Thread: I'm thinking of starting a small business

packer43064

Default I'm thinking of starting a small business

Hey all, I've been thinking of starting a small business or business venture if you will and breeding and raising different kinds of clawed frogs. I would breed them in 20 gallon longs on shelves and raise the tadpoles in 10 gallon tanks. All different kinds from Laevis, borealis etc....different colors....albino,reticulated,pied. I would sell the young frogs after they were old enough.

I've kept Laevis for 8 years now and had a Borealis for a couple of years. I'm no expert, but love these frogs and have tried to learn everything about them that I can.

I just want to experience the different kinds and if selling them could compensate for that it would help a lot. I already have quite a few extra tanks since I keep fish and several strong racks for the tanks from my bug breeding days.

I'm also into insects. Raising them and watching their life cyle is so interesting to me. Soo for about a year I raised many insects and sold off the extra. Mostly feeders. Crickets, springtails, pillbugs, mealworms, superworms, hornsworms, roaches, mantis, fruit flies....just about everything. It worked out really well, but just took too much time in the end with caring for each of their special needs. I still have a few left though. With clawed frogs, it's all roughly the same requirement or at least can be maintained in a tank. So I think I can achieve this.

I just want to experience the different kinds and if I can help others do that too then great. There's always people looking for Laevis or another kind and noone can find them. If I just make enough to front bills then great, if there's extra even better.

With all of that being said. What do you think of it? I know there's laws regarding not shipping african clawed frogs to certain states and such. Do you think it's achieveable? If I set my goals like I did with the bug breeding. Just as a hobby and if it becomes more then even better.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: I'm thinking of starting a small business

Hard to say, they sell X. Laevis in both the LFS here. One sells them for $5.79 and another sells them for $1.59!!! I figured at prices like that they wouldn't be a very profitable animal to breed. lol

i know plenty of people who thought they were going to be able to quit their jobs and breed shrimp and fish and guess what, good thing they didn't quit their day jobs the only real way to make it truly profitable is to breed in very large numbers and supply to pet stores. but then you would be selling them at wholesale prices. it's a tough business to get into. but if you can make it work, then good for you!! my only suggestion is to start slow, and don't rush anything. you also need to think of the market how big is the market for acf's? remember, things in the aquatic world tend to run in trends. you just gotta start that new trend good luck with it, i wish you the best
    1.0.0 Oophaga Pumilio 'Black Jeans'
    0.0.10 Phyllobates Vittatus
    0.0.3 Phyllobates Terribilis 'Mint'
    0.0.3 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Patricia'
    0.0.5 Dendrobates Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Powder Blue'
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya Variabilis 'southern'
    0.0.3 Epipedobates Anthonyi 'zarayunga'
    1.2.0 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus'
    0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    1.0.0 Tabby/Maine Coon Mix
    2.1.0 Genetics Experiments
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

packer43064

Quote Originally Posted by mpmistr View Post
    Hard to say, they sell X. Laevis in both the LFS here. One sells them for $5.79 and another sells them for $1.59!!! I figured at prices like that they wouldn't be a very profitable animal to breed. lol
    $1.59! I would have my 180 stocked ages ago with those prices. Their usually 7.99 here and sometimes you will see feeder ACF's for cheap like that, but nowhere near the quality as the ones to keep as pets.

The original "natural" looking Laevis might not be the best, but with all the variations and types (borealis, muerlli? Etc.) It could work.

packer43064

Quote Originally Posted by deranged chipmunk View Post
    i know plenty of people who thought they were going to be able to quit their jobs and breed shrimp and fish and guess what, good thing they didn't quit their day jobs the only real way to make it truly profitable is to breed in very large numbers and supply to pet stores. but then you would be selling them at wholesale prices. it's a tough business to get into. but if you can make it work, then good for you!! my only suggestion is to start slow, and don't rush anything. you also need to think of the market how big is the market for acf's? remember, things in the aquatic world tend to run in trends. you just gotta start that new trend good luck with it, i wish you the best
    Thanks for the encouragement. By no means am I quitting my day job, lol. I like my job and I want to keep it that way. Just something I thought of that might work out to some extent.

I don't think the market for regular ole Laevis acf's is huge. Maybe for...dare I say feeders! I used to have gars and when I used to breed my older female I would have way too many tadpoles and would just feed some off. Might sound cruel, but people do it all the time. I do think there is a market for some of the exotic species and different morphs of Laevis. I also won't be going fast, ijust get a few things here and there and see how it goes.

FriedrichsFrogs

wow i cant believe u bred all of those insects! your location, availability, and product demand will be the key factors in big profit, but id say if your acf's dont work out, continue to sell your insects. As long as people have reptiles and amphibians theres a demand for insect food

packer43064

Quote Originally Posted by FriedrichsFrogs View Post
    wow i cant believe u bred all of those insects! your location, availability, and product demand will be the key factors in big profit, but id say if your acf's dont work out, continue to sell your insects. As long as people have reptiles and amphibians theres a demand for insect food
    All of the insects were in a spare bedroom where we used to live. It was intense to say the least. Every bit of room was used for some kind of bug. The downfall is that they all need certain ways to breed or pupate or something special to breed. The only thing in common was that warm temperatures helped them grow quicker. I had a standing heater in the room. It was soo humid to work in there, but it was fun. From removing mealworm pupas to misting the several hundred mantis nymphs.

I need something easier to say the least, but still fun. That's where I thought about acf's. Might not be in as much of demand, but that's okay.

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

As long as your expectations are realistic and your focus is hobby first, you should not experience much disappointment. I do like your ideas as far as the more rare species and morphs.
    I know you will not be selling in Canada, but in my area there are at least 20 fish stores counting the chains. Only 2 sell ACF frogletts. One store sells wild types, albinos, and reticulated albinos for 7.99 always. The other store sells wild types for 19.99 and albinos for 24.99. Most people who I have know that have raised a clutch have had a hard time finding homes/stores to take them (including reticulated). I assume the stores that already carry them have their preferred breeders. That may be the case where you are at.
    I would think selling online will increase your sales greatly as you will not be confined and defined by your local market.

packer43064

Quote Originally Posted by rodsboys View Post
    As long as your expectations are realistic and your focus is hobby first, you should not experience much disappointment. I do like your ideas as far as the more rare species and morphs.
    I know you will not be selling in Canada, but in my area there are at least 20 fish stores counting the chains. Only 2 sell ACF frogletts. One store sells wild types, albinos, and reticulated albinos for 7.99 always. The other store sells wild types for 19.99 and albinos for 24.99. Most people who I have know that have raised a clutch have had a hard time finding homes/stores to take them (including reticulated). I assume the stores that already carry them have their preferred breeders. That may be the case where you are at.
    I would think selling online will increase your sales greatly as you will not be confined and defined by your local market.
    Would definitely sell online. Most of the fish stores around here don't have them. Or if they do it's expensive compared to how easy they are to breed.

Treating it as a hobby experience is the way to go.

packer43064

Been doing some more research. I'm a frequent forum member of monsterfishkeepers.com. I have made a few threads seeing if anyone would buy ACF feeders for their large fish. Seeing what the market looks like for them. I will still sell them as pets, but want to keep my options open for both ways.

Most of them thought it would be a good idea and would buy from me if the price was right. A lot of the polypterus (bichirs) owners liked the idea since they eat these frogs in the wild. I would rather sell as pets, but at least this is open to look at with more experience.

ccatgo

Fairly new ACF owner here....I received mine as a gift in a Grow-a-Frog kit and had no idea what I had until Tad 'grew up' and I started doing my homework. Have to say, I just love my little guy!!!

That being said, I thought I would enjoy having more, but my LFS here don't carry them, neither do the big chain stores. I am in Idaho which does not ban them, but I am surrounded by many states that do. Thinking that might have something to do with not finding them here. I think if you want to start up a business of breeding frogs, and you are looking at it as a hobby and have the time/space/start up $$, then go for it!!!

Have you thought about how you would be shipping the critters? What about guarantees on losses? Don't forget to think about the different states and their requirements on sales tax for online sales. How about a web page? I started a little web store, started - not finished, so these were all things I had to think about myself. When it comes to taking payments, I highly recommend PayPal and their card reader that attaches to your phone.

I am excited to see your updates on this adventure..... I would certainly consider purchasing from you!! Best of luck!!!

Thread Information