Thread: Chacophrys pierptti

spiderlover

Default Chacophrys pierptti

i just bought a pair of them today...can anyone share more information about careing and breeding of them please!!the reptile shop where i got them said that they are very rare now a days..is that true???thanks a million for helping

MALE

FEMALE

THANKS FOR VIEWING!!!!

2. This member thanks spiderlover for this post:

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Chacophrys pierptti

Care is similar to that of Ceratophrys species, but I know nothing about breeding them. They are rare and from the look of your female she is sick. Her eyes should not be bugging out like that.

spiderlover

i know that the problem of her eyes...but since i saw that she is eating very well and fat..i decided to give a try on them..does u know what causes the eyes to be like that??

AMKReptiles

They are beautiful good luck.. And get the eye thing treated ASAP, even tho it might be to late..

Namio

This frog looks like a spadefoot (Scaphiopus) in the desert and arid region of North America. Perhaps a convergence due to occupying the same niche/habitat in different parts of the world? I do not know anything about this frog but Wikipedia indicated they live in dry forests. Like Grif said, that haziness in the female's eyes is not good. She may be blind, or having other health issues. The male frog also has different pupil contraction rate in each eyes. Probably not normal and indicates potential health problem (or maybe just more lighting on one side of the frog, but I doubt that).
    My guess is that these frogs are nocturnal and they were exposed to constant direct bright lights when they're in pet shop or somewhere else. Living in the forest floor probably means they need to be more or less living in shaded areas.

Nationality
    [United States]

The female needs a herp vet immediately. She either has a bad bacterial infection or a Nematode parasite. Either needs a vet. The one pupil be dilated more than the other could be caused by a neurological problem or a lack of vitamins. Or as Namio said damaged by bright light exposure. These are nocturnal frogs.

Maharg

Im noticing the eyes were a lot more "normal" in the first pics. Over how long of a period of time were these pics taken?

spiderlover

i just gotten them today...i knew that they are from the dry area...so i am just keeping it on alittle bit damp moss...with a water dish ..hopfully it helps

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Maharg View Post
    Im noticing the eyes were a lot more "normal" in the first pics. Over how long of a period of time were these pics taken?
    The first pics Graham are the male. The female is the one with the swollen eyes.

Nationality
    [United States]

Just glancing at the female's eyes the first thing that came to mind was a bacterial infection. Get her to a vet ASAP... Otherwise I don't think she has a chance (I'm no expert, but those eyes really don't look good). At least she's still active and eating. Maybe it hasn't spread anywhere but her eyes.

Meanwhile, I'd suggest using COMPLETELY different equipment for her and keeping her in a different area from your other tanks. Maybe even the male too, if they came from the same place. Just saying, it would really suck to have your other animals coming down with whatever that is.

Maharg

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    The first pics Graham are the male. The female is the one with the swollen eyes.
    True enough. Wasnt looking close enough

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Maharg View Post
    True enough. Wasnt looking close enough

I do the same thing sometimes. None of us are perfect

spiderlover

i think the problem is due to the reptile shop are keeping them under constant bright light...but this is the first time i ever saw this frog and i know is not easy to come by..so i decided to give a try on them...as long she is willing to eat i think there are still chance...
    thanks for all the concern..but at this moment i need more information on them..anyone can help?

LizardMama

Beautiful frogs, makes me want to get some now. Poor female frog looks like she needs some extra TLC on them eyes

GeorgiaBulls

Really cool looking frogs.. Hope the female pulls through.

danhm87

Gosh... I just never saw how beautiful and wondrous the amphibian species was until i started this forum... these frogs are beautiful... take good care of them and get them to a Herp vet asap... if they are truly rare than its truly worth it

Pluke

I agree with Doc. You have some really cool frogs there and I think they are pretty rare, it's definitely worth a trip to the vet to get them some attention.The female clearly needs it and the male probably does, too. His eyes are out of whack with each other so something is definitely off.

Good luck with getting these guys back to proper health, keep us updated.

danhm87

Quote Originally Posted by Pluke View Post
    I agree with Doc. You have some really cool frogs there and I think they are pretty rare, it's definitely worth a trip to the vet to get them some attention.The female clearly needs it and the male probably does, too. His eyes are out of whack with each other so something is definitely off.

Good luck with getting these guys back to proper health, keep us updated.
    Lols third person to call me Doc spelled that way... i guess i found my new nick name :P

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by danhm87 View Post
    Lols third person to call me Doc spelled that way... i guess i found my new nick name :P
    Whoopsies! That might be my fault...

danhm87

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    Whoopsies! That might be my fault...
    At least your a man who admits his guilt

_(v^_^v)_

As i am guilty spending 10minutes on that emote frog

Thread Information