Thread: newbie has set of random questions

imetazoa

Default newbie has set of random questions

Hi all,

This is my second time owning a pacman frog. Unfortunately, the first time (two years ago) did not go so well and I want to make sure I do everything right this time around. Morbo is older than my first pacman. He was living in PetSmart for over 6 months. He is old enough to croak and is probably around 3 inches wide (and is NOT albino). I got him around two weeks ago and left him alone. This weekend, I decided to change his substrate and add more reasonable coverage with fake plants (vs. the half-log which he could not fit under). Needless to say, he got stressed the f' out and disappeared under the substrate.

Here are my questions:

- Can these frogs breath if they completely bury themselves under the substrate? I cant see him at all.
    - I have a layer of hydroballs under the 3-4" of coconut fiber and he buried himself all the way down into the hydroballs. Is that a concern? I ordered a mesh divider to place between the layers but it hasn't arrived yet.
    - I'm struggling with the lighting. I currently have a 40w red-colored zoomed blub that I have been using during the day (in his 12x12x12 cage). Is it ok to use this during the day even though its for "night viewing"? I wanted to get live plants but the reptiglo 5.0 seemed incredibly bright, even for me!
    - I'd like to feed him a baby mouse on Thanksgiving. Are you supposed to kill the mouse first? Or can they eat them live?

Thanks in advance

(Please excuse the dirty water, I changed it after I took this picture!)

Name:  Morbo02.jpg
Views: 250
Size:  109.3 KBName:  Morbo01.jpg
Views: 239
Size:  90.4 KB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Maharg

Default Re: newbie has set of random questions

Breathing under ground is not a concern. Ive never heard of a hydroball but im sure its not a concern either. The light should be fine, even left on 24/7 as long as temp is right. The mice can be live, or frozen thawed if you wiggle the tail or tong feed. They do not recognize non living prey. Feed it a pinkie or a fuzzy.

Nationality
    [United States]

What are the hydroballs? Can you describe what they do? I'm not familiar with them... The texture shouldn't be a danger, but is there any sort of chemical in/on them?

Quote Originally Posted by Maharg View Post
    Breathing under ground is not a concern. Ive never heard of a hydroball but im sure its not a concern either. The light should be fine, even left on 24/7 as long as temp is right. The mice can be live, or frozen thawed if you wiggle the tail or tong feed. They do not recognize non living prey. Feed it a pinkie or a fuzzy.
    Many frogs recognize non-living prey. It's the motion that counts, so you just have to wiggle it with tongs (assuming your frog is used to tong feeding). IMO f/t pinkies from the freezer section of the pet store are safer for your frog and more humane for the mice than feeding live or killing yourself, if you can get the frog to take them. Lots of frogs will take f/t pinks no problem.

Nationality
    [United States]

Haha, nevermind if anyone saw what I wrote about the light I misread, and thought you were suggesting leaving the white light in the photos on 24/7! Yeah, like was suggested, red bulb all the time is fine.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I happen to know exactly what Hydroballs are and have actually used them. You definitely want to separate the coco fiber from the drainage layer of hydroballs.

They can breath beneath the substrate as long as it isn't waterlogged. Your frog should be Fed either pinky mice or fuzzies. No need for adult mice and the hair can cause constipation. If your frog is 2.5" SVL then he will be large enough to eat the sized mice I mentioned above, but only offer them once a month at most.

I would place less substrate in his enclosure so that he doesn't go as deep. How large is the frog SVL?

You can use the infrared 24/7 if you'd like and it will not affect the day/night cycle at all. The 5.0 Is too bright and can damage their eyes. These are nocturnal frogs and should be Fed at night.

Any further questions feel free to ask.

imetazoa

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    I happen to know exactly what Hydroballs are and have actually used them. You definitely want to separate the coco fiber from the drainage layer of hydroballs.

They can breath beneath the substrate as long as it isn't waterlogged. Your frog should be Fed either pinky mice or fuzzies. No need for adult mice and the hair can cause constipation. If your frog is 2.5" SVL then he will be large enough to eat the sized mice I mentioned above, but only offer them once a month at most.

I would place less substrate in his enclosure so that he doesn't go as deep. How large is the frog SVL?

You can use the infrared 24/7 if you'd like and it will not affect the day/night cycle at all. The 5.0 Is too bright and can damage their eyes. These are nocturnal frogs and should be Fed at night.

Any further questions feel free to ask.
    Thanks for the advice, everyone.

The mesh has not arrive yet. Do you think he will be ok for the next few days? He actually emerged from the hydroballs/substrate last night... he was hungry and ate some crickets.

What does "SVL" mean?

Also, when buying frozen pinkies or fuzzies, what are there general instructions for thawing and warming? Never fed an animal a mouse before!

Thanks

imetazoa

Quote Originally Posted by DVirginiana View Post
    What are the hydroballs? Can you describe what they do? I'm not familiar with them... The texture shouldn't be a danger, but is there any sort of chemical in/on them?
    I found the hydroballs at the local petstore.

"Use HydroBalls lightweight, expanded clay terrarium substrate as a base layer underneath Eco Earth (sold separately) or other substrates to create an underground water table in naturalistic terrariums. Add water for a natural "aquifer" and to increase humidity levels for all tropical species. HydroBalls are an excellent substrate for live plant root growth and can be used for biological filtration for a waterfall."

Attachment 41777

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Ok you should be ok till the divider comes but for next time you can use nylon screen, for windows, as a divider without any problems. As for STV it stands for "snout to vent" its the way you want to measure your frog. When it comes to thawing the mice, place the one your gonna feed in some warn water until the mouse is completely thawed and you should be fine. Good luck with your little one.

imetazoa

Quote Originally Posted by IrishRonin View Post
    Ok you should be ok till the divider comes but for next time you can use nylon screen, for windows, as a divider without any problems. As for STV it stands for "snout to vent" its the way you want to measure your frog. When it comes to thawing the mice, place the one your gonna feed in some warn water until the mouse is completely thawed and you should be fine. Good luck with your little one.
    Thanks! One last question - I have been buying gallons of spring water from the store. I use it to expand the substrate, mist and fill his water bowl, etc. Do I need to do any additional treatment to that water?

Nationality
    [Canada]

Quote Originally Posted by imetazoa View Post
    Thanks! One last question - I have been buying gallons of spring water from the store. I use it to expand the substrate, mist and fill his water bowl, etc. Do I need to do any additional treatment to that water?
    As long as it is spring water and not drinking water you do not need to add anything to it

Namio

Quote Originally Posted by imetazoa View Post
    What does "SVL" mean?
    Like Irishronin suggested, "SVL" is Snout-Vent-Length, a standard way of measuring frogs and lizards. Snout is the tip of their nose to the vent (butt-hole).

Nationality
    [Canada]

Namio likes the butts

imetazoa

Quote Originally Posted by Namio View Post
    (butt-hole).
    hehe - thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine View Post
    As long as it is spring water and not drinking water you do not need to add anything to it
    Not sure I know the difference between spring water vs. spring water for drinking? Sorry for my ignorance!

Nationality
    [Canada]

The drinking water isn't spring water, I imagine it is just tap water they ran through a filter. If it says spring water you're good

Namio

Namio likes the butts
    Hah, I do!

Nationality
    [United States]

Namio likes the butts

Wait! I thought that was me Lol!

Namio

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    Wait! I thought that was me Lol!
    Oh Grif, you certainly do, too!

imetazoa

Quote Originally Posted by Namio View Post
    Like Irishronin suggested, "SVL" is Snout-Vent-Length, a standard way of measuring frogs and lizards. Snout is the tip of their nose to the vent (butt-hole).
    I still haven't picked him up to get an exact measurement (he is still stressed out from the cage cleaning) but I think he has an approx. 3" SVL. Since he has started croaking and reached "sexual maturity," does this mean he is done growing??

Nationality
    [United States]

He has done the majority of his growth. He will continue growing but at a much slower rate.

Thread Information