keep the enclosure in a very quite place. Avoid handling the frog unless absolutely necessary.

please post a photo of the enclosure if possible
    cut , copy , paste , and answer these questions

1-size of enclosure
    2-# on inhabitants - specifically ( if there is another frog ---size differences ?)
    3-humidity
    4-temp
    5-water - type - for both misting and soaking dish
    6-materials used for substrate
    7-enclosure set up i.e. plants( live or artificial) wood, bark etc -how were things prepared prior to being put into the viv
    8-main food source
    9-vitamins and calcium ? ( how often )
    10-lighting
    11-what is, specifically, being used to maintain the temperature of the enclosure
    12-when is the last time he ate
    13-have you found poop lately
    14-a pic would be great ( including the frog ) any little cell phone pic is fine
    15- how old is the frog
    16-how long have you owned him
    17- is the frog wild caught or captive bred
    18- frog food- how often and if its diverse what other feeders are used as treats
    19- about how often the frog is handled
    20-is the enclosure is kept in a high or low traffic area
    21- describe enclosure maintenance ( water changes, cleaning etc)

(http://www.frogforum.net/tree-frogs/...enclosure.html)
    we will try to help further... but need more details

* especially, how long have you had them ??

Lynn
    Current Collection
    Dendrobates leucomelas - standard morph
    Dendrobates auratus “Costa Rican Green Black"
    Dendrobates auratus "Pena Blanca"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “New River”
    Dendrobates tinctorius "Green Sipaliwini"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “Powder Blue"
    Dendrobates tinctorius "French Guiana Dwarf Cobalt"

Phyllobates terribilis “Mint”
    Phyllobates terribilis "Orange"
    Phyllobates bicolor "Uraba"

Oophaga pumilio "Black Jeans"
    Oophaga pumilio "Isla Popa"
    Oophaga pumilio "Bastimentos"
    Oophaga pumilio “Mimbitimbi”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Colubre"
    Oophaga pumilio "Red Frog Beach”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Branco"
    Oophaga pumilio “Valle del Rey”
    Oophaga pumilio "BriBri"
    Oophaga pumilio "El Dorado"
    Oophaga pumilio "Cristobal"
    Oophaga pumilio "Rambala"

Oophaga “Vicentei” (blue)

Oophaga sylvatica "Paru"
    Oophaga sylvatica "Pata Blanca"
    Oophaga histrionica “Redhead”
    Oophaga histrionica "Blue"
    Oophaga lehmanni "Red"
    Oophaga histrionica "Tado"

Ranitomeya variabilis "Southern"
    Ranitomeya imitator "Varadero"
    Ranitomeya sirensis "Lower Ucayali"
    Ranitomeya vanzolinii

http://www.fernsfrogs.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ferns.frogs

staggasuss

1-H=2f L=1.5f w=1.5f
    2- 2 Australian green tree frogs, same size. age 7 months proximally
    3- n/a no hydrometer present as yet
    4-28c (82.4f)
    5-fresh dechlorinated
    6-n/a. fake grass as per suggested by seller (pet shop)
    7-fake grass/astro turf, imitation vines, imitation stone water bowl (all purchased from same store as frogs)
    8-crickets as per suggested dusted with calcium powder
    9-as per above. feeding approximately 6 mid sized crickets every second day.
    10-uv light as recommended by seller
    11-heat coil with thermostat
    12-one four days ago (5th of nov)
    13-yes but unsure which frog it came from
    14-will try upload
    15-7 months approximately
    16-just over a week
    17-captive bred
    18-just crickets
    19-never
    20-low traffic area
    21-no clean out has been needed as yet. water has been changed twice but only filled with dechlorinated water.

staggasuss

Name:  image-1.jpg
Views: 2607
Size:  63.5 KBName:  image-2.jpg
Views: 2668
Size:  69.0 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 2856
Size:  71.4 KB

NOTE: inside backing has since been removed because of the frog being stuck.

staggasuss

the darker colour one is the one with the issue. and the photo is from when i first got them

HerpDerp

Different frogs have different personalities. My first WTF was a little shy when I first got him but calmed down quickly. My second one that I just got recently took over a week to calm down but he's still rather shy. He still ate right off though. I'm assuming it's because he's young and needs a lot of food to grow. Since he's in a quarantine tank I was able to cover all 4 sides of the tank for a week so he could setting in and get used to the sounds. You might want to to something like that for a week or so. I don't think you need to remove the background, just make sure you cover the little gaps in the back so he can't climb down in.

Three musts for your set up:
    1. Get a hydrometer. If the humidity is too high or too low the frogs will stress and may not eat. I like to keep mine around 60% during the day and it jumps to 80% sometimes at night.
    2. The water in the dish has to be changed daily. Even if it doesn't look dirty, it is. When I change my frog's water dishes there's a slime coating on the plastic even if the water looks spotless.
    3. Get some big bushy fake plants, such as ones that suction cup to the sides. They give the frogs somewhere to hide during the day. Both of mine like to sleep in the corners behind their fake plants. Although Glurmo sometimes sleeps out in the open.

I hope this helps. I wouldn't worry too much just yet. Oh and one more thing, I really like the fake grass on the log. It looks like a mossy log. Is it easy for them to climb on?

staggasuss

thanks for that, ill do all three now.
    the mossy log is a capped 40mm pipe, the heat coil is wrapped around that with the astro turf on top, held in place with white cable ties and fake vine covering the ties. so not only does it heat the tank diagonally it acts as a ramp. and yes they enjoy climbing on it.... i think lol.

HerpDerp

I might just steal your log idea! That's great! I've been trying to think of a cheap way to create more climbing area since there seems to be a lot of unused space. This is perfect for what I want!

Be sure to keep us updated on your frogs too! They're adorable

Thread Information