Thread: Substrate Concerns

TeeRiddle

Default Substrate Concerns

Hey gang!

I've been using Eco Earth for substrate and have a concern with it. I use the bagged Eco Earth and have noticed quite a bit of long stringy fibers during the last two tank cleanings. They resemble long, fine hairs and they are very numerous.

I'm worried these fibers could cause impaction issues. I'm pretty careful when feeding, but you never know if the frog might be ingesting a little which could build up within his system over time. Are these fibers a danger?

Also, I found a local pet store that carries Zilla Jungle Mix. It appears to be a good product similar to Eco Earth, but the bag says it's made of aged Douglas fir bark and peat moss that's been ground up. It has the consistency of something similar to soil.

Has anyone ever used this substrate and is it recommended?

Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Substrate Concerns

no need to worry swallowing little amounts wont cause any harm if you frog is nice and healthy

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by TeeRiddle View Post
    Hey gang!

I've been using Eco Earth for substrate and have a concern with it. I use the bagged Eco Earth and have noticed quite a bit of long stringy fibers during the last two tank cleanings. They resemble long, fine hairs and they are very numerous.

I'm worried these fibers could cause impaction issues. I'm pretty careful when feeding, but you never know if the frog might be ingesting a little which could build up within his system over time. Are these fibers a danger?

Also, I found a local pet store that carries Zilla Jungle Mix. It appears to be a good product similar to Eco Earth, but the bag says it's made of aged Douglas fir bark and peat moss that's been ground up. It has the consistency of something similar to soil.

Has anyone ever used this substrate and is it recommended?

Thanks!
    Hello TeeRiddle,

Eco Earth does sometimes have a lot of debris within and you must sift through carefully before placing it in your frog's home. No substrate is free of debris and all should be sifted before use. This includes removal of long fibers that are part of the substrate.

Don't use the jungle mix. It contains chunks of bark and contains calci sand which can harm the frog's eyes and contribute to impaction. If you Fed in a separate enclosure it wouldn't be so bad, but can still pose a risk when the frog sheds.

Switch to the compressed bricks. They contain the same amount of soil and are cheaper. You'll still need to sift through the soil so you can remove any hazards before use. Buy these brick in packs of 3 and save yourself some money.

I hope this helps

TeeRiddle

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    Hello TeeRiddle,

Eco Earth does sometimes have a lot of debris within and you must sift through carefully before placing it in your frog's home. No substrate is free of debris and all should be sifted before use. This includes removal of long fibers that are part of the substrate.

Don't use the jungle mix. It contains chunks of bark and contains calci sand which can harm the frog's eyes and contribute to impaction. If you Fed in a separate enclosure it would be so bad, but can still pose a risk when the frog sheds.

Switch to the compressed bricks. They contain the same amount of soil and are cheaper. You'll still need to sift through the soil so you can remove any hazards before use. Buy these brick in packs of 3 and save yourself some money.

I hope this helps
    Howdy Grif,

I do go through the coco fiber to look for any weird stuff like rocks, large pieces, etc, but didn't really notice all the fibers until after it was in the tank. Oops, guess I didn't pay as close attention as I thought. I will sift more carefully in the future. That may take awhile with all the stringy fibers.

I tried using the bricks when I first got my frog, but I only needed like half a brick and ended up wasting a lot of it. Is it ok to store unused (but already wet) Eco Earth, say in a Ziploc bag or something for later?

I started using the bagged stuff because it was easier to just use what I needed the store the remainder for later, but the 3-pack bricks are much cheaper.

I'll not use the jungle mix. What I saw in the pet store didn't look like it had bark, but hard to tell until the bag is open lol.

Thanks!

Pluke

There is a simple solution for what to do with the left over Eco Earth.. Get more frogs.

On a serious note, before I was using the whole bricks I would use a hammer and chisel to break/split the bricks in half before soaking them.. so yeah, if you have something like that handy you could try it. Just make sure the chisel is clean.

Nationality
    [Canada]

I'm expanding a brick in a big plastic storage container and then whatever is left unused ( and already wet) I'm just leaving in there without lid on so it can dry. and for the next use I'm just adding water and another brick if needed
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Nationality
    [Canada]

Quote Originally Posted by Pluke View Post
    There is a simple solution for what to do with the left over Eco Earth.. Get more frogs.

!!!!!!! exactly! yes! that is a right solution to the problem!
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by TeeRiddle View Post
    Howdy Grif,

I do go through the coco fiber to look for any weird stuff like rocks, large pieces, etc, but didn't really notice all the fibers until after it was in the tank. Oops, guess I didn't pay as close attention as I thought. I will sift more carefully in the future. That may take awhile with all the stringy fibers.

I tried using the bricks when I first got my frog, but I only needed like half a brick and ended up wasting a lot of it. Is it ok to store unused (but already wet) Eco Earth, say in a Ziploc bag or something for later?

I started using the bagged stuff because it was easier to just use what I needed the store the remainder for later, but the 3-pack bricks are much cheaper.

I'll not use the jungle mix. What I saw in the pet store didn't look like it had bark, but hard to tell until the bag is open lol.

Thanks!
    I have stored unused substrate like that. just squeeze the majority of the moisture out and place it in the Ziploc bag. After sealed poke holes in the bag with a needle to allow air circulation to help prevent fungal growth. Always check to make sure it doesn't smell bad and shake the bag every few days to keep it mixed up. This will also prevent fungal growth. Its not foolproof, but I've had success storing what's left over this way.

Thread Information