Thread: Hurricane Sandy pacman frog survivor!

Misschievou2

Default Hurricane Sandy pacman frog survivor!

During Hurricane Sandy I lost all the power to my house. This includes having access to the internet, heat in the house, lights, and silly things we take for granted like hot water.

I was very lucky to finally get my power back after 6 days without it. My family and I were freezing cold every night with several blankets and using candle light to see. I personally waited 2 hours for 10 gallons of gas for $40 cash only. Guess who didn't get the cash memo! lol. Used my debit to withdraw so problem averted A lot of people aren't nearly as lucky as me and my family because I do have a roof over my head. A lot of families lost there homes, cars, and became very sick and died during and the after effects of Hurricane Sandy.

Cutting to the chase - I was very lucky that my best friend was able to take my frog in the meantime until I could take care of him myself. If lets say she had lost her power like myself. What would have been the best way to keep my frog from death by cold temp of 40 to 60 degrees without using a heating device that is power operated?

Heard there is a blizzard headed on it's way to New York next. Keep us in your prayers!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Maharg

Default Re: Hurricane Sandy pacman frog survivor!

Quote Originally Posted by Misschievou2 View Post
    During Hurricane Sandy I lost all the power to my house. This includes having access to the internet, heat in the house, lights, and silly things we take for granted like hot water.

I was very lucky to finally get my power back after 6 days without it. My family and I were freezing cold every night with several blankets and using candle light to see. I personally waited 2 hours for 10 gallons of gas for $40 cash only. Guess who didn't get the cash memo! lol. Used my debit to withdraw so problem averted A lot of people aren't nearly as lucky as me and my family because I do have a roof over my head. A lot of families lost there homes, cars, and became very sick and died during and the after effects of Hurricane Sandy.

Cutting to the chase - I was very lucky that my best friend was able to take my frog in the meantime until I could take care of him myself. If lets say she had lost her power like myself. What would have been the best way to keep my frog from death by cold temp of 40 to 60 degrees without using a heating device that is power operated?

Heard there is a blizzard headed on it's way to New York next. Keep us in your prayers!
    You will definitely be in all of our prayers. Stay strong over there, and im glad your friend was able to keep your frog safe.

4. This member thanks Maharg for this post:

Maharg

As for keeping the tank warm, do you have a fireplace to keep the tanks by? Im also pretty sure battery powered space heaters exist. Also, depending on how long power would be out for, you could try purchasing a whole bunch of those chemical heat packs. Secure them to the side of the tank and wrap the tank with those thermal safety space blankets that you would keep in the back of your car if you were taking a trip out in the boonies of alaska. That might work if you replace the packs as they cool. I think they can last close to 20 hours.

Misschievou2

Quote Originally Posted by Maharg View Post
    As for keeping the tank warm, do you have a fireplace to keep the tanks by? Im also pretty sure battery powered space heaters exist. Also, depending on how long power would be out for, you could try purchasing a whole bunch of those chemical heat packs. Secure them to the side of the tank and wrap the tank with those thermal safety space blankets that you would keep in the back of your car if you were taking a trip out in the boonies of alaska. That might work if you replace the packs as they cool. I think they can last close to 20 hours.
    Wonderful idea on the thermal safety space blankets. I'll look into it. I used just normal towels for a day or so and they didn't work because they did not radiate any heat. Thank you for the good idea!

frogsanity12

Where in NY are you? I am on Long Island. I had to wait 2 1/2 hrs for gas. I to had to move my frogs from one location to another. This hurricane really hit us hard.

Misschievou2

Quote Originally Posted by frogsanity12 View Post
    Where in NY are you? I am on Long Island. I had to wait 2 1/2 hrs for gas. I to had to move my frogs from one location to another. This hurricane really hit us hard.
    I am on long island too. Suffolk county to be more detailed. I waited 1 1/2 hours in the early morning hours when everyone was suppose to be either asleep or getting ready around 7am. $40 cash only like i was making a drug deal or something. Was the longest I ever waited for gas. ;p

Where did you relocate your frogs? Also how did you keep them warm in the meantime until you found a place that could take care of them?

I hope you and your family are safe and warm from the aftermath. I just got power yesterday so I hope you just got power too. Feels a little surreal not having to warm myself up with several layers and jackets and taking a hot shower not out of a heating pot. lol

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

You can buy some or those therma Pads used for aching sore muscles and stick them to the sides of the tank. Heatheranne keeps them on hand just incase. Its a great idea and I plan to stock up on hand warmers, heat packs, and Therma Pads just for that reason. We have a fireplace to help as well.

Misschievou2

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    You can buy some or those therma Pads used for aching sore muscles and stick them to the sides of the tank. Heatheranne keeps them on hand just incase. Its a great idea and I plan to stock up on hand warmers, heat packs, and Therma Pads just for that reason. We have a fireplace to help as well.
    Good advice! Thanks. Also good luck on the picture of the month contest!

Nationality
    [United States]

Good advice! Thanks. Also good luck on the picture of the month contest!
    LOL! Thank you!

She is a beauty isn't she?

Good luck to you as well .

Nationality
    [United States]

Good thing your friend could watch your frog for you!
    Our power flickered the other night, and the first thing I thought of was 'Oh ****, Trevor is going to get too cold'. Don't know what I would have done if we'd been looking at six or seven days without power! Glad I saw this thread; gonna go stock up on some thermo-pads.

Best wishes to you and everyone else affected by the hurricane!

Nationality
    [United States]

Okay, well that wasn't a curse word that got replaced by asterisks...

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by DVirginiana View Post
    Okay, well that wasn't a curse word that got replaced by asterisks...

The forum does that a lot Lol! Even if you didn't curse. If it thinks you're cursing it will star the word.

Nationality
    [Canada]

so glad you and your frog is ok, stay strong! we all are thinking of you, survivors, every day
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

frogsanity12

I own a couple of properties. I moved them from where I keep them to where I live. They were only out of heat for a couple of hours. I'm in Nassau. I have 2 houses out east. Medford and Middle Island. I wonder how those places fared during the storm. I hope you were not out in the Shirley Mastic area. I heard those places got hit hard.

Misschievou2

Quote Originally Posted by frogsanity12 View Post
    I own a couple of properties. I moved them from where I keep them to where I live. They were only out of heat for a couple of hours. I'm in Nassau. I have 2 houses out east. Medford and Middle Island. I wonder how those places fared during the storm. I hope you were not out in the Shirley Mastic area. I heard those places got hit hard.
    I live in the islip area which mostly had issues with electricity and falling trees. My family and I faired out pretty well actually besides being very cold. I am glad your frogs made it out of long island in good timing. I read another forum and they were very concerned about your well-being since they knew you personally and knew you had a place on long island. Now we both know to stalk up on those thermal squeeze pads. . bless you and your family and i hope everyone you love is safe and warm.

Thread Information