Thread: Esme won't Eat and it's Cold!

WalkerBait

Unhappy Esme won't Eat and it's Cold!

Okay, Esme has eaten about three weeks ago.. She ate two worms within a week. Before that, she went almost three weeks without eating. Before those three weeks, she was eating steadily about two worms every two-three days!
    She has proper humidity, but it's Northern BC and we've had a huge cold snap here (-15!C !) for a couple weeks.
    I have my oil filled radiator heater RIGHT by her terrarium for heat, plus her red lamp on during the day, which I turn off at night.
    She wants to bury, and she has been buried. When she's not, I try to feed her, but she won't take to the worms. I try for a couple minutes, while talking to her, and then I desist and try again the next day or two when she's looking semi alert or not buried.
    I thought for sure she was dead tonight, I even had to poke her (lightly of course!) and was freaking out to BF about how she's slowing down and possibly dying! I'm sorry if this sounds melodramatic, but I have put so much time and effort into learning about frogs, I don't want to lose Esme over something as stupid as my own ignorance! How do I force feed her if she needs to be force fed? Her temps are around 70 during the night and 80 during the day, with the heat. I am a vegan so I don't have any honey for a honey bath, but I do have agave nectar. Should I get some honey and soak her? I want her to eat so she doesn't die. I'm just really worried, and any advice would be appreciated at this point! I mist her tank daily or more to keep the humidity up but i'm not sure if that's even good considering it's lukewarm water and i don't want her to be getting even colder from the water mistings.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

DesertHeat

Copy, paste, and fill out the template from the trouble in the enclosure thread. That way we have as much info as possible to help you

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Esme won't Eat and it's Cold!

Relax, frog is not going to die from hunger due to Winter slowdown. Just take care of the enclosure and let frog be. Please answer the below questions to make sure all is OK. When you state worms; what kind do you mean? Thank you !

“Trouble in the Frog Enclosure”

The following information will be very helpful if provided when requesting assistance with either your frog or enclosure. To help with your questions, please utilize the below list and post the information in the proper forum area to get advice from FF members that keep the same frog. This will allow for little confusion and a faster more informed response.

1. Size of enclosure
    2. # of inhabitants - specifically other frogs and size differences
    3. Humidity
    4. Temperature
    5. Water - type - for both misting and soaking dish
    6. Materials used for substrate
    7. Enclosure set up i.e. plants (live or artificial), wood, bark and other materials.
    - How were things prepared prior to being put into the viv.
    8. Main food source
    9. Vitamins and calcium? (how often)
    10. Lighting
    11. What is being used to maintain the temperature of the enclosure
    12. When is the last time he/she ate
    13. Have you found poop lately
    14. A pic would be helpful including frog and enclosure (any including cell phone pic is fine)
    15. How old is the frog
    16. How long have you owned him/her
    17. Is the frog wild caught or captive bred
    18. Frog food- how often and if it is diverse, what other feeders are used as treats
    19. How often the frog is handled
    20. Is the enclosure kept in a high or low traffic area
    21. Describe enclosure maintenance (water changes, cleaning, etc)

by Lynn(Flybyferns) and GrifTheGreat.
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

WalkerBait

Quote Originally Posted by Mentat View Post
    Relax, frog is not going to die from hunger due to Winter slowdown. Just take care of the enclosure and let frog be. Please answer the below questions to make sure all is OK. When you state worms; what kind do you mean? Thank you !
    Dew Worms.. Nightcrawlers.

“Trouble in the Frog Enclosure”

The following information will be very helpful if provided when requesting assistance with either your frog or enclosure. To help with your questions, please utilize the below list and post the information in the proper forum area to get advice from FF members that keep the same frog. This will allow for little confusion and a faster more informed response.

1. Size of enclosuew 10 gallon tank
    2. # of inhabitants - specifically other frogs and size differences pacman frog
    3. Humidity 50 - 80 % daily I mist twice daily
    4. Temperature70-80
    5. Water - type - for both misting and soaking dish dechlorinated
    6. Materials used for substrateeathe type that is ideal, forget the name, the one everyone recommends on here
    7. Enclosure set up i.e. plants (live or artificial), wood, bark and other materials.water dish, nothing else
    8. Main food sourcEarthworms
    14. A pic would be helpful including frog and enclosure (any including cell phone pic is fine)
    15. How old is the frog 1.5 year or so
    16. How long have you owned him/her3 month
    17. Is the frog wild caught or captive bred captive
    18. Frog food- how often and if it is diverse, what other feeders are used as treatsonly earthworms
    19. How often the frog is handlednever
    20. Is the enclosure kept in a high or low traffic arellow traffic except for me!
    21. Describe enclosure maintenance (water changes, cleaning, et water change every couple days, she doesn't go in it too often.

by Lynn(Flybyferns) and GrifTheGreat.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by WalkerBait View Post

1. Size of enclosuew 10 gallon tank
    2. # of inhabitants - specifically other frogs and size differences pacman frog
    3. Humidity 50 - 80 % daily I mist twice daily
    4. Temperature70-80
    5. Water - type - for both misting and soaking dish dechlorinated
    6. Materials used for substrateeathe type that is ideal, forget the name, the one everyone recommends on here
    7. Enclosure set up i.e. plants (live or artificial), wood, bark and other materials.water dish, nothing else
    8. Main food sourcEarthworms
    15. How old is the frog 1.5 year or so
    16. How long have you owned him/her3 month
    17. Is the frog wild caught or captive bred captive
    18. Frog food- how often and if it is diverse, what other feeders are used as treatsonly earthworms
    19. How often the frog is handlednever
    20. Is the enclosure kept in a high or low traffic arellow traffic except for me!
    21. Describe enclosure maintenance (water changes, cleaning, et water change every couple days, she doesn't go in it too often.
    Hello! OK, need to change water daily even if it looks unused. Recommend add one or two silk plants and a hide to help frog feel safe. Also, cover all the tank sides but front. Substrate should be mixed with treated water until slightly damp and clump in closed fist but not drip water out. What light bulb are you using to heat tank? Is screen top partially covered with aluminum foil to help retain heat and humidity?

IRT food, what supplements and on what schedule? Have you had a Herp Veterinary conduct a fecal test recently?
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

WalkerBait

Hi, the tank is covered all sides except front.. and yes I have mixed substrate with treated water until it's damp and clumping. I am using the red heat lamp, nothing else because she is albino. I turn it off at night. Half the top is covered with aluminum foil.
    I am 99% sure there are no frog vets in this area at all.
    I've only seen one poop since I got her about 3 months ago!
    I was feeding her one worm every couple days, and she would usually eat two at a time. It slowly tapered off to one a week and now she just wants to be buried most of the time.

Nationality
    [United States]

Hi, the tank is covered all sides except front.. and yes I have mixed substrate with treated water until it's damp and clumping. I am using the red heat lamp, nothing else because she is albino. I turn it off at night. Half the top is covered with aluminum foil.
    I am 99% sure there are no frog vets in this area at all.
    I've only seen one poop since I got her about 3 months ago!
    I was feeding her one worm every couple days, and she would usually eat two at a time. It slowly tapered off to one a week and now she just wants to be buried most of the time.
    Leave the red light on 24/7 or buy a appropriately sized UTH and place it on the side of the tank. If temp changes to drastically between day and night in the enclosure the frog will become ill.

WalkerBait

I was originally leaving it on 24/7 for that reason alone, but I thought it would disturb her sleeping cycle! Thanks I will do that!

Nationality
    [United States]

I was originally leaving it on 24/7 for that reason alone, but I thought it would disturb her sleeping cycle! Thanks I will do that!
    Like us they cannot see that part of the light spectrum. Infrared does not disturb their cycle.

Thread Information