Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 25G Fire Belly Project

Megalechis

Post 25G Fire Belly Project

A month ago I saw my first FBT, and having a spare ten gallon recently emptied bought him on the spot - with just my smartphone to do some quick research. A few weeks and much research later I bought a second.

Since then I've realized I'm very tired of small fish aquariums, and began slowly tearing down my 25 (US) gallon female Betta tank. This will allow me to move my two Fire Bellies into a larger, more comfortable, and more visually appealing home - with a bit of work. Still working on research for land based part of the tank, but figure having a thread to update will help keep me motivated.

Tearing down the Sorority. My last two females needing to be re-homed can just barely be seen. (Gray/White.)

The rough sketched plan. Hill looking section of top sketch meant to represent given area for assorted plants/rocks/driftwood, rather than a steep incline.

Larger Version

The two Fire Bellies who will be making the 25G their home in the future. Currently residing in a 10G.
    Original on right, beginning to look much healthier than when I got him(?)

To-Do List;

• Make a plant list
    • Build a secondary sponge filter
    • Acquire remaining materials
    • Replace aquarium lid

Any ideas, suggestions or helpful links very welcome.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: 25G Fire Belly Project

this looks like it's gonna be an interesting build. i definitely will be keeping an eye on this one. just a thought, but instead of 2 sponge filters under the land mass, why not just put one submersible filter? if you fill it with bio material only, you would only need to clean it every couple months. in fact, i have submersibles running that way that i haven't cleaned in i don't remember when.....lol and you get the bonus of not having to run the air pump, the tubing, check valves, gang valve, ect. fluval makes a nice one. it's their nano...goes for about $25 U.S.
    1.0.0 Oophaga Pumilio 'Black Jeans'
    0.0.10 Phyllobates Vittatus
    0.0.3 Phyllobates Terribilis 'Mint'
    0.0.3 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Patricia'
    0.0.5 Dendrobates Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Powder Blue'
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya Variabilis 'southern'
    0.0.3 Epipedobates Anthonyi 'zarayunga'
    1.2.0 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus'
    0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    1.0.0 Tabby/Maine Coon Mix
    2.1.0 Genetics Experiments
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

Megalechis

I keep shrimp colonies as a clean up crew for plant leaves and large excrement. I haven't seen a submersible yet that wouldn't hinder the Neocardina lifecycle, but thanks for the suggestion.

Hoppity100

You have a great idea! In fact, I think I'll get a larger tank, more FB's and have a ball with putting together all accessories: live and fake plants, more driftwood, more smooth rocks, I'd like them to have a cave or bridge, better land area, oh, and more friends. The more the merrier. These little guys are cute! They deserve a fancier home actually. I like your drawings, I may do the same thing also. You put alot of effort into it like I do. Mine also have a submersible heater and thermometer and they have a semi-humid environment, get variety of insects. I really would like 4 frogs.
    Last edited by Hoppity100; November 1st, 2012 at 10:46 PM. Reason: misspelled word

Quote Originally Posted by Megalechis View Post
    I keep shrimp colonies as a clean up crew for plant leaves and large excrement. I haven't seen a submersible yet that wouldn't hinder the Neocardina lifecycle, but thanks for the suggestion.
    Really? Hmmmm......been using the fluval nano for years with shrimp. And neos are the hardiest. I have used my submersible nanos in with crs, prl, oebt, and every variation of neo without ever a problem. Besides, i don't see how a filter hinders their life cycle. But it is your enclosure, just trying to offer some space saving tips. Good luck with it.
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

Megalechis

Took a better look at the Nano. The intake looks much smaller than the other submersibles I've used, so maybe I'll consider it. I'm mainly concerned with the young stages being preserved. One of the submersibles I picked up dropped my survival-to-adult rate down significantly. But I'll probably stick to at least one sponge filter regardless of what the other filter is. It gives a good foraging area for them.

Hoppity100

Because of your idea, I just ordered 2 more FBT's and will begin my new project. Thanks for your info!

Oh.....gotcha. you're worried about them getting sucked up. I never had that problem with the nano, but i know people who slip a stocking foot over the intake as an added precaution. What flavor neo are you putting in there? I'm picking up some crs, rcs and maybe a few prl from my breeding buddy this weekend for my paludarium.
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

Megalechis

Good luck, Hoppity!

I've got a year old breeding group of mixed genes between a more natural coloration and a rich red RCS. My primary female has been dropping both colors the past couple months, though those with the natural coloration have been living longer lifespans. One of my natural males is still from the original group, while all the red females have cycled over a few times. Looking to pick up another batch just to get the genes mixed again to ensure a lasting hardiness - and that flavor will just rely on what's available at the time of purchase.

I actually thought my reds had died out about six months ago. But someone must've still been carrying the genes, as about 25% and my largest/most prolific female are reds.

The naturals will always live longer. After all the selective breeding and then inbreeding afterwards, the color variants lose a bit of lifespan in the long run. It's the downside to all of it. I could never calculate life spans with mine, i had way too many. At times, i would have roughly 2000 shrimp in different varieties at one time.
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

Megalechis

My smaller ones there's too many to count, but I generally have a few of the largest that I can always remember by their markings, and when a new one reaches that memorable size I can make a rough estimate of the tank's success rate. They're generally the first to notice when I do feedings, lol, so that helps out too.

Hoppity100

Just wondered if you've started your new project yet?

Megalechis

I have the materials and plan for the new aquarium lid, but I haven't started anything actually inside the aquarium yet.

Hoppity100

When you do, can you post your results? Thanks, I'm going to start a new larger tank.

Megalechis

Project put on hold for a short amount of time. This morning brought about my second gerbil escapee in a week, so some of my frog project funds are going toward replacing the lid on my gerbil terrarium first.

Hoppity100

Oh boy...have you determined a room it might be in? If you listen at night, no tv on, take a flashlight, you might find it faster. Good luck. I set up my new tank today, took 3 hours! Now I need to clean my fish tank. Hope Mr Gerbil shows up okay.

i feel for you. we all do, i am sure. losing one of our critters sucks, no matter what the critter is. hope you find him quickly and he/she is ok
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

Hoppity100

My daughter's mouse escaped years ago. Had to wait till night and heard mouse under sink in kitchen cupboard. The mouse found his way to second floor bathroom. I ended up getting him out from underneath cabinet with a leaf blower. He was fine, escaped again, ended up back in kitchen, days and days later. Since we could not catch him, figured he'd chew wires somewhere, we had no choice but to use mouse trap. She decided never to have mice again, even though she loved them. Stuff happens.

Megalechis

Five hours of searching, and I heard him set off a leg-thumping alarm under my desk when I dropped an item. When I finally picked him up he was freezing cold and in a bit of shock, but I held him to my chest to warm him up, and he seems okay in his cage now, just a bit shaken and spooked. Just glad it wasn't the snake or frogs that got out. She could've slipped under the door, and the FBTs might've dried up.

Guess I'll try to make the project lid tomorrow. Today's pretty much been wasted all on the gerbil.

Hoppity100

Yep, I had a similar day. Glad you got her back.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information