Thread: I might be on to something.

Maharg

Default I might be on to something.

About 13 years back when I was only about 10 I used to breed something called triops. I did it myself, and at only 10 years of age it was super easy and I had no issues breeding them. They lay eggs very quickly. Many eggs that you can turn around and hatch emmediately, or keep in suspended animation for decades if you want. I think they would make excellent food for frogs. They are very large, meaty and already full grown and breeding within a couple weeks. They are technically crustaceans, but the shell is extremely soft. A flea could bite through them. For 8$ I kept a forever reproducing colony for years. Think of them essentially as brine shrimp on steroids with extremely soft shells. Might as well be no shell at all. They are as soft as crickets, and triple or quadruple the size. What does everyone think?

How to Breed Triops | eHow.com

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...onteoscuro.jpg
    http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_li421d3tpk1qgipdb.jpg

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: I might be on to something.

Quote Originally Posted by Maharg View Post
    About 13 years back when I was only about 10 I used to breed something called triops. I did it myself, and at only 10 years of age it was super easy and I had no issues breeding them. They lay eggs very quickly. Many eggs that you can turn around and hatch emmediately, or keep in suspended animation for decades if you want. I think they would make excellent food for frogs. They are very large, meaty and already full grown and breeding within a couple weeks. They are technically crustaceans, but the shell is extremely soft. A flea could bite through them. For 8$ I kept a forever reproducing colony for years. Think of them essentially as brine shrimp on steroids with extremely soft shells. Might as well be no shell at all. They are as soft as crickets, and triple or quadruple the size. What does everyone think?

How to Breed Triops | eHow.com

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...onteoscuro.jpg
    http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_li421d3tpk1qgipdb.jpg
    Hmmmm...maybe. I'm not sure what nutritional value they may have. Might take some coaxing to get the frog interested since they are a aquatic crustacean. Are they slow and sluggish or sporadic.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

There like a horseshoe crab, I remember having them when I was young too. There were sold as "living dinosaurs" needless to say when they arrived, though cool, I was a little disappointing. Anyway I would do as much research as I can on them before feeding but it seems like it would work. What are you gonna feed them to?

Maharg

I believe they are more nutritionally valuable than crickets, especially if they are "gut loaded" in the same way. On land they would act like a fish out of water. Enough for the frog to get interested and eat, but a lot easier for them to catch than crickets at the same time. Im going to do some more research, then see about trying them with my young ornate Pacman.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Maharg View Post
    I believe they are more nutritionally valuable than crickets, especially if they are "gut loaded" in the same way. On land they would act like a fish out of water. Enough for the frog to get interested and eat, but a lot easier for them to catch than crickets at the same time. Im going to do some more research, then see about trying them with my young ornate Pacman.
    If or when you try them use a small one first. Less risk incase for some reasons the shell won't digest properly.

Pluke

I'm interested to see if this would work as well, although I can say I'd probably never do it myself. I can see with you not being able to get roaches this may be a exceptional substitute if they turn out to be healthy and actually have nutritional value to them. Other than that, just seems like kind of a hassle to raise compared to something like Dubias.

Maharg

If I go ahead with it, I will do so cautiously and keep everyone updated. I think it may end up working out quite well.

Thread Information