Pheathers

Default Color Changing Fantasy Frog

Name:  304272_270051429683048_2030680066_n.jpg
Views: 430
Size:  54.6 KBName:  551116_458276844193838_355261853_n.jpg
Views: 759
Size:  162.0 KBName:  222516_493546780666844_1493859093_n.jpg
Views: 2435
Size:  77.9 KBThis is my Fantasy frog "Boca" (means "mouth" in Spanish). I thought it would be interesting to show his color changes over time. The last pic is the most recent, he's been getting greener lately. I use to keep him on coco fiber, right now I'm using paper towels (he's been doing really well on them, and he has a cave to hide in).
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Color Changing Fantasy Frog

Welcome to the forum Pheathers! That is a very gorgeous Fantasy you have!

Namio

Interesting how the green just takes over. Beautiful! Are you afraid the feeling of a cold slimy frog in your hands? It's actually good to handle them with gloves on. I sometimes do that, too. We can have too many invisible harmful "things" on our hands, from chemicals to microbes.
    I think it's the color of paper towel that "returned" Boca's greenness. Welcome to the forum, btw!

Pheathers

Quote Originally Posted by Namio View Post
    Interesting how the green just takes over. Beautiful! Are you afraid the feeling of a cold slimy frog in your hands? It's actually good to handle them with gloves on. I sometimes do that, too. We can have too many invisible harmful "things" on our hands, from chemicals to microbes.
    I think it's the color of paper towel that "returned" Boca's greenness. Welcome to the forum, btw!
    I wear the gloves for his protection, I don't want him to be exposed to hand lotion or soap. And yes, since keeping him on towels has brighten the color.

Pheathers

I wonder if the color change is due to him trying to blend into the environment, or if it's the tanins in the cocofiber that dye him that way?

Pluke

They tend to change their colors to fit their surroundings. My green turned completely brown when I put him on Eco Earth, then I gave him some fake plants to hide under and he regained some of his greens.

Maharg

My Green Fantasy has also turned a lot more brown since being in eco earth. The store kept her in sphagnum moss and it was brilliant green when I bought her.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Pheathers View Post
    I wonder if the color change is due to him trying to blend into the environment, or if it's the tanins in the cocofiber that dye him that way?
    That is an excellent question and in truth its a little bit of both. They mostly change color to adjust to their surrounding and it doesn't hurt to absorb some of the substrates natural color in addition. They will also change color according to their mood.

Pheathers

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    That is an excellent question and in truth its a little bit of both. They mostly change color to adjust to their surrounding and it doesn't hurt to absorb some of the substrates natural color in addition. They will also change color according to their mood.
    Very cool. I know people have different opinions about keeping their frogs on paper towels vs. cocofiber. But I think in Boca's case, it has made him healthier and more active. His appetite has improved and he actually hopped around chasing a dubia the other day, something he hasn't done since he was a froglet. He does have a cave to hide in, which he likes. He'll sit at the mouth of the cave. I figured since he wasn't much of a digger, and he always seemed to get substrate in his mouth during feeding (despite being fed by forceps), the towel method could work well, and it has. The color change is just the icing on the cake!

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Pheathers View Post
    Very cool. I know people have different opinions about keeping their frogs on paper towels vs. cocofiber. But I think in Boca's case, it has made him healthier and more active. His appetite has improved and he actually hopped around chasing a dubia the other day, something he hasn't done since he was a froglet. He does have a cave to hide in, which he likes. He'll sit at the mouth of the cave. I figured since he wasn't much of a digger, and he always seemed to get substrate in his mouth during feeding (despite being fed by forceps), the towel method could work well, and it has. The color change is just the icing on the cake!
    Looks very happy and healthy.

Thread Information