Thread: Leptopelis tadpole care

BugBoy99

Default Leptopelis tadpole care

Hello Everyone,

How are you doing?

I just received the tadpole of what I believe to be Leptopelis natalensis. And, I was wondering if there are any specific care requirements for Tree Frog tadpoles. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,
    Joh

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Leptopelis tadpole care

Quote Originally Posted by BugBoy99 View Post
    Hello Everyone,

How are you doing?

I just received the tadpole of what I believe to be Leptopelis natalensis. And, I was wondering if there are any specific care requirements for Tree Frog tadpoles. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you'll
    Joh
    I can't seem to find anything on Natal Forest Treefrog tadpole care anywhere. Perhaps someone with experience with this species will be able to chime in.

Sorry I couldn't be of any assistance.

BugBoy99

Well, thank you for the effort nonetheless. I hope that someone will be able to help, but it seems to be going well. The tad is already sprouting back legs. So, it seems that I'll manage even if no-one can help. I just like to offer my tads the best chance that I possibly can.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Hi Joh:

According to Alan Channing, there isn't much known about the tadpoles of Leptopelis natalensis. They are able to climb up the sides of containers in captivity. Evidently, you need a secure lid. The substrate should be mud. Metamorphosis takes place in about 6 weeks.

Click for larger image.

Name:  img001.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  48.2 KB
    Terry Gampper
    Nebraska Herpetological Society

“If we can discover the meaning in the trilling of a frog, perhaps we may understand why it is for us not merely noise but a song of poetry and emotion.”
    ---
    Adrian Forsyth

6. This member thanks tgampper for this post:

BugBoy99

Thank you for the information, that adds some small things to my knowledge about the species. I will make the necessary changes tomorrow. I currently have the tadpole in a substrate-free tank. I usually keep them that way because it makes cleaning easier. I will bring some mud from the are where I collected the tadpole, to prevent contamination from another source.

BugBoy99

Thank you again for the information. I didn't have time yesterday to change the substrate, but this morning my tadpole was looking very lethargic and not eating. So, I thought about what could be wrong. I couldn't think of anything, then remembered that I was supposed to give him a mud substrate. It worked! He's looking much better now. He's eating, and he's moving around more than he has since I caught him. So, thank you very much.

I added a photo of the tadpole. Its not exactly top notch, but you can see the basics.

Oh, and I think that he should morph within the next week or two.

Sincerely,
    Joh

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Nice tadpole! Would like to see a photo after metamorphosis. Great job you are doing
    Terry Gampper
    Nebraska Herpetological Society

“If we can discover the meaning in the trilling of a frog, perhaps we may understand why it is for us not merely noise but a song of poetry and emotion.”
    ---
    Adrian Forsyth

BugBoy99

He is rather an interesting tadpole, thank you.. He's very unique compared to the other tadpoles that I have raised.

Thank you for saying that I'm doing a great job. It's been a bit touch 'n go with this one. Yesterday morning, I thought that he wouldn't make it. But, after the substrate change he's looking better than ever, and his legs have grown a little since yesterday.

I will make sure to start a thread with the photos of this little guy after he morphs, and some of before he morphed. I have a question though, and its a strange question too. Is it recorded behavior for one tadpole to nibble on another?

I have been keeping my two biggest tadpoles in the same tank. The one is a Shovel-nosed frog, Hemisus guttatus, tadpoleand the other is this Tree Frog Tadpole. However, when I cleaned their tank earlier today, the Shovel nosed Frog tadpole's tail appeared to have been chewed upon. The tip of his tail is gone! Is it possible that the Leptopelis tadpole had the Hemisus tad's tail for a midnight snack?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

It all depends on which tadpole is larger. Larger ones generally prey on smaller ones. That is one reason why the larger ones have a better chance of survival. However, the tadpole of Hemisus guttatus is on average larger than Leptopelis nataliensis. H. guttatus is one nice looking frog

Thread Information