Thread: Frog trouble, oh no!

LolaLoo

Default Frog trouble, oh no!

Hi everyone I have a little girl and she adores frogs, so I got her a new tank recently, a 10 gallon. Anyways, I called numerous petco's, and some small pet stores in the area asking for african dwarf frogs...No one carried them, which seemed odd to me because when I was a kid, I ALWAYS saw them being sold. We finally found one little pet store that carried frogs, The guy sold us 2 of them, one albino and one regular...I didn't know dwarfs don't come in albino until I got home and looked up some more info about the frogs...then I discovered that BOTH of them are african clawed frogs, and NOT dwarf! Now I am stuck with these two frogs and I don't know what to do I don't want 7 inch long frogs in my 10 gallon tank- there are a few little fish in there and I didn't know they would be eaten! i grew up owning african dwarf frogs and they were gentle, never ate any fish- etc....so since this guy either lied or didn't know his stuff, I've ended up with these frogs. I'm just upset....I feel like I was lied to. I didn't even KNOW that "clawed" frogs existed...I thought dwarf frogs were all that were sold to be kept as pets. Ugh....so frustrating.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: Frog trouble, oh no!

I'm no expert on these but there seem to be a few YouTube videos of albino African Dwarf Frogs kicking around? Maybe they aren't true albinos or something?

Do yours have webbed front feet or not? If not, they're the clawed version and being optimistic I'd expect it's more of a case of not knowing any better then them deliberately lying to you. Have you tried calling to pet store and asking to exchange the frogs for a refund?

This wouldn't be the first case of a mislabeled frog at a pet store, but give them a chance to do the right thing before getting too upset.

LolaLoo

Quote Originally Posted by UncleChester View Post
    I'm no expert on these but there seem to be a few YouTube videos of albino African Dwarf Frogs kicking around? Maybe they aren't true albinos or something?

Do yours have webbed front feet or not? If not, they're the clawed version and being optimistic I'd expect it's more of a case of not knowing any better then them deliberately lying to you. Have you tried calling to pet store and asking to exchange the frogs for a refund?

This wouldn't be the first case of a mislabeled frog at a pet store, but give them a chance to do the right thing before getting too upset.

I'm not really upset, I'm just disappointed....I'm worried my 10 gallon isn't big enough for them, and I live in an apartment so 10 gal is the LIMIT to what I can have I feel really bad, I don't want the frogs to be unhappy in there. My daughter loves them, and I plan on keeping them, they're our pets just like our cat is, but I don't know if a 10 gal is too small? Plus, I'm afraid they'll eat the other fish in there...ugh. Their feet are NOT webbed (front feet) so they're definitely Clawed frogs...I didn't even know there was such a thing- learn something new every day haha

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Give them time, they will grow on you and in no time you'll say "what fish".

RustyVegetables97

Here is one of the many reasons I never shop for live pets at pet stores. Anyway, I found an article that might help you out with your fish situation.

Fish that should NOT be mixed with frogs

1. PLECOS, CORY CATS, CATFISH, or any type of fish with spines or barbs on its fins or body.
    2. LARGE fish (Goldfish, Angelfish, Gouramis, etc.)
    3. AGGRESSIVE fish (such as cichlids)
    4. Crayfish
    5. Newts, Salamanders, other amphibians of diffrent species, etc.
    6. Turtles

1. These fish are DEADLY for a hungry frog. Frogs who try to swallow these fish have their internal organs stabed by the spines for barbs, which kills them. Even if you think the fish is too big for the frog to eat, the frog will try to take a bite. Plecos have spines on their fins and one bite in the wrong place from a frog will result in the frog being stabbed through its mouth or stomach.
    2. Fish that are too large can choke a frog that tries to eat it. Some frogs will take on more then they can handle and kill themselves trying to swallow a large fish. If an ACF tries to swallow a fish that is too big it will choke and drown. They wont go to the surface to breathe while they are swallowing.
    3. Aggressive fish are known to attack the frogs. Cichlids are very territorial fish and should never be mixed with any aquatic frog.
    4. Crayfish will eat young ACF and will seriously injure adults. Injuries will become infected with bacteria and fungus and the frog will suffer and die.
    5. Keeping these frogs with other amphibians is asking for trouble. Diffrent species of amphibians carry disease and can infect eachother, and the results are fatal. No amphibians of diffrent species should be housed together in aquariums.
    6. Turtles such as painted, red sliders, sliders, etc. will EAT these frogs and seriously injure them. Turtles prey on small aquatic life such as frogs, fish, etc. These two should never be mixed.

Fish you can try and keep with frogs

• small, fast fish such as tetras

Small fish pose no threat to a frog eating them. They are also cheap to buy and replacable (because you will be replacing them often). They have a little bit better chance of escaping an ACF's jaws then slower fish species such as livebearers.
    I suggest :

• Black or White (Skirt) Tetras - no longfins!

SNAILS
    Snails are not algea eaters, but are excellent scavengers. One large apple snail will help clean up left over food from ACFs (but are known to munch on your live plants too). They usually are not attacked and eaten by ACF, but my get kicked around a bit. (Although some frogs will eat snails)
    (Provided by In Depth Information on Common Aquatic Clawed Frogs)

Hoppity100

How big were they when you bought them? Were they under water as in a fish tank? I think African and dwarf are the same thing if yours were underwater frogs. Yes, they come in albino, too. I've only seen the type I think you have and fire bellies. Some stores occasionally have a bull frog (larger). How long ago did you purchase? If recent, and you have receipt, you might call the store and ask if they are getting in a new shipment and explain you need smaller frogs. Hope this helps.

Hoppity100

So, you have underwater type frogs in with fish? I'd have to know how big yours are.

Thread Information